Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: AbstractPersona's primal life! page

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member

Red face AbstractPersona's primal life!

Primal Fuel
    List of health improvements on the second post last updated October 2013.
    After a year of eating very, very low-fat SAD, because of gallbladder issues (or rather, having gallbladder issues because I ate very low-fat SAD? Who knows?), it finally got so bad I couldn't eat more than a small fist-sized meal per-day, and I couldn't stomach more than 4oz of water, yes, per-day! Yet I'd still get sick and vomit bile, bile, and more bile, every night, all night long until morning until I passed out, woke up mid-afternoon, tried to eat a tiny meal, and I'd start vomiting again. My stomach and esophagus felt like hard plastic because it was so irritated.

Mid April I had to go to the ER because it was even worse, I hadn't slept at all for a few days because of the pain. The medical staff wanted to remove my gallbladder right there and then, but they say they couldn't because my thyroid was so bad I would get thyroid storm during surgery, and wouldn't be able to remove it until we brought thyroid hormone levels under control after a few months.

I was in the ER from morning until 9 at night, and after having medication pumped in me to reduce my heartbeat, it had only gone down to 170bpm or so.

After I came home from the ER, my mother-in-law bought me some groceries. (I have no family nearby, and the boyfriend was out of state.) She read some alternative medicine books which said I should eat low fat and mostly vegetables (what I'd already been doing for months). She stocked my fridge with lots of vegetables.

The next day, my own mother visited me, by surprise, as she always does. She had no idea I was sick because I was hiding it from my family. I didn't want my family to know how bad my life was, I thought being sick meant I was lazy, good for nothing, worthless...
    My mom had brought lots of good food from home: dried cod fish, pulled pork with lots of lard that rose to the top, butter and cheese.... I felt so bad that she brought almost two huge duffel bags full of that, and I wouldn't be able to eat any of it!

But she said: "This is healthy food, there's no reason you can't eat it! People back home are much healthier and they eat this stuff all the time!". She's really stubborn so she made me eat it.

Luckily, I didn't have any grains in the house anymore, since I'd ran out. And with my mom's butter and lard, we didn't use vegetable oils.

With the vegetables my mother in law bought, and the meats and fats my mom brought, turns out I'd accidentally started eating Primal!

Well, I started feeling better. The two or three weeks my mom was here, I never vomited or felt pain. I was impressed, and though scared it would backfire, I decided to stick with it. I did some research, completely befuddled about how I could be getting better even though I was eating lots of fat. Eventually I came across some web pages that suggested a Paleo diet for gallbladder problems. I scoffed, rolled my eyes and called it a fad. Paleo this, Paleo that, then this Primal website that sold diet supplements... no wonder I was suspicious of it being a fad.
    But after reading more into it, I had to admit it all made sense. I mean, I had been eating that way, and I was feeling a lot better! Eventually I felt more brave, more adventurous, and kept increasing my fat consumption even more... and now I eat about 70% of calories from cholesterol and saturated fat.

Next project: thyroid. I have grave's disease (hyper-thyroid). In MayI was put on 40mg daily dose of methimazole (anti-thyroid drug) as a starting dose, which proved to be too strong, and it's making me hypothyroid quick! The endocrinologist insists on keeping this dose, but won't be checking the results until two months from now!

She insists on killing or removing my thyroid (with radiation or surgery) even though I told her I will not do it under any circumstances, no matter how much she tries to convince me. My gallbladder got better even though the doctors said it *needed* to be removed no matter what! I'm sure my thyroid will get better too. It seems she wants to force me into hypothyroidism with a strong dose. My accidental paleo diet already eliminated the vast majority of the hyperthyroid symptoms, even before I started taking the pills. dose was suggested based on the blood test results when I was in the emergency room in April. I don't trust this endocrinologist. It seems she's being irresponsible with my health.

I could tell by my symptoms that the drug was making me hypothyroid, which I'm sure is what the endocrinologist wants! Then she can tell me "I told you so, see, we need to remove your thyroid!" even though it would be the medication's fault!

I thought if in less than a month I was noticing that, how bad would it be by August?
    And once you become hypo with surgery or radiation, there's no going back!
    So I slowly weaned myself from methimazole, now I take 5mg daily, as a maintenance dose. I will order my own blood tests, and check with my GP to make sure the levels are OK.

Once I reduced the dose, the hypo-thyroid symptoms went away, and the hyper-thyroid symptoms didn't return.

I'm really lucky, I got to keep my gallbladder and my thyroid! I bet these idiots would also try to remove my heart if they could get away with it!
    Phew. Had to get all that off my chest, I've been sick for so many years.
    Last edited by abstractpersona; 10-10-2013 at 07:24 PM.

Miracle after a month, much better after a year, fantastic after two years! Last updated October 2013.
    (A ✓ icon means that it's cured)

IBS-Diarrhea
    It was so uncontrollable I had to quit working and I spent holidays at home alone because I was embarrassed to be around other people.

✓ Gallbladder pain + vomiting
    Completely gone now! I eat about 70% of calories from cholesterol and saturated fat every day.

My health was terrible.
    ✓ Constant hunger - unbearable hunger every hour that nearly made me kill people around me, my vision would go black, and I couldn't see anything. Someone had to hold me and guide me to a seat and grab me something to eat. It took a long time until my vision came back and I stopped shaking. This started around 2007 I think.
    ✓ Depression/Suicidal (Gone from hopelessly suicidal to cheerful about every little thing! No matter how bad things are, I'm always cheerful)
    ✓ Brain fog
    ✓ Unable to think logically (putting my hand in a running blender, grabbing a hot casserole from the oven with my bare hands, placing a hot pot on the floor and burning a hole)
    ✓ Clumsiness (at home, I guided myself by holding to the walls as I walked. Outside, I held on to a friend, and closed my eyes)
    ✓ Social anxiety / panic attacks
    ✓ Always too hot even in icy Maine winters; wearing just a T-shirt and still
    ✓ Unstoppable tremors
    ✓ Dilated pupils; extreme sensitivity to light (it was so painful I cried)
    ✓ Extreme sensitivity to noise
    ✓ Painful reaction to touch, I couldn't be hugged or caressed :-( It felt like my skin was burning
    ✓ Very very very bad reaction to even the slightest pain (things that wouldn't bother other people)
    ✓ Unbearable migraines, had to stay in bed and every little noise and light still hurt
    ✓ Large thyroid/goiter in my neck, now it's barely noticeable (I don't expect it to go away completely.)
    ✓ Bone pain (in lots of bones, they felt broken in half)
    ✓ Joint pain (I still get it if I eat bread and such... but! I can eat a whole loaf of real fresh sourdough bread with no problems. I can also eat baked products if the flour is fresh from a local farmer, and soaked in raw milk -- see Weston Price website on how to make grain safer to eat)
    ✓ Muscle weakness (dropping everything I picked up, a little book or a cup was too heavy)
    ✓ Granuloma annulare (scars on my hands and feet) (I can avoid it so long as the bread is sourdough, and flours are fresh, and soaked in raw milk)
    ✓ Constant thirst, no amount of water quenched it.
    ✓ Bloody nose after waking up, and often all day too
    ✓ Big painful sore on the left side of the top of my mouth; had this since I was a child (unless I eat grains for a few days in a row)
    ✓ Very long menstrual cycles (Rarely had a period, when I did they were really heavy and painful. Now 34 days apart, light, and not painful at all.)
    ✓ Acne
    ✓ Painful dry skin, and in the winter it would crack and bleed.
    ✓ Racing heart. Used to be 130 - 150 bpm when resting, 180 or higher if I walked or tried to exercise. Now 80-90 bpm resting, 110-120 biking/exercising. (I'm not taking any medication)
    ✓ Very, very irregular heart beat. Now it's always regular.
    ✓/✘ Blood pressure. Now it's generally normal or borderline normal-high, which is much, much better than before. I'm happy with this, I feel good now, but I still get pressured to get it lower (I'm not taking BP medication, every time I try it makes me exhausted just walking down the street, even though without it I can walk for miles without getting tired )
    ✓Food intolerance: now I can eat all the foods I became intolerant to in 2010 (dairy, grains, peppers, apples, lettuce, nuts, tomatoes, and a lot more I can't remember). The first year I needed to eat chicken/beef stock every day, and Twin Labs enzymes, now I don't need to. Dairy is better if raw/unpasteurized. Sometimes I can get away with pasteurized, but unpasteurized never gives me any problems. Grains need to be prepared carefully, real sourdough, or soaked in yogurt or raw milk. I still chose to limit grains quite a bit, I don't want to rely on it too much, there's more nutritious foods.

Other stuff: no swollen ankles and wrists, no dark circles under my eyes, I wake up early without a clock and go to sleep early, I can breathe through my nose now instead of my mouth.
    Last edited by abstractpersona; 10-10-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Too Much Information
    Not at all. Wonderful posts! Keep them coming.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Friday, June 10th
    B: Egg Muffin x2
    L:
    1 and a half Maine red hot dog. I wanted something other than chicken, but chicken is all the meat I have :-/
    Tomorrow is shopping day though, so I'll try to get something nicer.
    Coleslaw (green cabbage, carrot, green onions, all sliced thin) with peanut and vinegar sauce. Peanut butter is the only thing in the house I had that was remotely "coleslaw" worthy.
    D:
    1 and a half Maine red hot dog, and rest of the coleslaw. I was hungry but not too hungry at lunch time, so kept the rest for dinner.
    Snacks:
    Ocean Spray Strawberry Kiwi juice cocktail. 30 carbs. BAM! 25g sugar. BAM! Had 1 serving over ice.
    Ingredient breakdown at FitDay.

Exercise:
    • My planned 1.8 mile walk turned into an 1 hour walk instead, mixed slow and fast pace.
    • When I'm on the computer, reading forums, thinking about how to reply to an email, etc, I do weights (arms), crunches (easy, since I sit on a footstool), or stand up and do silly leg exercises.
    • Squats.

Sunlight:
    30 minutes. Arm, and lower leg exposure only. 1PM.
    30 minutes. Arm exposure only. 2PM.
    30 minutes. "bathing suit" exposure. 3:30PM.
    Hope that's good enough. We're getting a few rainy days soon!

Changes:
    • You know that fat by the armpits? There's barely any folds there anymore, it's pretty smooth chest-to-arm.
    • Since I want to go sunbathe outside, I tried on my "bathing suit": exercise shorts and a tube top.
      I still have Michelin tummy, but... apparently no back fat, and apparently I've got a waist. Interesting. Looks like I'll be buying a real bathing suit soon. The boyfriend is going to have the surprise of his life! (He's out of town for a couple of weeks)

Paleo must mess up with your mind, because there's no way 6 pounds can make so much difference in a month.. If anything, I should be gaining weight, because of methimazole.

Plans:
    • I'd like to stop eating dairy, after I go through what we have at home. I might still use butter.
    • I don't eat much fruit, maybe 3 servings a week. I'm going to keep eating it, because no matter how many vegetables I eat, it still seems to put me under 50g carbs a day, and that's probably not good (right?)

Weekly Stats:

• If you look at my caloric intake, it seems like I'm starving myself, but I'm NOT. I keep looking at that number, and feeling like I need to force feed myself. But I can't. I'm just too full! Most days I end up skipping dinner, and fasting until next morning, or eating some small snacks. I'm simply. not. hungry.
    • From my understanding, I shouldn't be too worried about Iron/Calcium levels, as the government's RDA is set very, very high.
    • Vitamin D I get through sunlight, though I might consider supplementation.
    Last edited by abstractpersona; 06-12-2011 at 06:48 AM.

Ugh. I have 60 dollars + some spare change to buy 2 weeks worth of food. Here WAS my plan... but I'm not sure if it's going to work. *gulp!*

Have:
    • Purple cabbage, carrots, onions, garlic, frozen broccoli & cauliflower & peas.
    • Chard, Mustard greens, and spinach that are going bad all too soon (bad planning on my part)
    • One packet of ready-to-eat tuna steak.
    • Four chicken thighs.
    • Wild rice. Might eat some so I feel full/satisfied... but will it give me cravings? :-/

Week 1:
    • Blackberries, strawberries, 1 orange, 1 lime, 1 Portobello mushroom, baby spinach, 2 red peppers, baby lettuce mix.
    • Shrimp, some kind of beef x3, salmon, 18 eggs, pork loin chops.
    • Coconut milk, pecans, cashews, tuna in olive oil, spearmint tea (I've got a sore throat, but might do without)

Meals:
    • Pecan Salmon with Chard and mustard greens,
    • Fun salad / kitchen sink salad,
    • Coconut Shrimp Curry (for my birthday! speaking of birthdays, if people gave me the 3 dollars they spend on a birthday card... that'd be a lot of money to buy food with!)
    • Spinach, Strawberries & hard-boiled egg salad,
    • Grilled Orange Asparagus + Lime Chicken,
    • Ginger Beef + Cauliflower Rice. (hope it works with frozen cauliflower)
    • Random meal with whatever is left.

Week 2:
    I'll just go and grab some vegetables: celery, zucchini, sweet potato, avocado, lettuce, olives.

Meals:
    • Warm Mushroom & Pecan salad + Satay Chicken,
    • Zucchini Shrimp salad,
    • Tex-Mex beef salad,
    • Beef w/ Indian-spiced Sweet Potato,
    • Chicken with broccoli or peas and some wild rice? (*shrug* need to get rid of them)
    • Spicy Pork with Cashew Sauce + probably some glazed carrots, maybe celery.
    • Random meal with whatever is left.

Special breakfasts / planned snacks:
    • fried egg on top of portobello mushroom,
    • berries & nut cereal + coconut milk (birthday!),
    • tuna on celery sticks,
    • tuna steak salad
    • the rest of the hot-dogs I've already cooked.
    • nuts and fruit, duh.

Sounds doable, right? But food is so expensive here @_@ Every time I leave the grocery store I think... "Now that's what I call rape!"
    Still, the meal plan sounds yummy, doesn't it... *salivates*
    Last edited by abstractpersona; 06-10-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Sounds delicious. Lots of the things seem, um, sorta expensive. Maybe could go with cheaper stuff. But you are the one eating it not me.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Saturday, June 11th
    B
    : Egg Muffin x1
    L: Salmon with minced pecans, broiled in butter, salt & pepper. Stir fried in butter & garlic: swiss chard, mustard greens and spinach.
    D: Leftover lunch.
    Snacks: Blackberries, pecans, coconut milk. Hot hot hot & strong strong strong brewed spearmint tea.

Exercise:

• About 40 minute walk.
    • On the computer exercises: arm weights, crunches, stand-up leg "aerobics".
    • Squats.

Sunlight:

• 30 minutes. Arm, and lower leg exposure only. 10AM, it was slightly cloudy.
    • The cat is bugging me to let her go outside, so I guess I've got no choice but go and read a book, while she chews weeds

Hedonist, you're right, some of the things might seem expensive... but I eat chicken breast all the time, so it's nice to have something different for a change. And it's not good to eat just chicken. I've also been eating junk for a whole year because of gallstones, so it's nice to finally eat real food. Oh, and did I mention my birthday is coming up? ;-D Got to have something yummy for my birthday!

But turns out the shopping wasn't too bad. I got 6 chuck eye beef steaks for $3.55, I didn't even bother getting pork, I'll just get it some other week. The salmon is big enough for 2 servings, and a snack, yay! I still have about 10 dollars left, which should be more than enough for vegetables next week.

When the boyfriend's back from annual training, we can go to the military commissary and stock up on meat, fish, and vegetables that keep well. Then we can buy some weekly vegetables at the local grocery store, and it won't break our budget
    Last edited by abstractpersona; 09-20-2011 at 11:41 AM.

Sunday, June 12th
    B: Portobella mushroom topped with an egg, both fried in delicious butter. Eggs scented with tarragon, dill, and lots of thyme, for some iron.
    L: More like a snack, didn't feel like eating a full meal. Chicken/egg drop/vegetable soup.
    D: Still didn't feel like eating a full meal, so I had 2 hot dogs, flatbread, and cheese.
    Snacks: Apple. Coffee (half water, half 2% milk that I'm trying to get rid of).

Noticed that the chicken broth we bought is... 100% fat-free... I have to ask the boyfriend if that makes any sense to him. Chicken broth. CHICKEN broth. I can't let him shop, I need to look at every single thing he puts in the cart. *sigh* He always looks carefully and grabs the lowest fat product.

Exercise: Come on! It's Sunday! Psssh!
    Sunlight: Nil. It's a rainy day.
    Last edited by abstractpersona; 06-12-2011 at 02:02 PM.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abstractpersona View Post
    Noticed that the chicken broth we bought is... 100% fat-free... I have to ask the boyfriend if that makes any sense to him. Chicken broth. CHICKEN broth. I can't let him shop, I need to look at every single thing he puts in the cart. *sigh* He always looks carefully and grabs the lowest fat product.
    I know what you mean. My boyfriend is extremely supportive and really does try, but he decided to make omelets this morning. We were out of cheese, so he made a quick run to the store and got more. Preshredded. I eyeballed it suspiciously...

Ingrdients:
    Pasteurized milk
    Cheese culture
    Salt
    Enzymes
    Annatto
    Potato starch
    Corn starch
    Dextrose
    Calcium sulfate
    Natamycin
    Note: Contains milk

Does that sound like cheddar to you?
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    Does that sound like cheddar to you?
    Ugh, it looks alright.. until the enzymes part! Not sure about "pasteurized milk". You should just be happy as long as it "contains milk"!

But Riiiiiiiiiiiiiita, real cheese is so expensive!

Oh, seriously, my boyfriend gets really upset with me when I get a tiny block of cheese for 5 / 6 dollars. Why can't I just buy the cheaper "cheese", like everyone else? I'm spoiled!
    Then he goes and buys a lot of "fruit" juices, and soda. Big bags of candy, chocolates also. And crackers (low-fat). Probably totals $15-$20.
    And it's all gone in a week, while my cheese is still there, ready for munching on, a month later. Yummy!
    Last edited by abstractpersona; 06-17-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast