Thread: Illinois "Ex-Lurker" page

kap
    kap is offline Member

Thumbs up Illinois "Ex-Lurker"

Hi all,

After a few months of lurking I thought it was time to jump into the fray.

I have been following PB since mid-January of this year. It has been relatively easy, with slow but painless weight loss accompanied by a far-greater level of health and fitness.

I used to be extremely active in my single, childless days. Running, X-C skiing, Paddling canoe and kayak competitively. My diet was typical endurance athlete fare: pasta, rice, potatoes, fruit, etc. That worked OK when I was working out 12+ hrs/week. But that was impossible to sustain with long work hours, two kids, and all the suburban family stuff. It took a few years, but I ballooned to 248 lbs. A couple years of yoyo-ing with WW and South Beach saw me lose and re-gain 30+ lbs. Then I found out about PB from a friend's son. I tried it and immediately felt great with it (OK, I had a little carb-flu, but that was short-lived). I also started working out regularly again. Now I LHT a couple of times/week. I do Tabatas on a Concept II rowing ergometer. I'm nearly as strong as I was 20 years ago. I am paddling pretty well again, winning several races in "lesser" classes. I even broke out the X-C skis last winter. The whole PB plan has been terrific. My quality of life, as well as prospective life-span have really benefited.

Stats:
    54 yrs
    5'10"
    Starting weight 241 (all-time high 248)
    Current weight 214
    Goal weight 184 (it might sound high for 5'10" but my lean weight was calculated to be 170 lbs)
    Hometown Far west suburbs of Chicago

I hope to make some positive contributions here.

Kevin

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Congrats on your weight loss and resulting fitness improvements! Good to see you come out of lurkdom!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Antmuzic is offline Junior Member
    Hey Kevin!

I'm new here too. Recently down from somewhere north of 230 to 210. I live up in the near NW burbs. Nice too see a local.

I'm originally from the west and have been meaning to take up XC skiing. How do you recommend getting started?

-adam

kap
    kap is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Adam,

Sometimes a club will have beginner's sessions. That can be a fun way to start. I have been away from the scene for a few years, but there were a few clubs in the area when I was more active. There is still one in Naperville - Nordic Fox Ski Club. There was one up around Arlington Heights or Schaumburg, but I don't know if it still exists. Some venues also have lessons, which are way cheaper than alpine lessons. The Wheaton Park District gives lessons, rents equipment, and maintains trails at Arrowhead Golf Club. Their equipment is pretty good - they even rent specialized skating equipment, which is terrific. And their course is hillier than the usual golf course (thank goodness!). You might also check with some of the better ski shops. They are mostly alpine oriented, but some have X-C offerings. Also check with REI. They are in Oakbrook Terrrace and possibly also somewhere up your way.

If you are up for a road-trip I would suggest two areas: Nine-Mile trail near Wausau, WI and Winter Park in Minocqua. I know Winter Park has everything you would need, with 70+ km of immaculately groomed trails going through rolling northwoods terrain. Nine-Mile trail should be similar. And Wausau has lots of amenities.

Good luck - maybe we'll see each other on the trails!

- Kevin