Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is leangains? page

Conner P. is offline Senior Member

What is leangains?

Primal Fuel
    I checked out the site and didn't see anything more than the glorification of IFing? is there anything else behind it?

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    You missed the part about the owner glorifying himself!

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    I'm not an expert on his system, I've only read a little...

You'll often hear "trainers" say you can't physically lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. That might be true, at the exact same moment in time you might not be able to (I'm not sure I care) but I think he (Martin?) developed a system that uses fasted weight training to drop fat and gain muscle "at the same time."

I consider IF-ing to be skipping lunch. His system is very different than that, so you might say it's a structured approach to fasting and lifting.

Anyone on here tried it? The schedule just wouldn't work with my life-schedule so I had to skip it.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Based on his pictures of himself, it looks like a skinny kid that figured out how to add muscle and explain it well in terms of IF. I don't know how what he knows applies to the rest of us but he tries really hard to make it look like it will.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I have been doing a modified version of Leangains for a while. The IF'ing is pretty straight forward and clearly explained on his site. However, he is a personal trainer, so he only gives tidbits about the workout, but gives the full deal to his paying clients. From what I gathered, he recommends a low volume, heavy weight routine, and often recommends a reverse pyramid approach. For example, you would do two warm up sets on a particular exercise, then your heaviest set would be your first working set, then your second would be reduced by 10% and the third by 10%. Due to the very heavy weight being lifted, rest periods in between sets are usually at least 2-3 minutes long, and you need them. I am no where near the shape that Martin is in, but I have found the routine to be effective. I now plan on cycling my Leangains routine with a higher volume-lighter weight routine each month to see how that works for me.

I think Martin has done enough experimenting and research to know what he is talking about. It's not for everyone, but it certainly works for many of the clients that have posted testimonials.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Oh, and yes, if you read Martin's story, he was originally a chubby kid that lost weight and started modeling. Then, he became too skinny, and found IF a useful way to put on muscle without gaining fat.

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barryman9000 View Post
    You'll often hear "trainers" say you can't physically lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.
    Those trainers are worth their weight in dog crap. I put 9lbs of muscle on in a little over 8 weeks at 1000 cal deficit when I switched from high volume to HIT. Dropped 17 pounds too. Those trainers can do the math.

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro13g View Post
    Those trainers are worth their weight in dog crap. I put 9lbs of muscle on in a little over 8 weeks at 1000 cal deficit when I switched from high volume to HIT. Dropped 17 pounds too. Those trainers can do the math.
    Yeah, I think this idea is a common CW mantra you hear from the "trainers" at GloboGym. I lost about 25Lbs of fat and have to assume I gained muscle because I kept lifting more and more weight. I was eating plenty though.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    I have been doing a modified version of Leangains for a while. The IF'ing is pretty straight forward and clearly explained on his site. However, he is a personal trainer, so he only gives tidbits about the workout, but gives the full deal to his paying clients. From what I gathered, he recommends a low volume, heavy weight routine, and often recommends a reverse pyramid approach. For example, you would do two warm up sets on a particular exercise, then your heaviest set would be your first working set, then your second would be reduced by 10% and the third by 10%. Due to the very heavy weight being lifted, rest periods in between sets are usually at least 2-3 minutes long, and you need them. I am no where near the shape that Martin is in, but I have found the routine to be effective. I now plan on cycling my Leangains routine with a higher volume-lighter weight routine each month to see how that works for me.

I think Martin has done enough experimenting and research to know what he is talking about. It's not for everyone, but it certainly works for many of the clients that have posted testimonials.
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    Oh, and yes, if you read Martin's story, he was originally a chubby kid that lost weight and started modeling. Then, he became too skinny, and found IF a useful way to put on muscle without gaining fat.
    Martin really knows his stuff, and the results he got from himself and gets from his clients speak for themselves I think. Richard Nikoley is or was a client, here is the start of a short series of posts on his experience -- positive!

Leangains is a combination of a daily 8-hour eating window (fasting the other 16) with macronutrient cycling (workout days are carb-heavy, rest days are protein-heavy) with the majority of calories being eaten post-workout if it's a work day. That's the nutrition side of it which Martin makes pretty freely-available on his site and various interviews, the workouts he doesn't talk too much about.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    As other have said, the results of Martin and his clients speak for themselves. I've been doing Leangains myself for the past several months with good results. It just makes sense to increase your carbs and calories around your workouts and drop them lower at other times. I think that is the key.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast