Thread: Anabolic Diet and Bodyopus page

TXfast is offline Junior Member

Anabolic Diet and Bodyopus

Shop Now
    Anyone here familiar with either of those diets? Bodyopus was a precontest diet for bodybuilders basically. The Anabolic Diet was similiar, but was touted by Mauro Di Pasquale as a long term solution for athletes wanting maximum strength and muscle while remaining lean. Both diets partially related to PB eating because they advocated high fat, high protein diets.

The main difference was they both advocated a very restrictive carb intake for almost a full week (less than 20 grams), but called for a "carb up" period anywhere from 24-48 hours depending on which diet you were looking at and individual variability. I followed that style of diet for 12 weeks when I was 22 years old and basically got shredded, down to 9% bodyfat. At the time, I was doing it purely for aesthetics and never considered doing anything like it long term.

Now I basically realize that PB eating is pretty close and I could see using either of those formats with my current PB approach. I would simply cut my current carbs down about 50-75 lower than I do now, and then have a 24 hour period of high carb intake. Personally, I think in a glycogen depeleted state like that, a single day of carb loading would be fine because insulin levels would be low the other 6 days of the week leading to heightened insulin sensitivity and plenty of room for glycogen storage in the muscle cells.
    I can only imagine if Grok and the family were to come across a patch of ripe berries back in the day, they would have happily feasted on them, so I don't see anything too far off base about the once a week carb load.

My goals are mostly strength oriented, but I also want muscular growth and low bodyfat.

Any input, feedback, etc on the idea?

IcarianVX is online now Senior Member
    I did the Anabolic Diet for quite a long time. The only reason that PB works for me better than anything I have tried in the past is that Mark laid it out in the book (and here) as to why all this shit is bad for you (i.e. grains, legumes, etc.)
    Maybe I just needed that kick in the pants, but the PB finally got me to where I never thought I could be. I liked the AD cuz it's pretty close to what we do now, I just skip the carb load. I do, however, still consume carbs after a heavy training session (squats, deads, oly lifting) but do not have an all out day like I have in the past. I don't spend 2 days in a fricken carb coma anymore either, which is nice.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

capt46f3 is offline Member
    See Ultimate diet 2.0 by Lyle Mcdonald. Better than the two mentioned. Man, those glycogen depletion workouts suck ass!

Even better? I had my best results consulting with Martin Berkhan doing the lean gains thing. Got to my leanest and strongest doing IF.

Meat is offline Junior Member
    I've been experimenting with glycogen depletion for a couple months now. I'll eat a negligible amount of carbs for a period of a few days and, suddenly, whereas the day before I was lifting massive weights with ease, my warmup will be difficult. I leave the gym without going any further than the warmup, head home, and carb up. The next day I resume where I left off.

When I say carb up, I mean I might throw in a large sweet potato and a salad. That seems to be all it takes. The next day I'm good to go.

I imagine I could just as easily eat a sweet potato every 3 days or so and never have to suffer a missed workout, but I'm still experimenting.

stephenmarklay is offline Senior Member
    I think that is about what I am going to try. I started a "body building" routine and now train 3 days and rest a day (or two). Today is going to be a day off and I am going to eat more carbs. Normally, I eat maybe a half of a Banana after my workout in a protein shake and some a cup of milk. Today I will eat a sweet potato etc and keep the fat a bit lower.

As a side note, in the 70's Arnold and the gang ate Eggs, meat and cottage cheese and on Sunday they ate everything (Pizza, Pie etc)
    They did this to stay lean and then to just let go for fun. Sounds familiar?

Frank Zane followed a very low carb diet and every 4th day on his off day he would eat a baked potato for the next 3 days of training. He did this in his low calorie contest preparation.

I am not going to gorge and feel bad so I will take the Zane approach. I did notice this week with my intense training that after 45 minutes I was a bit low on energy even with a Banana and Milk shake after my workout.
    Last edited by stephenmarklay; 06-20-2011 at 05:43 AM.