Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 week progress report page

ega2081 Guest

Primal Fuel

Ok, I am about two weeks into primal, and have definitely made some observations already. Anyone that cares to share, compare, or enlighten me...please do.

-I have noticed that it seems like I eat much more than before. I am constantly in the kitchen and just want to eat all the time. Not necessarily a bad thing I guess.

-I am steering clear of almost all sugar unless it comes from fruit or dark chocolate (my weakness).

-I am eating more dairy due to the availability of it in the absence of carbs.

-I have not noticed a notable difference in my energy level at the gym. (I thought I would have noticed more of a change)

-I am getting some grief from friends and family...lol which was expected and not a big deal due to my ongoing fitness/nutrition goals.

-I had went to the gym earlier in the afternoon and also for a walk. I will say today at approximately 5:00pm, I felt a like I was running low on something. Not sure what, I guess I kind of assumed sugar because I haven't been getting much. Anyway, it left me with an un-explainable feeling..maybe antsy, having a hard time focusing....etc. (I ate some peanut butter and half a banana and felt a little better. Any thoughts?

All in all, I am excited to see changes...

-Matthew

Del Mar Mel Guest

Hi, I'm just getting started as well and I'm sure I still need to fine tune a bit. Strangely, I've been gravitating to dairy as well which I decided I'm going to have to cut (at least the cheese). I think I will limit it to a cup of greek yogurt per day.

I run and today I felt like absolute crap on my run. It felt really hard. But then my pace was about 20 seconds per mile faster than it has been of late. This could just be random because I've had plenty of days where I didn't feel great but had a good pace. For some reason, my first thought was that I was eating too much dairy.

I also just focus on the fruits for my carbs which is generally post workout in a smoothie. Keep us posted. I'll be interested to see how it goes. I feel like I need to get a better grip on the dairy slide I seem to have fell into.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Your last point: You were most likely low on glycogen. I know that feeling - I experience that all the time during my weight lifting days. I eat a potato at night and feel ready to lift the next day! But a lot of people here don't agree with me in that you need carbs to replenish glycogen stores. Oh well. Do what's best for you. If you felt better eating the banana, that tells you something.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Osa007 Guest

Ega2081 - what have your daily eating habits been like? A sample, perhaps you could post...I think folks here could help more if you did.

I am wondering about the cardio exercise - that it isn&#39;t good for you & damages your heart..? I think Mark here has made some blog posts..and I&#39;ve read elsewhere that the body isn&#39;t designed for it. Short, intense bursts are better...or just walks/hikes - clearly, no one advocates being sedentary. Anyway, maybe one shouldn&#39;t be exercising long & strenuous? I&#39;m certainly no expert! I use to run a few miles each days along a trail up a cliff side....but, was also, essentially anorexic & extreme...those days long gone, thankfully. I now get on my rebounder which is so fun just jumping around for ten minutes vigorously then rest then do it again....I hope others chime in to help you & maybe those who know something about exercise and it&#39;s long term effects on the body & especially heart....

BlazeKING is offline Senior Member

Your low energy is because your body isn&#39;t used to producing ketones for energy and is used to a steady high stream of carbs. Give it a week or two and you will have more energy and more focus then you ever had before.

Some say listen to your body and eat more carbs. Well, consider this. If you stopped smoking or heavy drinking and you get headaches and low energy..does this mean you should go back and drink or smoke more? NO....it means stick with cutting them out. Carbs, especially high GI carbs are ADDICTIVE as hellll..

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

ega,

Might I ask a personal question?

Are you an LEO?

If so, PB can work really well for you...

ega2081 Guest

@kuno1chi, yes I am a full time LEO...DO you know LEOs that are currently Primal? What do you have for info?

@Blazeking, I agree...I am going to continue low carb and see where it takes me. Its funny cause I actually thought of that when I was getting that "feeling". I wondered if that was a similar feeling that drug and alcohol addicts go through....lol Im sure its worse.

As far as my normal diet goes, I am waking up and usually having a low sugar protein shake with a half banana and a little peanut butter. The rest of the day is basically constant snaking until supper time. The snacks are consisting of cheese, HB eggs, small salads with chicken, protein shakes, dark chocolate occasionally, and some almonds.

Any suggestions or critiques are welcomed

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

You are going through sugar withdrawl... it happens. I felt it too when i started. Like after you eat, you&#39;re full but you feel like your missing something.

It will pass...

ega2081 Guest

Good to know.....

Griff is offline Senior Member

ega: Many people call that the "low-carb flu." I had it for a couple of days; my husband had it for nearly a month because he was doing PB half-assed and trying to still have carbs. When he cut out all carbs, it went away within a few days.

I&#39;d say stop eating the fruit and the chocolate. Go no-carb, or as close as you can, for several weeks. Then *cautiously* add carbs back (but in very small amounts, and avoid grains and beans).

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast