Thread: Can anyone tell me about Ultimate Frisbee? page

squeally dan is offline Member

Can anyone tell me about Ultimate Frisbee?

I workout 3 days/week -mostly w/ body weight exercises per PBF, and I run 3 times/week. I have really cut back my running mileage and I think I was definately doing too much w/ marathons, etc. Anyway, I've been looking for a new sports to obsess over. I thought about tennis. Then I saw something about Ultimate Frisbee. It looks fun and it appears that it doesn't require much equipment. I'm 40 years old and have never played. Can someone tell me what it's like? How hard is it to learn? Would people be receptive to a 40 year old dude showing up and wanting to learn the sport? How can I get involved with it?

huntercopelandnutrition

Shamra Byrne Guest
    The ultimate frisbee community is full of awesome people. They are so welcoming and don't really care whether you are beginner or advanced. I learned it in a day, but I wasn't any good until I practiced a bit. But man! What a workout! My side was burning and my legs felt like jelly after an hour of play. I found my group on meetup.com

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    ultimate frisbee kicks ass. anyone can play...as long as you can toss a frisbee and move your arms and legs. it's super easy to learn, and the people who play are usually really good about teaching you the rules. essentially, it's a no-contact passing game. played on a field, one team throws the frisbee across to the other team who is waiting in some sort of end zone. whoever has the frisbee can't run (some players like to allow a couple of steps, but generally if you're holding the frisbee think like a basketball player who has already dribbled...you've got to pass and you can only move one foot). the other players on the team run around and try to get open for a pass (some of the leagues really have advanced plays for this sort of thing, but random pick-up games are more free). the goal is to pass the frisbee across the playing field and receive a catch in the opposing team's end zone area...sort of like rugby.
    lots of fun, lots of running and jumping, and it usually involves a lot of welcoming people. enjoy.

squeally dan is offline Member
    Cool. I need a new sport.

huntercopelandnutrition

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    Fun, very fun!

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I play on my college team, it's great. It's self-officiated like golf, and my experience has been that frisbee players are exceptionally kind and welcoming! It's fun to play at any level, but youTube it just for the hell of it, pros make ridiculously awesome catches