Thread: My parents are going to try Primal!! page

ElaineC is offline Senior Member

Cool My parents are going to try Primal!!

Primal Fuel
    Not the typical success story, but my parents are reading up on and going to try Primal living! I'm so excited, they did their research and ordered 3 books - The Paleo Solution (Robb Wolf), Loren Cordain's book and cook book, and Mark's cookbook!

They are helping me work on my house reno's for the next week or so, and I've promised to cook up some good primal fare. I'm seriously hoping they climb on board. They could both benefit from going Primal, and just having them investigate is a huge step in the right direction.

How amazing is that!

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    That's really awesome!! Congrats on being a successful missionary I bet you can easily cook them a meal that doesn't make them miss grains at all. I hope they come to accept primal as something that can come really naturally and easily rather than a "weird" nitpicky diet.

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Outstanding! How old are they? Existing health issues? Overweight?

It would almost be better if some of that was going on, because they'll likely see such fast, dramatic improvement the whole deal will sell itself.

Paleobird Guest
    Excellent. I just got my BFF who is 80 who I consider to be my second Mom committed to PB as well. She is going to do great on it because PB is all about going back to a simpler, less processed way of living. That's the way she learned how to cook. Everything from scratch and no part of the animal wasted.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    woot!

\m/

Polecatz is offline Senior Member
    That is great. I wish my parents would try it. I have been on at my Mum and I just end up feeling like a preacher. She tells me to watch my cholesterol and I say to her "how is it that Nan, who is in her 90s, has raised cholesterol (a family trait) and is still going strong (and refusing statins)?" My Mum says it is one of those things that you can't explain. My Dad is on statins and I am frightened they will kill him. His cholesterol was about 7. Now he is on a diet of low fat dairy, lots of **YUCK**whole grains, nasty fake spreads and little meat - I feel sorry for him as I reckon he secretly wants a steak. What books have people found useful to help convert parents? I'm reading the cholesterol myth at the moment...

Let us know what they think of your cooking and what you make for them...

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Both my parents are in their mid-late-60's, and tend towards fit-fat. Dad's pretty lean but has stubborn middle that won't go away, and Mum wants to lose 30lbs. Assorted other ailments like high blood pressure, thyroid etc are happening too, but they are convinced its just normal, old age stuff.

They are going to be up for at least 4 or 5 days, so I'll be having a ball cooking, which I do like to do! Dinner tonight is ham roasts from the happy, organic pig I put up

Shawn Mihalik is offline Member
    That's really exciting. I've been trying to get my parents to look into Primal for months to no avail. I barely got my mother to watch Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution tonight, which is of course full of CW, but at least it will help her think about concious eating.

newberrycrater is offline Senior Member
    Woohoo! That's great!

I had a breakthrough with my mom last week too. She agreed to let me throw away all the stuff in her fridge that contained soybean oil (well except for the new jar of Hellmann's but she's promised to abstain from it for at least three weeks.) I bought her olive oil based salad dressings and Wilderness Family Naturals mayo. She has also promised to go grain-free as well for at least 3 weeks. She was already low-carb and cooking her own meals from real ingredients. I also left her with some raw goat milk to drink. Previously I got her to start taking probiotics. And she's sporadically been taking cod liver oil as well. So the no soy and no grain was the next step to paleo transition. She's 70, at least 50lbs overweight, and has one knee that really bothers her.