Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: AbstractPersona's primal life! page 13

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    Wednesday
    Today was a rough day. Did a bit better today, but I should have eaten more. I had 4 medium eggs and 1 link chorizo in 2 tb butter.

No exercise, but typing this here I remembered I should go take my supplements (only have magnesium ATM). It will actually be quite refreshing mixed with some water. Might make me feel better too
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

Thursday
    Was out most of the day and got a lot of walking done, 3 hours or so. Ate my chicken vegetable curry with some rice before I left in the morning.

Got a vegetable stuffed pita at the corner shop and added some beef. There were lots of pickles to be had in that pita!
    Bought a pint of ice cream when I got my pita... I wanted cookies but thankfully they don't sell any. Ate half the ice cream.

Went to bed early and forgot to take my magnesium.

Friday
    Woke up early and finished the ice cream. And two cans of diet pepsi. Cooked some beef for my husband to take to work, why didn't I have any? Don't feel much like eating.

* Made a frittata with 4 eggs, 1/4 c ground beef, 1 red onion, 2 tb butter, 4 oz cheese.

Marathon cleaning + bike + kettlebell will be my exercise for today.
    Taking magnesium now.

Found pork butt for $2/lb vs the usual $4/lb, so I'm making pulled pork for the weekend to eat with some sweet potatoes and broccoli. And I found an awesome deal on half and half ($1.89 vs $3.50). Got a pretty good deal on strawberries too ($2 vs $5) but they were already going bad. Time to try making homemade strawberry ice cream! Oh, I really should have bought lots of half and half before the price goes up again...

Last edited by abstractpersona; 07-11-2014 at 03:38 PM.

Saturday
    Finished leftover frittata: 4 eggs, 1/4 c ground beef, 1 red onion, 2 tb butter, 4 oz cheese.
    1 sweet potato with 1 tb butter.
    Shared caramel popcorn with a friend.

Didn't exercise and didn't take sups.

Sunday
    Strawberry ice cream came out great. Wish I hadn't added the strawberries, it made the ice cream too icy. The custard was fantastic and I might just have to make it more often!
    2 cups half and half, 6 medium egg yolks, 1/4 c sugar, 1 lb strawberries (roasted in the oven)
    Drank the roasted strawberry juices and used pulp in the ice cream.

Haven't really eaten a meal yet, not hungry. I have pulled pork cooking and called husband to grab buns on his way home. Oops! It's only now that I'm typing it that I notice it's not paleo
    Going to cook some sweet potatoes instead. So that's going to be:
    1 cup pulled pork
    2 small sweet potatoes
    And probably a diet sprite for good measure. I'll take it with magnesium.

Probably not exercising today, tired from hauling heavy boxes around the basement. Really sleepy, can't wait for dinner so I can go to bed early.

Monday
    Munched on a few blueberries
    Skipped breakfast and lunch, what's up with that? I feel so much better if I eat a huge breakfast.
    Dinner: 3 squares shepherd's pie made from ground beef, onions, carrots, and peas, mashed potatoes, beef stock and butter.
    Didn't take magnesium, didn't exercise.

Tuesday
    Let's see if I can reset my bad IF, I need to eat a big breakfast to help my fatigue.
    Breakfast: 3 squares shepherd's pie.

(Planned) Lunch 2̶ ̶s̶a̶l̶m̶o̶n̶ ̶f̶i̶l̶l̶e̶t̶s̶ ̶(̶c̶o̶o̶k̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶c̶o̶c̶o̶n̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶i̶l̶)̶,̶ ̶s̶w̶e̶e̶t̶ ̶p̶o̶t̶a̶t̶o̶,̶ ̶b̶r̶o̶c̶c̶o̶l̶i̶.̶
    LOL nope! Got home, fell asleep pretty hard. Husband got home, was in a bad mood and said he wanted take out. I ate a ton of cheese breadsticks happily. Two hours later, my brain wakes up. "OMG THAT'S NOT PALEO!" Seriously, what IS wrong with me? My brain is too slow! If I think "that's not paleo", then I usually make the right choice and don't eat it. But most of the time my brain's too slow and I only realize it too late!

Exercise: 2 to 3 hour walk to grocery stores, consignment store, and drug store.
    Didn't take magnesium and now it's too late, I'll get magnesium nightmares.
    Forgot to order d3 online.

Last edited by abstractpersona; 07-15-2014 at 09:14 PM.

Wed, Thur, Fri:
    I didn't log it because I figured I'd remember later. Riiiight. What I do remember is that I was bad about eating breakfast and lunch. I'd go all day long and not eat anything until dinner. Otherwise, I ate paleo, except for yesterday. I went out with family and had a wheat wrap for dinner, with a diet coke, and when I got home there was a strawberry cheesecake ben and jerry's waiting for me.
    I've been pretty tired, no doubt from skipping my meals, so I haven't gotten any exercise. Forgot magnesium.

Saturday
    Breakfast: omelet with 6 eggs, and 3 ounces turkey. Just a smidge of butter. Taking magnesium now. With a diet pepsi
    Lunch (planned): I h
    ave a whole chicken in the crockpot, using it for curry with potato, carrots, and peas.

Tomorrow my DH wants to cook pasta with chorizo sauce, I'll have the sauce with sweet potatoes instead of pasta.

Posting at 4 AM because I can't sleep, I'm too angry with myself.
    Like years ago when I'd nearly stick my fingers in a running blender, or would literally grab pans hot from the oven with my bare hands, my brain seems to be missing that "DANGER!" siren telling you to stop and think before you act.

I went to buy a diet pepsi in the afternoon. There's a pretzel the store sells that I've wanted to try for a couple years now but I always forget. Today I remembered. I had no particular interest or desire to eat it, about as much desire as eating paper: no desire at all. Yet I bought it and ate it. Never did a thought not to eat it cross my mind. Nothing at all!
    After dinner I went to the dollar store to buy sticky notes and a spray bottle. I come back with cookies, snickers, and milk chocolate. Again, no particular desire in eating those things, yet I ate them all without my brain even questioning it or noticing that there's something wrong with that.
    I didn't want to eat any of this stuff, it's plain, it's boring, it's tasteless.

Ah, yes, my husband also had microwave popcorn, so I made a bag for myself.

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm fed up with this, but I don't know how to train my brain to actually think before I act. I've tried before without success.

I'm really upset and can't sleep, I never feel better when I'm sad until I can come up with a plan.

Came up with the idea to try a whole30, but I don't know if it can help me if my brain is missing that "STOP!" siren. In fact my brain completely forgets I'm supposed to do something, so I'll probably forget I'm doing a whole30 no matter how many reminders I make, even if I write "WHOLE30" on my forehead with sharpie, I'd still forget!

I asked my husband if he could help me stay on track. Or maybe even do the whole30 with me. I don't know if it will help.

Other stuff I could try?

Maybe buying a big mirror so I have a visible reminder that I'm working towards something important? If I look good I can think "that's because I'm doing so well with food!" If I look bad I can think "that's becaue I screwed up". That could help train my brain. I'll go see how much a mirror costs at walmart. Maybe I can buy 2 so it's bigger.

What else?
    I can try always having primal snacks around the house so I don't buy something when I'm out. Apples, strawberries... Can't do nuts. No baked goodies. How about freezing some custard? Frozen chocolate covered bananas? Cheese crisps? Black olives and pickles if I can find a good deal. Gelatin gummies?
    If I have this stuff around the house, when I grab some junk food, maybe my brain will remember, "wait a minute, you have XYZ at home!" When I get home I probably won't bother eating the XYZ, because I didn't really want to snack anyway. It's only a distraction/redirection to stop me buying junk.

Inspiration... my 2012 Before and After.
    Quote Originally Posted by abstractpersona View Post
    Baseball-sized thyroid: Nov/Dec 2010

Goiter (enlarged thyroid) is gone without medication thanks to paleo: Jan 2012
    (Don't hate, I've had that sweatshirt since 2005...)
    Quote Originally Posted by abstractpersona View Post
    Jan 2012
    Pants fall down to my ankles without a belt

Now I need to go back to my "after".
    I'm going to go get some sleep, I feel better now that I have a plan, even if I'm not sure it will work.

Once again I haven't been tracking but I've been doing a lot better. Unfortunately I've still been skipping breakfast and lunch and eating dinner around 7 or 9 pm. My goal is to finish eating for the day around 2 pm, unless I'm hungry for dinner.

Still need to go shop for fruits and snacks.

I just realized I'm generally an all or nothing kind of person when it comes to discipline. I remember writing about it in this journal a while ago. It would be boring, but if I make my goal to be 100% perfect without cheats or flexibility ("rice is kinda paleo, right?") then I would do better. If I try to be accommodating, it spirals out of control because it becomes habit.
    I'm wondering if I should start a new journal where I go at it as if I'm completely new to paleo, so I'll be strict with it.

Glad that I'm giving this a lot of thought so I can find something that works for me. I kind of need a friendly push/encouragement in the right direction but I don't really have girlfriends.

Sunday I had the pasta sauce with 2 sweet potatoes.
    Monday I had leftover chicken curry and vanilla ice cream.
    Today I had a stuffed vegetable pita with thin shaved ham, lots of mayo and mustard. Also had a few bites of my husband's whoppie pie (and again, I only realize now that I shouldn't). Had 1 liter diet pepsi. And more vanilla ice cream.

Not sure what to eat when nothing sounds good. I'm so hungry! Nearly bought cereal or bread, but that didn't sound good either, so in the time I was thinking about it not sounding good I remembered I shouldn't eat it.

There's a summer treat I like, my beef mince. I cook some chuck steak or London broil, then mince it in the food processor. I mince carrots, celery, and onions and stir fry that at high heat with a ton of chili paste, cumin, and garlic, plus LOTS of butter and coconut oil. I cook that until it's soft. I add the minced beef back to the pan and mix it all. It comes out really creamy and sticky, and is delicious with lettuce cups.

I shouldn't have typed that when hungry :-D Anyway, I really miss it so I'll see if I can cook it this week. Awesome summer food!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I guess it's not true that nothing sounds good, I just can't have it now :-)
    Shaved Brussels sprouts stir fried in bacon grease with some shallots and ofcourse, bacon pieces.

Why can't they sell this sort of stuff at fast food places during breakfast hours?

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213