Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zero-Carb Fruit page

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I know. WTF right?

So I was at my local Wegman's, spending way too much money and wasting way too much time. They have a nifty little produce book that tells you about nearly every fruit or veggie you can imagine. I was tempted to buy some fruit so I figured I'd flip through and see what would do the least "damage."

Much to my surprise, the fruit I was craving (starfruit) only had about 7 carbs. I believe prickly pears were also less than 10. Several exotic fruits I found were very low in carbs. They're mostly water, I'm sure.

Most surprising was that I found 2 fruits that were marked as 0 carbs. One was horn melon, which I've tried and like. Unfortunately they didn't have any. (Must be out of season.) The other was pepino, also not stocked. That one I haven't had.

Just thought I'd share this interesting new find. I found lots of fruits that are much lower in carb/sugar content than berries, apples, pears, and all the "normal" stuff. I can't wait to start experimenting with unusual fruits, to go along with my love of unusual veggies and unusual meats.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

So cool, thanks for sharing!

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Indeed :-)

Thanks, DR! A new adventure....

halloweenbinge is offline Junior Member

Doesn't that mean they're pure fiber and water? Fruit has to be made of SOMEthing..?

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Just a guess, but I assume the amount of carb is so tiny that it isn't measured. Less than one carb, you know?

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

dragonmamma is online now Senior Member

I've never even heard of those fruits; maybe something that can be found at an Asian market?

I'm guessing that they probably have a taste and texture similar to cucumbers.

syzchan is offline Member

I had to look them up! They describe the horm melon similar to cucumber but the pepino as melon or pear-like. I'm intrigued by that! I wonder if any sweetness may be due to some natural sweetener like stevia.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

That's what I love about Wegman's. They have so many neat and interesting foods.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Forum search "star fruit" and whaddya know! Ole OTB has brought this up in the past. Quite a few times.

Carambola (star fruit) is now in season but always remains hideously expensive......unless your neighbor says, "Take all you want." I can't believe how prolific that tree is.

I eat them guilt free.

maba is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

That's interesting DR. When they say zero carb, does the entire fruit constitute a serving or only a part of it? Like lil_em says, if the carb content is very low, then they probably list it as zero carb. Just like those transfat-laden processed yuckiness, where if the transfat content is less than 0.5g, it can be technically labeled as trans-fat free. And those wily food-processors make the serving so small, so they can mark them transfat-free. But I digress.

I've never heard of either fruit, will look out for them. I've been getting starfruit/carambola off late to add to my BAS. They look so pretty and add just the right amount of both sweetness and tartness to my salads, kind of like pomegranate arils.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast