Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: AbstractPersona's primal life! page 12

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    SATURDAY MAR 3

Finally getting back my appetite! I think the enzymes helped yesterday. When I went to bed, my stomach still felt really full and gross (like Thanksgiving dinner), but when I woke up I felt much better.

Now I can't wait until I eat lots of tasty food... I'm craving... shrimp, sushi, avocado and cucumbers... so maybe I should make some riceless sushi. Either that or I'll go to a restaurant tomorrow. Hmm..

Now that I have more energy I have a lot of cleaning up to do. Nic has been pretty busy so he couldn't make up for me around the house. The poor guy hasn't been eating well either, he's been too busy to even cook, and I didn't have the energy @_@''

Hmm today I ate...

2 strawberry 1 orange ice cream bars :P
    Chicken soup (chicken thigh, chicken/beef stock) I know I should be trying to eat some vegetables, but every-time I try, the texture feels all wrong, and makes me want to spit it out.
    (edit: managed to eat some boiled broccoli with my soup, just 4 little florets)
    Took 1 enzyme
    edit again:
    YAY, my stomach doesn't feel stuffed and gross!!!

Hmmm, so hungry! Made those rice-less sushi rolls, and I used:
    1 nori sheet
    8 red pepper strips, roasted
    half of an avocado
    1 can of sardines (King Oscar)

YUUUUUUUUUUM!!! I made an extra roll for tomorrow.
    Last edited by abstractpersona; 03-03-2012 at 06:57 PM.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

SUNDAY MAR 4
    2 oranges
    California sushi <3 <3 <3 and now I'm completely stuffed
    took 2 enzymes
    Peach iced tea
    Diet pepsi

I want to make this sardine meatball soup <3
    Sardine ‘Meatballs’: Iwashi Tsumire Iri Miso Udon | Kyoto Foodie: Where and what to eat in Kyoto
    Last edited by abstractpersona; 03-04-2012 at 04:23 PM.

MONDAY MAR 5
    2 bowls of pea soup (beef+chicken stock, chorizo, potato, peas,1 cracked egg)
    Took vit D, magnesium, and enzymes
    Really thirsty, drank 4 tall glasses of water

Haven't been posting but Ive been doing well. I've been eating very well, but also eating plenty of my banana pancakes and M&Ms. Not that I mind, as long as I'm careful to avoid things that make me sick, I'm ok eating my pancakes and M&Ms once in a while :-)
    Finally found a crunchy snack that won't make me sick... pork skins. Duh. Should have thought of that.

I'm only posting today because I feel like sharing something. This is for those that say Primal is too hard because you have to spend sooooo much time cooking and meal planning...

Well, this weekend, by chance I happened to have a lot of defrosted meat in the fridge (not sure how that happened!), and today I was starting to panic, thinking that the meat would go bad before I got around to cooking it. So I made myself cook it all tonight.

So about 8 PM, I grab the 4 chicken thighs, and the 2 chicken leg quarters. Preheated the oven to 375F. Placed all chicken with seasonings in a large pirex pan, baked it, you know the deal.

@@@
    While the chicken was baking, I cut:
    1 potato, 1 sweet potato, in small cubes = set aside in bowl
    2 carrots cut into 1 inch matchsticks, 1 large onion cut into thin slices = set aside in bowl
    2 carrots cut into thin strips (pinkie sized?), 3 parsnips cut into thin strips = set aside in bowl

@@@
    I also happened to have beef shoulder and beef ribeye defrosted (YEAH, I know, that's a LOT of meat! not sure how that happened!)
    So I...
    cut the beef shoulder into 1 inch strips, and made a marinade (*)
    minced the beef ribeye (and gave a lot of it to my cat, isn't she spoiled?), and made a marinade.
    Placed these in the fridge for another time.

marinade: lots of garlic, chili paste, a little ginger, salt & pepper, soy sauce, worchestershire sauce.

@@@
    To cook with the beef, I...
    Cut half a head of broccoli
    Cut half a head of cauliflower
    Cut half a butternut squash into small cubes

@@@
    Now, on the stove...
    One small pot with olive oil, cooked the sliced onions and carrot matchsticks.
    One small pot with coconut oil, cooked the sweet potatoes and potatoes.

Once these were browned/cooked, I added
    chicken stock + spices to the soup,
    coconut milk + spices to the curry.

@@@
    By the time I was done with all this, the chicken was baked.
    So I shredded the chicken. 2 chicken thighs to the soup, 2 chicken thighs to the curry, and the 2 chicken leg quarters I am keeping for a stir fry.

@@@
    Took the chicken bones from my meat, and now I'm making bone stock over night, tomorrow morning I'll put it in the fridge.

Total time:
    ONE HOUR AND THIRTY MINUTES
    And I got:
    Chicken soup
    Chicken coconut curry
    Chicken, broccoli, cauliflower, and squash stir-fry (good fried in bacon grease, takes less than 10 minutes to cook). If I'm sick of chicken I'll defrost some shrimp and add it to the chicken stir-fry.
    Beef (shoulder) stir fry with carrot and parsnips (fry in butter, it takes less than 10 minutes to cook) might add green beans if I go grocery shopping.
    Beef (minced rib eye) soup with broccoli and shallots (come on, it takes less than 30 seconds to cut a shallot) (might add a handful of mushrooms if I go grocery shopping)
    AND I even got to make chicken stock, hurray! That's one thing off my to-do list!

Not bad, considering I had no clue WTF to do with all that meat! Plus I got to watch almost 2 episodes of Jumong, can't complain!

For the other 2 days of the week I'm making fish, but that's a story for another time :-)

DISHES:
    mostly washed as I cooked, then 5 minutes afterwards.

So don't you suckers tell me eating Primal is difficult and time consuming. You can do it!

Abstract spiced sweet potato pudding cakes

Abstract spiced sweet potato pudding cakes

Cakes or pudding? See here.

Chop 2 small sweet potatoes and steam them.
    Then mash them. Run the mashed steamed potatoes through a mesh sieve so the result is smooth. Dispose of the leftover fibrous stuff. You'll need about 1 and 1/4 cups of mashed sweet potatoes.

(ACTUALLY you could just chop the potatoes and microwave them with a little water. Drain water when potatoes are soft)

Preheat oven to 370F

Whisk 2 eggs *, 1 cup of coconut milk * , and 1/2 cup sugar * in a saucepan over medium heat.
    Add the mashed sweet potatoes (about 1 and 1/4 cups)
    1 tablespoon ginger
    1 teaspoon garam masala
    a pinch of cloves, nutmeg, and good quality cinnamon (don't bother with the American stuff, it won't add any taste)

Cook and stir this about 10 minutes until it thickens.

Bake for one hour in a greased small square casserole dish, or 4 ramekins, on low rack. I use coconut oil to grease.
    (Please keep an eye on it after 40 minutes, the original recipe said 350F for 45 minutes, but at that temperature it took me 120 minutes! So maybe your oven will vary.)
    The batter should be about 1 inch high in the dish(es) but it will be tasty at any height
    You might need to bake it longer if it doesn't look caramelized all around.

Dig in with a spoon!, good warm or cold!

Notes:
    * I'm sure 4 egg yolks would be tastier, but I hate to trash the egg white.
    * For the coconut milk, use the thick part at the top of the can, not the watery stuff at the bottom.
    * You could probably use a lot less than 1/2 cup sugar, I bet 1/4 cup would be more than sweet enough. It probably wouldn't caramelize as well, though.

Original:
    Peppermill: Maw Gaeng - Thai Sweet Potato Pudding
    Last edited by abstractpersona; 03-20-2012 at 08:49 PM.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    NOM!
    that sounds fabulous, I'll have to pick up some sweet potatoes
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

You should! I swear, this stuff is better than cheesecake :-)

Did two tests (2 square casserole dishes). Cooked one for 60 minutes and another for one hour and 20 minutes. I like the 2nd one better, because you can cut them into square brownies after you cool them in the fridge a few hours.
    The first one is still really tasty, but needs a spoon for eating. I like picking up the messy brownies with my hands :-)

I'm seriously considering making this a staple dessert for Thanksgiving. . . I can already hear the cries as we walk in the door, "Did you bring the gooey caaaaaaaakes?"
    Last edited by abstractpersona; 03-20-2012 at 08:50 PM.

I can run!!!
    Was just walking to the corner store, then felt goofy and told Nic "hey, come on, let's run there".
    So he rolls his eyes, he knows I can't run. "No, really, come on!" So I start running... and he starts power-walking very sloooowly because he knows I can't run.
    Just a couple seconds later, I was around the corner, look back and ask "Heeeellllllooooo! You coming or what!"... so he finally gets over his shock and runs to catch up. Hehe! Ran some more with him, but stopped because the frosty wind was killing my throat. Running felt good, now that I know I can do it, I'll be sure to try it when the weather turns warm again.

Wow! The last time I've been able to run was... almost 6 years ago! I tried and tried many times, but I could never run more than a few steps because of pain, weakness, and depression/suicidal feeling from failure.

And it's not because I work out more now than before; actually, I'm more of a lazy bum than ever! So how can this be possible? Well, I'm healthy now Just like that. Wow. The human body sure is amazing. I feel like I went from a broken junk yard car to an amazing racing car. Vrrrooooom!

I haven't updated this journal since 2012. I was doing so well, but fell off the wagon after I moved and couldn't find any affordable groceries nearby. I just learned that walmart does price matching, so my plan is to use MyGroceryDeals to find cheap vegetable and meat prices, walk to walmart, shop and price match, then take the bus back home.
    I'll use MyFitnessPal and Runkeeper (and maybe Pact?) to stay accountable.
    { MyFitnessPal android weekly nutrition summary image goes on last day of the week post (Sunday) }

Monday

Breakfast: scrambled eggs and ground beef
    Generic - Egg, Medium, 4 eggs
    Ground Beef - Chuck 80/20, 6 ounces
    My Essentials - Sweet Cream Butter Unsalted, 2 tb

Lunch: chicken coconut curry
    Goya - Coconut Milk- Canned, 0.5 container (14 oz ea.)
    Chicken - Thigh, meat only, raw, 1 thigh, bone and skin removed (yield from 1 lb ready-to-cook chicken)
    Nutiva - Coconut Oil, 1 table spoom
    Onion, - Yellow, 1 medium 2 1/2"
    Potato - White Medium, 1 med/40UNCE
    Peas - Green, frozen, unprepared, 0.13 cup
    Carrots - Raw, 1 medium

Exercise:
    Tonight I'm hopping on the stationary bike while I watch some TV dramas (about 1 hour, maybe 2 if the drama is particularly good!).
    I̶'̶l̶l̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶c̶r̶o̶s̶s̶f̶i̶t̶ ̶k̶e̶t̶t̶l̶e̶b̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶o̶u̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶'̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶m̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶f̶u̶n̶.̶.̶.̶ (I got too tired to do these... had to take a break and rest. I might still sneak in a few minutes of kettlebells before bed)

Supplements and enzymes:
    Just magnesium, that's all I have at home.
    Last edited by abstractpersona; 07-07-2014 at 07:01 PM.

Tuesday
    I did so bad today (well, yesterday) that I don't even want to post it.
    Didn't eat anything all day, then I got hungry and ate the first thing I saw: kraft mac and cheese. Why did we even buy that stuff?
    By dinner time I couldn't be bothered to make something decent so I cooked another package of mac and cheese and added leftover ground beef to it. Just lazy.
    Then I wanted a snack, but I really have no snacks at home, so I bought some ice cream at the corner shop. In retrospect, I should have bought a block of cheese and made cheese crisps.

When I was shopping last weekend with my husband, we decided not to buy cheese because it's too expensive... so now I'm eating ice cream, which is also expensive

Next time I go shopping, I'm stocking up on cheese.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast