Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Losing more weight on high carb... page 2

bobbylight Guest

Shop Now

Eva, you wrote "if you are at all familiar with the mechanism that stores free fatty acids into fatcells in the first place (glucose-> glycerol> triglycerides) you know that it a ludicrous statement. and es tarlach wrote- comparig a lowfat diet to another lowfat diet and just varying the carbs is quite moot. "

Well that obviously isn't the mechanism for storing fat. IF that were true, which it is not, you could not gain weight on eating zero carb, which isn't true...the eskimos had no problem getting fat. You are obviously misinformed, because you CAN get fat eating little carbs and eating mostly fat.

Also, the fact that both are "high carb" makes the study even more interesting. How else do you explain the variations in the diets effectiveness other than some people (insulin sensitive people) are better at losing weight on high carb.

None of you have actually posted anything that refutes my argument.

GotPrimal Guest

Bobby,

It must be nice to pick your argument, hide in the corner, and then find one study that supports it?

You just truly do not understand what this forum is trying to accomplish.

When was this forum "all about losing that last 2-4% of body fat"?

Are we body builders? No.

Are we competitors? Mostly not.

Are we more than likely the average guy/girl who wants to become functionally fit and healthy? Yes.

Your little study that you carved out of Pubmed does nothing to help push the last question above.

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

"Tarlach, None of those other studies took into account insulin sensitivity or resistance."

Gardner did.

"None of you have actually posted anything that refutes my argument."

See my previous posts. According to Gardner, everyone lost weight on a low-carb diet, while only insulin-sensitive women lost weight on a low-fat diet. And Tarlach already explained the problems with the study you posted, from the perspective of a Primal/Paleo approach.

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member

fat cant be stored unless alpha-glycerol-phosphate is available to create the trigliceride that can be stored in fat cells. Alpha-glycerol-phosphate is created when carbohydrates are metabolized in the presence of insulin. Insulin is primarily driven by eating carbs.

challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

bobbylight Guest

GotPrimal, your argument is doesn't prove anything. I posted the study because it shows that different people do better on certain diets. I mentioned body builders because they get very low body on high carb diet, something that would be impossible if some the "science" that some people believe in on this site were actually true.

I think the last question that you asked shows a lot: "Are we more than likely the average guy/girl who wants to become functionally fit and healthy? Yes."

I am just wondering, do you think the overweight women in the study didn't fall into this group?

bobbylight Guest

Pikaia, link me to info on the gardner study then.

bobbylight Guest

"scientists have known for some time that fat can't be stored unless alpha-glycerol-phosphate is available to create the trigliceride that can be stored in fat cells. Alpha-glycerol-phosphate is created when carbohydrates are metabolized in the presence of insulin. Insulin is primarily driven by eating carbs. "

Eva, do some research on ASP (Acylation stimulating protein).

Let me just reiterate that if what you were saying were true, you could NOT get fat on a diet of 10,000 calories a day of fat. That just isn't true...not even close.

Seriously though, when you see pictures of eskimos, are they usually physically fit or are they usually overweight? Answer that honestly.

bobbylight Guest

"And Tarlach already explained the problems with the study you posted, from the perspective of a Primal/Paleo approach. "

There is no problem with the study I posted. Please tell me how it doesn't show that some people do better on higher carb diets.

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Bobby, just read my posts. I've linked to the Gardner data twice in this thread. Furthermore, it is contained in a talk that you claimed (in another thread) that you already watched. I don't mean to be mean, but I'm starting to doubt your ability to understand and retain any of this stuff.

bobbylight Guest

I don't really feel like going through and re watching it. Can you at least tell me where in the vid that it is.

Also, can't you just link me to the actual study?

Edit: Go to the 1:10 (1 hour 10 minutes) of the video for it.

OK, that goes against the study I posted. But I don't think it really refutes my study. I think more studies need to be done on it to truly know, but I still think that certain people do better on high carb diets.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast