Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leptin Resistance - Questions! page

Robynbee is offline Senior Member

Leptin Resistance - Questions!

Primal Fuel
    I've been reading some info on leptin resistance, and I've come to the conclusion that it's very possible that I am leptin resistant. I've been a yo-yo dieter for years and a total carb binger to boot, and even though I've been super strict primal for a few weeks now, nothing has happened. I've actually gained weight and seen no body composition changes. I'm not being impatient, I'm just trying to learn all I can about my body and leptin resistance makes a lot of sense to me.

I've read a bit of Mastering Leptin and I'm going to try and follow those 5 rules (easy enough as they seem) to see if it affects my fat loss. Then, I read yesterday (but I can't for the life of me find the thread that I found it in) the "Why is Oprah Still Obese?" article on the Jack Kruse website. He suggests eating 50g of protein within 30 minutes of rising. I guess that makes sense. However, I do have some questions......

1. I like to do some form of exercise as soon as I get up (yoga, walking, sprinting) and, therefore, I don't really eat until around 7:30 or 8am. Would it be detrimental to my goal of increasing my leptin sensitivity if I didn't eat the 50g of protein (or breakfast at all) until later? Does it counteract the benefit?

2. They say to eat three meals a day about 5-6 hours apart (both Jack Kruse and the Mastering Leptin people), but what if I don't like eating breakfast and I skip it? Would eating two meals instead of three, spaced apart accordingly, make a big difference in the journey to leptin sensitivity?

3. Intermittent Fasting - I've heard it helps with leptin resistance, does anyone have any experiences they would mind sharing about it actually working (specifically women, just so I can get a better gauge for myself)?

4. 50g of protein in one meal is kind of a lot (it seems). The Mastering Leptin guys say to eat meals that aren't too large so you don't eat until you're stuffed. However, a meal with 50g of protein would probably make me pretty stuffed. Thoughts on that?

Okay....that's all I can think of right now to ask. Thanks in advance anyone who can help me get a better understanding of this!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    You might head over to the Whole Health source blog. The guy there, Stephan, researches into leptin. He did a recent podcast with someone and that's linked from there. He thinks that the problem is that leptin signalling can get overridden if you taste a food that your body remembers as rewarding. We like sugar, for example, because it gives us a buzz, and we'll go for that. It's been found that if you feed people through a tube that dispenses a meal-replacement liquid that tastes of nothing much interesting things happen. They can't taste, smell, or even see what they're consuming, so it has no interest for them. Then leptin signalling seems to work. You tell people to suck up as much as they like. A slim, healthy, and active person might take 3, 000 calories (as he would have of food). Obese people behave totally differently: they drink small quantities of the liquid—say, no more than 400 calories—and feel they've had enough. That's staggeringly low. No diet would offer you less than a thousand calories. And it can't just be that the liquid is unpleasant, so that people don't want it, because the healthy people do drink plenty of it. It seems that when the tastes and smells of food aren't intruding, people who need to eat less do eat less.

There are some interesting suggestions for people who've become leptin-resistant that come up in the podcast, like eating the same thing every day (as long as it's nutritionally balanced), because then it becomes more boring. You can also use less tasty cooking methods, and there are a few other suggestions. It'd probably get a bit tiresome if done for a protracted period, but it sounds like it can work. Maybe you'd want to check that out.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Check the articles on Dr Kruse's site. He says do 50g protein just as you wake up, and 3 meals a day.

That doesn't sound like IF to me.

The pro-IF folks are just out of control. I think they have claimed to fix everything by now.

@ Lewis - that's really interesting about the taste of food affecting the amount eaten. I may have to look into that a bit more.

@ DFH - I do like the 3 meals a day that Kruse advocates, I just don't like eating (especially not 50g of protein) as soon as I wake up. Morning is my exercise time....although I guess I could eat before I exercise. What a weird thought.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    The pro-IF folks are just out of control. I think they have claimed to fix everything by now.
    Absolutely the pro-IF folds are out of YOUR control and will forever remain so. I have no idea why you've appointed yourself the IF sheriff around here. I happen to think that IF works very well for ME and has helped ME to reach my goals and to maintain my body in a way that I like. I like to share what works for me on this site. IF is something that I think is a useful tool for some of us. I don't ever recall any of the IF folks saying that IF works for everyone.

If you don't want to IF then don't, but it should be of no concern to you at all that some of us here do. You have no useful input on IF except that it is contrary to the way you choose to handle your day. Please share what works for you in a positive way and stop posting negative remarks about those of us that choose IF.

LeanLioness is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    Absolutely the pro-IF folds are out of YOUR control and will forever remain so. I have no idea why you've appointed yourself the IF sheriff around here. I happen to think that IF works very well for ME and has helped ME to reach my goals and to maintain my body in a way that I like. I like to share what works for me on this site. IF is something that I think is a useful tool for some of us. I don't ever recall any of the IF folks saying that IF works for everyone.

If you don't want to IF then don't, but it should be of no concern to you at all that some of us here do. You have no useful input on IF except that it is contrary to the way you choose to handle your day. Please share what works for you in a positive way and stop posting negative remarks about those of us that choose IF.
    Very well stated!!

IF has helped me to get things kick started and going in the right direction. I am no longer a slave to food. I eat to live and no longer live to eat.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    SLEEP

SLEEP

THEN, sleep s'more

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Can't speak specifically to leptin resistance, but I can say I have found that IF has helped me drop body fat more than very low carb did. I eat between 50-70gm of carbs a day.

I've dropped approx 14 lbs since January and am probably 120-125 (I don't weigh myself.) 34-26-36 and shrinking. I can wear size 2 pants now!

I don't eat breakfast anymore--and when I do, very occasionally, I tend to eat more that day. So, personally the 50 g of protein wouldn't work for me.

I eat to satiety in a 6-8 hour window most days--no set schedule--because I work for myself.

@ MalPaz - Really? Sleep? How does it help with leptin resistance? I love sleeping and would fo' sho be into increasing that bizness.

@ Dragonfly - That's awesome that you've dropped 14 lbs with IF! I only have 10-15 lbs to lose and I've heard that once you're closer to your goal it's harder to lose and that IF really does help with that. I believe that IF has credibility from all the success stories I've read, but again, not sure if it deals properly with the issue of leptin resistance? I guess I'm just confused with all the contradicting ideas out there (eat breakfast, don't eat breakfast, etc.) and I want to find what works best for my body.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't mean to be deffensive, but IF was an important tool that I used to get a single digit body fat percentage and has allowed me to keep it for a year now. I'm pretty passionate about that particular topic. Disagree with me if you like, but don't tell me I'm out of control. I control my own life and I'm doing very well. Thank you very much. I'll be the first to say that your mileage may vary and everyone needs to find what works for them.

To the original poster I would recommend checking out leangains.com and theleansaloon.com. Both offer advice on IF and the leansaloon on eating less and healthy living.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast