Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cyclists I need help with a bike page 3

Scotty is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    When you buy a bike from a reputable bike shop, your purchase will include usually two years of maintenance plus they will take it in trade-in towards a new bike. And your bike will need maintenance - cable adjustments, chain cleanings/replacement, etc. This will more than make up for any savings from ordering on-line.

Any reputable bike shop will have any entry level bike at your price point. Personally, I stay away from the big names - Trek, Specialized, etc - where you are paying for their huge marketing budgets. Jamis is one example of a company that makes frames every bit as good as a Trek for hundreds less only because they don't spend billions on advertising which is why you don't hear of them.

urpeite is offline Junior Member

name calling?

Quote Originally Posted by Bootneck View Post
    Hi Reborn

Don't listen to the bike snobs, they are talking rubbish. If you are only just dipping your toe into Tri / cycling this is more than good enough: Road Bikes - Dawes Sheila Women Specific Road Bike, for your needs. At the good/elite level the bike makes all the difference if everything else is equal, but ultimately its the engine (you) I am competetive MTB rider and I purchased all my bikes off the internet over the last few years with no problems. Just go to a bike shop and try sizes ask for help, they don't know your not going to buy, also print a web price off and ask them to beat or match it for a similiar or better spec, everyone is fighting for custom so you might as well try.

Good luck with the race.
    Boot neck I don't think name calling and insults are appropriate here. We are all doing our best to help. I'm glad your online purchases worked out, but you say you were a competitive mtn biker so you already knew something about bikes (I presume).

If you don't have a moral problem with wasting a local businesses time by misleading them and then sending your money to an international company, then by all means go ahead and do as bootstrap suggested to get fit. Also, when you bring in a sheet and ask them to match the components you are not understanding the transaction. When you buy from a bike shop not only are you getting the bike, but you are getting professional guaranteed assembly and warranty, as well as free service and fitting. What will you do if you have a warranty problem with your online bike purchase? Mail it back? Are you aware that shipping a bike will cost between $40-60 each way (and no they will not cover it). And that's if you know how to disassemble it for shipping! AND that's assuming they even have a warranty!!

Asking a bike shop to match the price of an online bike is akin to going to a steakhouse and asking them to match the price of raw steak at your local grocery store. In other words: ignorant.

Again, good luck with your race, and I stand by my recommendation to AVOID an online bike purchase at all cost. To save money: buy a used bike locally that you can try first.
    -pete
    Last edited by urpeite; 06-14-2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: spelling

Reborn Grokker is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all of the advice. My boss said he'll be able to get me some bikes to borrow/try out on rides and he'll help me find the "best bang for my buck" when I go to buy.
    Heidi

33yo, 5'6", 158lbs, size 10 jeans

Bootneck is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by urpeite View Post
    Boot neck I don't think name calling and insults are appropriate here. We are all doing our best to help. I'm glad your online purchases worked out, but you say you were a competitive mtn biker so you already knew something about bikes (I presume).

If you don't have a moral problem with wasting a local businesses time by misleading them and then sending your money to an international company, then by all means go ahead and do as bootstrap suggested to get fit. Also, when you bring in a sheet and ask them to match the components you are not understanding the transaction. When you buy from a bike shop not only are you getting the bike, but you are getting professional guaranteed assembly and warranty, as well as free service and fitting. What will you do if you have a warranty problem with your online bike purchase? Mail it back? Are you aware that shipping a bike will cost between $40-60 each way (and no they will not cover it). And that's if you know how to disassemble it for shipping! AND that's assuming they even have a warranty!!

Asking a bike shop to match the price of an online bike is akin to going to a steakhouse and asking them to match the price of raw steak at your local grocery store. In other words: ignorant.

Again, good luck with your race, and I stand by my recommendation to AVOID an online bike purchase at all cost. To save money: buy a used bike locally that you can try first.
    -pete
    Pete

If you consider "snob" to be an insult? Then you are a little over sensitive bud.

Also if you don't think 'shopping around' to get value for money for a product makes sense, then you are obviously rich or stupid? I want the best I can get for my money, and in know way is that immoral

Also from what I can makeout the American bike websites must be very poor as I have never come across one issue with bike web dealers in the UK they have been nothing but helpful.

urpeite is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootneck View Post
    Pete

If you consider "snob" to be an insult? Then you are a little over sensitive bud.
    Now I'm a snob, and I talk rubbish, and I'm oversensitive..... haha this just keeps getting better.

Shopping around is not immoral, misleading a bike shop employee into performing a service for free is a grey area. If you don't have a problem with it, then maybe karma will take care of it or maybe there's no such thing as karma. I bet you don't tip your server at a restaurant either. To each his own I guess.

When you shop around you need to compare the prices on equal products. Comparing a bike from the website suggested above is like comparing a McDonalds Cheeseburger to a grass-fed steak. Yes they are both beef. I guess that makes me a food snob too?
    -pete

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123