Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whole chicken on a grill. page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

Whole chicken on a grill.

Shop Now
    For Father's Day my son-in-law got a big, honkin' barbecue with 4 burners and a side burner for cooking other stuff. I've been buying the hot roasted chickens at the market, taking them home, tearing them apart, easier done when warm, and eating it through the week in various ways. A large family size bird is about 7.99. Since his barbecue has knobs with temperature settings I asked him if we could put a whole uncooked chicken in a pan turn the monster on, close the lid and cook it that way. Guess you'd call it roasting. It sure would be cheaper than buying one. I just don't want the chicken to turn out dry - that's inedible to me. Only thing left to do with that is to make chicken salad with lots of dressing. Does anyone have an idea at what temp to cook a whole chicken? (I know the size of the bird has to be considered) What temp taken in the thigh I think, should the chicken reach to be considered done? Anything you could suggest would be great. Thanks.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    do you have a rotisserie attachment for the grill? That will help a lot if you do. If you must lay it on the grill, you will want to whack it in half. Go here for a tutorial on how to butterfly a chicken. How To Butterfly A Chicken - The Virtual Weber Bullet

I cook mine at about 300 degrees (Med-low on my BBQ) for about 20 minutes (10 per side).

Happy grilling!

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    No rotisserie. We weren't planning on laying the bird on the grill. We were going to prop it on a soda can (drunk chicken) and set it in a baking pan. I am considering buying the rotisserie attachment since I spend so much every week buying roasted chickens. We live in the desert and its already too hot to turn on the oven. Thanks

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Try a stainless steel roasting rack. Put it in the middle and only light the outside burners so there is indirect heat coming from the sides. We do our Thanksgiving Turkey on the BBQ every year this way and it comes out super juicy and yummy.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    do you have a rotisserie attachment for the grill? That will help a lot if you do. If you must lay it on the grill, you will want to whack it in half. Go here for a tutorial on how to butterfly a chicken. How To Butterfly A Chicken - The Virtual Weber Bullet

I cook mine at about 300 degrees (Med-low on my BBQ) for about 20 minutes (10 per side).

Happy grilling!

I was just going to recommend the Virtual Weber Bullet too!

They also have an excellent tutorial on Beer Can Chicken, and on how to get butter under the skin of a chicken - which is a techniques I have been using for YEARS and was really pleased to see is now on their site.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    I have cooked a whole chicken on the grill without the can. I have tried the can method, but my grill cover isn't high enough and I've also had isses with the chicken falling over. I have a Weber kettle charcoal grill because I don't like gas. I bought this grill in the early 1990s and it's still going strong. I've had to replace the original wooden handles with plastic and have replaced the charcoal grate once.

I take a cheap aluminum pan and ring it with the hot charcoal so that the chicken cooks over an indirect heat. You do have to keep turning it. I have also cooked it directly over the coals, but it needs to be watched more closely. i also have cut them in half to lessen the cooking time and these I cook over direct heat. Just did 2 chickens that way on Wednesday night.

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    Beer butt chicken! drink (or dispose of) the top quarter of a can of beer, shove it up the chickens orifice and leave well alone. As the beer evaporates it will add moisture to the chicken leaving it lovely and moist.

Recipe

seaclam is offline Senior Member
    Beer can chicken rocks. Also, you can butterfly the chicken. Cut out the backbone and lay flat. Press hard on the breast plate to crack the ribs to get the chicken to lay flatter. Marinate in your favorite primal marinade. Lay bone side down the grill over indirect heat. Grill 30 mins , flip to skin side, grill 15 mins. Delish!

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    I've done a whole chicken and a whole turkey in my Brinkman smoker. Use a meat thermometer and make sure you get the inside of the bird to around 165ish or so and you'll be fine. Any cooking temperature over 230ish should get that done.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I'm a really crappy cook, but I'm learning...

My best tip for cooking any kind of meat is to get a digital meat thermometer with the probe that you stick in the meat then leave the cord running out through the door/lid. Attach the cord to the display unit, set the alarm for whatever temp you need and don't worry about it. Alarm goes off, remove the meat and it's all good. Never over or undercooked, and they're not very expensive for a good one, maybe $25 tops.

Let's put it this way... using the digital thermometer, my boyfriend actually thought I could cook. ;^)
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast