Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Being tall is expensive! page

Alex Good is offline Senior Member

Being tall is expensive!

Primal Fuel
    So a bit of background. I'm 6'3.5" (6'4" on my good days) and have one of those bigger builds (I don't want to say big boned, but...). I estimate that without the fat I would weigh about 190-200lbs.
    Do you know how expensive it is to get enough food to feed me? I managed to find a cheap grass fed meat place (2.80$ per pound) and I still can't get enough food for day to day life!
    It's friggin impossible to get 200g of protein a day and still have enough money to pay for the next day! I pay close to 500$ a month just feeding myself!

/end rant
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Rapunzel is offline Member
    I'm only 5'4". Feel free to give me 4".

All joking aside, have you considered alternate means for protein? Pasture-raised chicken is hugely inexpensive if you can find a local grower. Also, have you considered protein shakes as another way to supplement? And eggs? (You could mix raw eggs into your protein shakes...)

Organ meats + less desirable cuts are also less expensive too. Get beef heart ground with a quarter of chuck and you probably won't be able to tell the difference (if you're not fond of organs). Buying in bulk also keeps the price down, and CSAs are another good source of grass-fed/pasture-raised meat.

(You could also take up hunting/fishing?)

waharris007 is offline Junior Member
    Funny. I'm 6'5" and 191 pounds. I get by pretty well on around 2100-2200 calories a day. If I'm doing a heavy workout regimin like P90X, I'll up it to around 2700. I'm not "big boned," though. I guess I have the long lean(ish) build (despite the extremely annoying layer of goo that refuses to leave my mid-section). I was doing high protein like that until I went Primal. At that point, I focused more on fat and dropped protein to around 30% of calories. I guess I'm getting around 150g of protein now.
    -Allen

I do take protein shakes and eat hearts (tastes just like regular steak), plus eggs are pretty much a staple. My meat is bought in bulk too.

As for the hnting suggestion, I'm relatively sure I can't get a gun license (Canada sucks with weapon freedoms and I have a slight history with the cops) and my bow is broken (a new one of suitable quality for hunting is out of my price range).
    I'll look into the chicken though, thanks for the suggestion.

And you've inspired me to go spear poaching (legally kidding).
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Waha: Yeah If it was just height I'd be fine, but my entire family (along the male line) has the whole broad shouldered thing going on. That and flattened eye teeth. We all somehow grind our eye teeth down.

As a guide for what I would need to eat in a day to feel full (if you count my activity level) listen to the song that Gaston sings in the beauty and the beast. He was the only cool thing about that movie.

Rapunzel is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    As a guide for what I would need to eat in a day to feel full (if you count my activity level) listen to the song that Gaston sings in the beauty and the beast. He was the only cool thing about that movie.
    The REAL question is whether or not you look like Gaston. And if so, I'm gonna need to go visit this Canada place y'all say is north of the US.

I'm a dirty blond, so no, I don't look like him. That and I have english teeth. Damn my english teeth. Everything else about me is great, but my english teeth are horrible.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Try learning to hunt using a sling. (A sling shot would be easier by far, but grok would use a sling.) Dirt cheap to make, and find ammo for. Not suitable for larger game, but just how hungry are you?

For elk, deer, and the majestic moose I recommend learning to make a flint knapped spear, and use a spear thrower. We used to make spears out of bamboo, and bowie knives but that was before I moved out here to NYC. That sort of thing is frowned on here. And we don't have many elk.

Anyway, make friends (you do know how don't you?) with some local hunters, and ask them to show you how to dress an animal. You might have a history with the cops, but if you become friends with folks who hunt they might be willing to share, especially if you're willing to learn, and help them out in some way. This is all speculation since I don't know any hunters IRL, they might just take you out to the woods and accident you. I dunno.

Canned fish is cheap, and sardines, and herring have excellent Omega-3's.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    It's friggin impossible to get 200g of protein a day and still have enough money to pay for the next day! I pay close to 500$ a month just feeding myself!
    IIRC, the 1g/lb per day comes from a rounding up of a recommended 1 - 1.8 g/kilo. That metric stuff was too hard for folks in the US, so it got rounded up. Way up, but then this is America, land of the corn-fed beef. More is better, eh? Anyway, you could probably halve your protein intake with no negative health consequences. It actually might be more healthy. Bad things happen when you get protein in excess of what your body needs. Now if you're trying to gain muscle, the extra protein does have an anabolic effect and you wouldn't be caring about the negative health consequences as long as your pecs get big. LOL

Gordo

I suppose the pheasants around here would fall to a sling.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast