Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: AbstractPersona's primal life! page 5

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Is hair loss a thyroid thing? I know when I did Weight Watchers (like an IDIOT; I blame WW for breaking me) I was losing a ton of hair and the people on the forums saw that as a good sign of weight loss.

I've been losing fat on PB, but not hair!
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    Goals for this week:
    How about doing the primal diet? ~_^ Not surprisingly, after eating so SADly, I've gained all the water weight I'd lost before, doh! Yay for looking pudgy!

Saturday, July 16

Have this weird thing going on that I'm hungry, but I don't want to eat/chew.
    B Berries, honeydew, yogurt. Coffee, coffee, coffee with whole milk.
    D Coconut milk pudding (coconut milk, cocoa powder, some unmentionable amount of sugar, tablespoon cornstarch). Lobster, mayo, bun.

Sunday, July 17
    Roasted the chicken, and it came out great. It was really easy!
    L Wendy's spicy chicken, Oreo frosty, fries. Coffee, coffee, coffee with whole milk.
    D Ice cream. Roasted chicken drumstick. Latenight snack: munched on honeydew and carrots.

Monday, July 18
    B Two small wedges of quiche.
    L OMG. This has to stop. I had pancakes. I wasn't even hungry, or craving pancakes/carbs. I don't understand!
    L2: could feel myself going for another binge, so grabbed a cup of mixed frozen berries.
    D Was in a bad mood and didn't eat dinner. Was able to stop myself from grabbing chocolate ice cream just because I didn't want people to see me "moody" :P

Tuesday, July 19
    B 3 bacon slices, cucumber sticks dipped in cottage cheese and 2 hamburger patties wrapped in lettuce.
    D Grilled Piri-piri pork, french vanilla ice cream.

Wednesday, July 20
    B Dakjuk (chicken, chicken stock, eggs)
    S M&Ms
    D Portuguese Caldo Verde soup (collards, potatoes, chorizo, chicken broth) - Use up all the collards and keep some soup to eat for breakfast.

Thursday, July 21
    B Leftover soup.
    S Pretzel
    D Sesame chicken with cauliflower rice; Caldo Verde leftovers.
    S More M&Ms. Rollercoaster cravings that started last week. You dummy.

Friday, July 22
    B 2 egg fritatta, in butter. Oh, how I missed eggs *licks lips*
    D Flounder with collards *shrug*

I'm going to stop tracking on Fitday until eating well becomes second nature. After moving to USA, my diet became basically high-grain and packaged food, and eating a lot of junk was encouraged while studying, watching TV, after every meal... even at school...

I miss high-school in Portugal, the school food was as good as our mom's food. Compared to USA it was like going to a fine restaurant every day! And even better, we had one hour lunch break to enjoy it... which we could spend at the cafeteria, or go for a walk at the town's gardens/plaza, or go to a coffee house for a cappuccino, or go to the beach and enjoy the salty air smell, and jump around in the waves with our jeans folded up... or take a nap!

Aaaaaanyway, I'm just going to concentrate on eating good food. Once the habit/desire for junk goes away, I might backlog my entries to see what I need to adjust from a nutrient-standpoint.

Recipes:

* Hamburger patties: 1 lb ground pork, 1 lb ground turkey, 2 eggs, minced garlic and onion, cayenne, cumin, salt and pepper. Optional: Parmesan or cottage cheese.
    * Quiche: 8 eggs, 1/4 can of coconut milk, a huge bunch of spinach, wilted in coconut oil or butter. Paprika, thyme. Optional: cottage cheese.
    * Dakjuk (chicken porridge): Shredded chicken, 2 cups chicken stock, minced onions, carrots and celery, egg. Optional: 1/4 cup cooked rice, a nice cracked egg on top of hot bowl.
    Last edited by abstractpersona; 07-22-2011 at 07:49 AM.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

Quote Originally Posted by ottercat View Post
    Is hair loss a thyroid thing? I know when I did Weight Watchers (like an IDIOT; I blame WW for breaking me) I was losing a ton of hair and the people on the forums saw that as a good sign of weight loss.

I've been losing fat on PB, but not hair!
    I guess so. Apparently it's common either in hypo and hyper people. I had undiagnosed/untreated hyperthyroid problems for years and I hadn't noticed hair loss.

Also heard it could be because of sudden/rapid weight loss, very low carb diets, or because of too much selenium, blah blah blah. Oh well. It's getting better, I stopped losing as much hair, but then again I'm back on the anti-thyroid drugs... so I guess that would be why !
    Last edited by abstractpersona; 07-19-2011 at 09:16 AM.

Saturday, July 23
    Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Trying to control the crazy cravings I've been having, which roller-coasted after the few ice creams I had. Look at my breakfast! To avoid going to buy a sweet treat yet again, I'm stuffing myself silly. I hope this works. I hope I won't fall into this problem again.
    • 2 hamburger patties, yogurt, honey and warm mixed berries. If I get junk cravings, I'm going to eat 2 eggs!
    • Didn't need those eggs after all. Evening meal: Caldo-verde leftovers, a can of tuna + olive oil and chili pepper paste, OHYUMYUM!

Sunday, July 24

• Natural fast until dinner-time: Beef loin with pan-fried buttery nutmeg sweet potato chunks.
    • A few Girl Scout cookies that the BF got for free. They're not as good as I remember O_o Doesn't taste like anything. The sweet potato at dinner was a lot more delicious.

Monday, July 25
    Would love to give up gluten 100%. I still eat it sometimes. Like those Girl Scout cookies. I'm not worried that it can cause weight loss to stall (I'm not in a hurry to be skinny), but I wonder if it would make autoimmune hyperthyroidism better. I'm due for a blood test soon, maybe that will be my motivation! Then I can tell them, "I haven't been taking my drugs, but I'm better, lala-lala-laaa-la!" .... which is true, I feel like a normal person again, but I'd like to confirm it with blood tests :-)
    • Small bite of hamburger patty, one big collards egg pancake with tamari. Tried some other Girl Scout cookies, they're so boring.
    • Not sure yet.

Tuesday, July 26

• Leftover collards egg pancakes. & ... girl scout cookies because I got upset that I dropped my expensive fresh coffee.
    • Lemon butter flounder; Green beans.

Wednesday, July 27

• BAS: strawberries, cucumber, bacon, hard-boiled egg, cottage cheese, mixed greens (bleh, who wants old lettuce? didn't eat it)
    • BBQ Pulled pork. Moose Tracks ice cream. I really need a punching bag so I can vent stress. Maybe for Christmas.

Thursday, July 28
    I am SO !*&#Y(!*# PISSED OFF TODAY so I'm just going to pay for a day-pass and hangout at a gym; if they kick me out because I've been there too long, I'll go to another, and another. If I don't wear myself out, SOMEONE's going to die, or worse, I'll buy-out all the ice cream at the shop.
    • BBQ Pulled pork (rib meat) with 2 scrambled eggs and olives
    • Curried sweet potato soup.

Friday, July 29

• Leftover sweet potato soup.
    • Feeling kind of weak, craving beef, not surprisingly. Instead ordered a Domino's pizza. Tasted like farts.
    Last edited by abstractpersona; 07-31-2011 at 09:02 PM.

Meal plan looks good! You can do it!
    I'm totally going to try making some caldo verde, sounds awesome

Give it a try, it's great once in a while if you're not afraid of potatoes. Make sure to roll up the greens very tightly and squeeze them tight on your hand, then sliver very thinly with a knife; don't use a cutting board like that person did.

Have fun ottercat :-)

Wanna hear a weird coincidence? A friend gave me a bunch of kale from her garden and said she was going to make a Dutch dish which has sausage, kale, and potatoes in it. Must be the universal happy combination!

Hmm I wonder what that German dish is. Kale and collards are my favorite vegetables, but it's so difficult to find tasty recipes for them.

Saturday: still feeling kind of weak, not surprising since I haven't had meat since days ago. Normal around this time of the month too, but oh well. Having those kind of steak cravings, which I had even when I never ate beef (yes, funny, I know, I always craved beef even though I never ate it, because I couldn't stand the texture since I was a little child). Anyway, feel too weak to do much, so got some take out curry from a good restaurant. It was a coconut curry with beef, peppers, bamboo; very tasty and filling.

Sunday: 3 egg omelet for breakfast, 4 big cookies for afternoon snack (tasted like farts); dinner: pork loin and green beans; how can something so simple taste better than cookies?

Monday: Ummm..... M&Ms for breakfast, a coconut larabar, popcorn for dinner, a bar of Emergency chocolate, Pepsi Max and a mango drink before bed. I'm so going to feel like crap tomorrow.

Tuesday: A can of tuna with EVOO and chili paste. A few bites of bacon. Lunch: Avocado, sweet potato and cucumber Maki, octopus and cucumber salad, raw salmon. Some chocolate. Dinner: Beef roast with peas (+ butter). Chocolate.

At this rate I won't be losing any weight, but I think it's best to concentrate on the positive: staying Primal is much better for me than eating SAD, even if I'm eating too many starches (carrots, sweet potatoes) or chocolate. Eating Primal is something to be pround of; atleast I feel great... as long as I eat plenty of protein :-D

Wednesday: 3 eggs with cheddar cheese and olives. Cottage cheese. Mousse (whipped heavy cream and 82% chocolate) with macadamias.
    Last edited by abstractpersona; 08-03-2011 at 01:24 PM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    No idea what I've been eating for the past week, probably Pepsi for lunch and ice cream for dinner.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast