Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Horse Steak page

MvEssen is offline Senior Member

Horse Steak

Shop Now
    I saw some horse steak at the butcher I go to today and bought it. It was awesome! And it's waaaay cheaper than beef. Is it just as good as beef nutrition wise?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I envy you. We can't get that here in the US. I'd wager it's probably BETTER than beef.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MvEssen View Post
    I saw some horse steak at the butcher I go to today and bought it. It was awesome! And it's waaaay cheaper than beef. Is it just as good as beef nutrition wise?
    Lekker, hoor! Heh. I would just check with the butcher about the source. If they're horses that have been put out to pasture for some time then it's probably fine, but if it comes from recently retired race horses or work horses then they may have been treated with who knows what medicines.

Oh, and not sure if they're still open, but I used to occasionally get horse steaks here: Klarendalseweg They also sold horse sausage and a few other things. If you're in Arnhem you might want to have a look.

They are, just found this: http://www.historischklarendal.nl/ernste/ernste.html

Thanks for the answers, lucky me I geuss!
    And Blackcatbone, I checked the butches site and they are part of a 'marketing board' (think thats the right description) that only allows meat that is sold to be pastured. So it's fine! But thanks for the heads up!

Now that I think of it. I get nearly all my meat from there. I was worried that I couldn't get my hands on any grass fed meat around here. But the fact that it's all pastured means I'm doing pretty good, right?

jspradley is offline Senior Member
    You suck! Horse is illegal for human consumption in the US. Thank you PETA! I've heard it is really good!

Quote Originally Posted by jspradley View Post
    You suck! Horse is illegal for human consumption in the US. Thank you PETA! I've heard it is really good!
    Yeah, the more I ask and read the more I start to understand how much different it is for you guys! I thought the American diet and the Dutch diet would be nearly the same. But the more I read the easier it seems to follow PB guidelines in the Netherlands. Fresh vegetables are available in abbundance in every supermarket around the corner, marketing boards seem to arrange for pastured cattle meat only. Our food pyramid also has grains as the biggest part of it, so it's total crap as well. But at least meat and butter are widely accepted here . I feel for you guys with all the trouble you have to go trough just to eat healthy.

On the other hand, I'd wish the meat prices where as low for us as they are for you. I pay €4,- per lb for that horse meat and €7,- per lb or so for a beef steak! Thats more than $10,- per lb of beef steak!

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, the more I ask and read the more I start to understand how much different it is for you guys! I thought the American diet and the Dutch diet would be nearly the same. But the more I read the easier it seems to follow PB guidelines in the Netherlands. Fresh vegetables are available in abbundance in every supermarket around the corner, marketing boards seem to arrange for pastured cattle meat only. Our food pyramid also has grains as the biggest part of it, so it's total crap as well. But at least meat and butter are widely accepted here . I feel for you guys with all the trouble you have to go trough just to eat healthy.

On the other hand, I'd wish the meat prices where as low for us as they are for you. I pay €4,- per lb for that horse meat and €7,- per lb or so for a beef steak! Thats more than $10,- per lb of beef steak!
    My pastured beef steak in the US is $15 per pound simple strip steak cut. Pastured Flank Steak is $9.00lb, Delmonico/Ribeye $16lb

Actually I have to disagree with the comparison. Most places in the states have a much bigger variety of fresh veggies, even in the average supermarket. Lots more leafy greens, squash, sweet potatoes are almost universally available and so on. Pastured meat can be an issue unless you're close to a farmer's market or good sized health food store, but in general the abundance is usually greater here, unless you live far from a big city. I do miss the selection of worst, pates, raw ham and cheeses. You can get some good ones here, but much less variety and much more expensive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast