Thread: My first week of primal and I can't believe how great I feel! page

kimann79 is offline Member

My first week of primal and I can't believe how great I feel!

Just wanted to introduce myself to everyone.
    I've been a "health nut" for about ten years and have, as of Thursday of last week, managed to do a complete 360 in regards to my views on nutrition/health. Over the last fifteen years my health process has made some dramatic changes and looks like this:
    Vegetarian (with a focus on ice cream and sour cream Pringles)
    "Healthy" vegetarian (no sugar/white flour but lots of soy and whole wheat)
    Obsessive calorie counter (no more than 600 a day for a few years- nearly developed an eating disorder)
    Vegan
    Raw food vegan
    Weston A. Price based diet
    Gluten free
    Primal

I decided to "go" primal a week ago because I have been unable to lose these last stubborn ten pounds (since having my second daughter.)
    A few days later, having not lost any weight (of course!), I realized I would probably stick to this eating plan long term (with the exception of pizza in Naples and pastries in Paris.)
    The CFS I have struggled with for years is gone! So is the inability to fall asleep, constant food cravings (which I resisted with my incredible will power, thank goodness, but still appreciate not having), mood swings, and inability to wake up.
    For example...I went to bed last night at 10:30 and fell asleep in five minutes! Normally I go to bed after midnight and toss and turn for an hour. I woke up this morning at 6:45, without an alarm clock, and was able to make breakfast for my husband before he left for work. Normally I set my alarm for 9:30 (thank God my children are well behaved and patient!) and am barely able to roll out of bed. I also have not needed my daily nap since...yep, Thursday of last week. This incredible change in my life started the DAY AFTER I got rid of the grains. I'm beyond excited. I feel wonderful. I'm able to wait for my next meal instead of freaking out and having a meltdown when I'm hungry and I don't even shake!
    Finally, I am no longer bloated and have "regulated"....not saying any more about that but it's a big deal.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you Mark, for the information on this site (I skim over the caveman stuff since I am a creationist. ). I am not exaggerating when I say it is going to change my life.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations on seeing 'the light'

Just be prepared for the carb flu. Once you get over that it's pretty much smooth sailing.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Carb flu? That doesn't sound so fabulous. How long does it last and when can I expect it?

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Carb flu varies from person to person. Some get it, some don't. Some it's over in a day or two, others a week or two. Basically, it's when your body is making the switchover from burning carbs for energy to burning fat for energy. You could feel sluggish, headachey, stuff like that. But it might not hit you at all.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Rapunzel is offline Member
    I think the carb-flu might be more of a 'processed foods' flu....I ate only whole foods (biggest guideline I had/have for eating is to eat ingredients, not products with ingredients) before and didn't suffer at all from any fatigue/headaches/et cetera. I think it really depends on how you ate pre-primal.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well then I hope I skip that! I've eaten a pretty unprocessed diet for the last four or so years (very little sugar, as well) so maybe I'll not have to deal with it.