Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cyclists I need help with a bike page

Reborn Grokker is offline Senior Member

Cyclists I need help with a bike

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've signed up to do my first Triathalon, it will be a sprint Tri in Sept. I don't have a bike at all and I don't really know much about them. I'm looking at bikes on bikesdirect.com since we don't have a good LBS--I'm looking to spend no more than $400 since this my first tri. Could you look at the bikes on bikesdirect.com and give your opinions of what would be the best for the money within that price range? I'd really appreciate the help, thanks!

Heidi
    Heidi

33yo, 5'6", 158lbs, size 10 jeans

hiker is offline Senior Member
    Heidi -

OMG - I would be very hesitant to buy a bike online without getting fitted. As a woman, most likely a stock bike won't fit, unless it is specifically made for women. Case in point - Terry Bicycles. Plus, paying no more than $400 for a bicycle for a tri...Good Luck. The bike will most likely be heavy with cheap components and break down really easily. In fact, some are almost impossible to keep tuned.

Is there any chance you could borrow a bike from a friend, or possibly buy a bike from a friend?

Another solution is to go to a larger town or city that has a nice bike shop and get fitted. There are measurements that they take. Get a copy so that you know what your measurements are.

I have both stock bikes and a custom bike. On the stock bikes, I had to get shorter stems and on one bike the handlebars had to be cut because they were too wide (should be as wide as your shoulders). You will definitely want a woman's saddle, and I highly recommend the Terry brand - Terry - Women's Cycling Clothing, Women's Bikes, Saddles, Bicycling Apparel, Jerseys, Shorts & Skorts A good pair of shorts wouldn't hurt either - I like the Terry Bella model, and yes, they're expensive too. They do go on sale and that's when I buy.

I'm 5'8" 144#, and have a 34" inseam. I really wish I could tell you about which bike you should buy, but for $400 I really can't recommend any. The only way I'd recommend buying a $400 bike is if it were on sale - say about 1/2 price.

Sorry.

Hiker
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, Guinness in one hand, steak in the other, yell 'Holy Sh**, What a Ride!" - You bet, I stole it!

Date: 9/14/11
    Current Weight: 151.2
    Inches: 360.25
    Body Fat %: 32.7

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hiker View Post
    Heidi -

OMG - I would be very hesitant to buy a bike online without getting fitted. As a woman, most likely a stock bike won't fit, unless it is specifically made for women. Case in point - Terry Bicycles. Plus, paying no more than $400 for a bicycle for a tri...Good Luck. The bike will most likely be heavy with cheap components and break down really easily. In fact, some are almost impossible to keep tuned.

Is there any chance you could borrow a bike from a friend, or possibly buy a bike from a friend?

Another solution is to go to a larger town or city that has a nice bike shop and get fitted. There are measurements that they take. Get a copy so that you know what your measurements are.

I have both stock bikes and a custom bike. On the stock bikes, I had to get shorter stems and on one bike the handlebars had to be cut because they were too wide (should be as wide as your shoulders). You will definitely want a woman's saddle, and I highly recommend the Terry brand - Terry - Women's Cycling Clothing, Women's Bikes, Saddles, Bicycling Apparel, Jerseys, Shorts & Skorts A good pair of shorts wouldn't hurt either - I like the Terry Bella model, and yes, they're expensive too. They do go on sale and that's when I buy.

I'm 5'8" 144#, and have a 34" inseam. I really wish I could tell you about which bike you should buy, but for $400 I really can't recommend any. The only way I'd recommend buying a $400 bike is if it were on sale - say about 1/2 price.

Sorry.

Hiker
    +1 Tri is hard on a bike and rider my cannondale terra was 600 and i have put that much in it again ( of course i DID wreck it twice)
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i agree with hiker. don't buy a bike online unless you have a really good idea of the size, and have a good bike shop nearby that will be willing to size you if you didn't buy a bike from them.

i also like the idea of borrowing from a friend. i did that for a triathlon because i didn't want to spend the money on something that i wasn't quite sure i would like. luckily, i have a friend with a great bike who is the same size as me. now that i know i like it, i can start shopping for one of my own.

primalfamily is offline Member
    bicycle for extended riding really need to be decent quality and fitted. gosh, you probably need to spend 6-700 just to find a decent entry level road bike, most likely 1k. 400 is going to be tough unless you go hybrid cruiser.

here is an entry level road bike. double butted aluminum frame with 27 speed. low end shimano set. choice of frame size.

2011 Scattante R-330 Road Bike - Road Bikes

best to go down to better bicycle shop in your area and get fitted. I tend to get frame slightly smaller rather than larger. easier to adjust the seat/stem for proper fit.

good luck.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    It's your first tri -- and one that is geared towards first timers at that. It's only 12 miles. You do NOT need a road bike. There will be women there on Huffys.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

These people throwing around all this expensive bike geek jargon is making me angry. You people are being ridiculous.

Get a used Trek WSD (women-specific design) from the bike shop. Pay $100 to have it custom fit for you.

One thing to consider is the heaviness of the bike because you will need to be getting it on and off a bike rack OR in and out of the back of your truck/SUV. For that reason, I went with a little higher quality bike (as they are lighter), and I'm so glad I did.

Triathlon can become an expensive endeavor, if you allow it. Don't fall into that trap. I'm not kidding you when I tell you there will be people there on Huffys and running in Chuck Taylors.

Thanks TigerLily---I'm not looking for a GREAT Tri-specific bike, just something better than a walmart "off the rack" kind. My bike part is only 12 miles and I'm not sure I'll even stick with Tris. I really want some people who know bikes to look at the ones on bikesdirect.com and recommend which under 400 is better, I thought my OP was clear, but obviously not, although I do appreciate the advice.
    Heidi

Do you want a road bike (the kind that you lean forward upon, like in my signature) or do you want a hybrid (where you sit more upright, but with thinner tires than a mountain bike)? There will even be people on mountain bikes here. A sprint tri, geared towards beginners, is really low key. Pretty much anything goes.

I'd prefer an actual road bike so I can get used to the feel if I do decide to stick with triathalons and/or longer biking.
    Heidi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast