Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: A question for other busy Moms page

  1. #1
    Gloworm's Avatar
    Gloworm is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    57

    A question for other busy Moms

    Shop Now
    Hey! So, I'm a busy, single mom. I have approximately 28 minutes a day to work out. I have no problem hitting it really hard in that time frame. The problem I'm having is finding time for the long, low heart rate part. Mark says "go for a 3.5 hour hike!"....I'd love nothing more but my son is 5 and not able to do that and I'm not QUITE strong enough to carry him for that long I've been doing 15-20 minutes on the elliptical at a very high (hard and slow) setting about 5x a week, along with sprints 2x a week and LHT as often as feels right. It feels good. Just wondering if anyone has other ideas? Thanks!
    www.ohcrappottytraining.com
    This isn't what I wanted to be when I grew up; a potty trainer.
    I wanted to be a pirate. Well. You know how that goes.

  2. #2
    Shamra Byrne's Avatar
    Shamra Byrne Guest
    There is a great workout called Turbulence Training that takes only 30-45 minutes to complete and improves both cardiovascular fitness and strength. There is an image with a link to it in the sidebar of my blog: Grass Fed Beauty. I am an affiliate for this product, so I will receive a commission if you buy if from there, but I recommend it so highly that I would tell you to check it out even if I didn't get anything for it.

  3. #3
    Rapunzel's Avatar
    Rapunzel is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    AK-Rowdy, Ohio
    Posts
    85
    I'm not a mom, but I work FT and go to university FT, so my time is probably just as limited as yours. I don't do a whole lot of the primal exercises (I do body weight exercises [love love love push-ups] occasionally run stairs when I need to clear my head). You don't have to set aside time for 3+ hours of hiking, but doing smaller things like parking as far away as possible from your destination (extra bonuses: no more dings from people's car doors/shopping carts) or taking the stairs will definitely add up.

    When I'm around my niece, I have NO problem using her for strength training. Tossing (and catching) a kid for 10-15 minutes will work your arm and leg muscles, laying on the floor and doing 'airplane' with her (legs and arms, depending on how high my niece is comfortable with that day). Kids even work kinda well as kettlebell exercises with the swinging motion.

    I'm sure most day-to-day chores if done repetitively (raking, sweeping, lifting groceries, et cetera) are great exercises in and of themselves.
    Warning: I'm the most laid-back primal gal you'll ever meet.

  4. #4
    gojirama's Avatar
    gojirama is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    674
    Jilliam Michaels 30 day shred. 3 workouts, each 25 minutes of interval training.
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

  5. #5
    belinda's Avatar
    belinda is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,507
    Get a trail-a-bike and do some hour-long bike rides with your son Maybe end up at a park where you can play on the equipment.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

    F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

  6. #6
    trapperjohnme's Avatar
    trapperjohnme is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    western arkansas
    Posts
    249
    im in a similiar situation, I am a single dad of a 4yo and a 6 yo. the key is to keep moving. Remember mark says low level activity 3-5 hours per week. I assume you have some time to play with your child, can you play outside with him for an hour 3-5 times a week? i know from experience five your olds have lots of energy and can keep you going for an hour! you can also do some sort of tabata drill once or twice a week in 4 minutes. and have a few short bodyweight sessions. Us primal single parents have to be creative!

  7. #7
    Hedonist's Avatar
    Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    2,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloworm View Post
    Hey! So, I'm a busy, single mom. I have approximately 28 minutes a day to work out. I have no problem hitting it really hard in that time frame. The problem I'm having is finding time for the long, low heart rate part. Mark says "go for a 3.5 hour hike!"....I'd love nothing more but my son is 5 and not able to do that and I'm not QUITE strong enough to carry him for that long I've been doing 15-20 minutes on the elliptical at a very high (hard and slow) setting about 5x a week, along with sprints 2x a week and LHT as often as feels right. It feels good. Just wondering if anyone has other ideas? Thanks!
    As I keep saying, if you are actively parenting a young child, you are getting the same exercise as our female ancestors have gotten for the last 3 million years or so. You are getting plenty of lifting and movement. Adding cardio to that amounts to chronic cardio. My suggestion - stop all the added exercise except maybe sprints. But if you do chasing games, skip the sprints too. If you want to do more, do something that relaxes you like yoga. Ignore everyone who is saying squeeze a little bit more of this or that exercise.
    Ancestral Health Info

    I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

    Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

  8. #8
    trapperjohnme's Avatar
    trapperjohnme is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    western arkansas
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    As I keep saying, if you are actively parenting a young child, you are getting the same exercise as our female ancestors have gotten for the last 3 million years or so. You are getting plenty of lifting and movement. Adding cardio to that amounts to chronic cardio. My suggestion - stop all the added exercise except maybe sprints. But if you do chasing games, skip the sprints too. If you want to do more, do something that relaxes you like yoga. Ignore everyone who is saying squeeze a little bit more of this or that exercise.
    I would say that depends. If she is a stay at home mom, actively engaged and playing with the child, then I can agree with you. but if she is like a lot of single parents that work full time for a living sitting behind a desk then her lifestyle is not like our female ancestors.

  9. #9
    Hedonist's Avatar
    Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sacramento, California
    Posts
    2,930
    Quote Originally Posted by trapperjohnme View Post
    I would say that depends. If she is a stay at home mom, actively engaged and playing with the child, then I can agree with you. but if she is like a lot of single parents that work full time for a living sitting behind a desk then her lifestyle is not like our female ancestors.
    Sorry to disagree. If she spends the day sitting at a desk, she needs to find ways to stand, e.g. while on the phone. Squeezing in some artificial exercise at the beginning or end of the day is not the answer.
    Ancestral Health Info

    I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

    Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

  10. #10
    trapperjohnme's Avatar
    trapperjohnme is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    western arkansas
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    Sorry to disagree. If she spends the day sitting at a desk, she needs to find ways to stand, e.g. while on the phone. Squeezing in some artificial exercise at the beginning or end of the day is not the answer.
    well, as a single parent I can tell you that "squeezing in some articial exercise" has tremendous benifits in my life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •