Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Primal Journal - Solldara page 3

Solldara is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Week 11 Report.

Over the half way mark

I am stunned at how the weight keeps just falling off with no real effort on my part - I've really got into the routine now and my DH is loving the meals so he's happy. To make it easy I've got a 2 week rotation of evening meals which are tasty and easy to cook.

Week 1
    Wed - Boiled Ham with Roast Veg
    Thurs - Meatloaf with Broccoli and Cauliflower
    Fri - Chicken and Mushroom Green Thai Curry with Cauliflower Rice
    Sat - Liver Kidney and Bacon with Roast Veg
    Sun - Roast Pork Shoulder with Broccoli and Cauliflower
    Mon - Tomato and Mince Casserole
    Tues - Tomato and Mince Casserole
    …................................................. ............................
    Week 2
    Wed - Roast Beef with Roast Veg
    Thurs - Roast Lamb with Broccoli and Cauliflower
    Fri - Chicken and Mushroom Korma with Cauliflower Rice
    Sat - Sausage and Onions with Roast Veg
    Sun - Roast Pork Shoulder with Broccoli and Cauliflower
    Mon - Chicken and Tomato Casserole
    Tues - Chicken and Tomato Casserole

Added to that I roast a couple of chickens and leave them in the fridge so I can just have cold leftovers or eggs, tinned salmon or corned beef whenever I'm hungry throughout the day. I also have strawberries and frozen berries whenever I fancy anything sweet and tomatoes and salad veg if I fancy them.

Exercise wise I walk the dogs for 30 mins in the morning and swim for 30 mins in the evening but I haven't done any of the other exercise yet - and after reading Marks blog about extra muscle not burning loads of fat I'm probably not going to start doing much weights or sprints wise until I'm at my goal weight or I hit a plateau.

Anyone thinking of giving this a go please try it - if it can work for me (a woman who's had weight issues from childhood and who had a total hysterectomy last year due to illness) it can work for anyone.

Till next week ....
    Last edited by Solldara; 08-16-2011 at 04:03 AM.
    1st June 11 to 30st Aug 11 - 36lb removed in 13 weeks
    Messed about on and off for the rest of the year

June 2012 - Had the practice - now time to do it for real

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations on getting to the half way mark! You're doing awesomely well
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Week 12

Very short as this entry is very late - despite fish and chips, an English Breakfast with a Latte and a tub of Rachaels Greek Coconut yoghurt which is my new treat I still managed to lose 2lb this week. I'm sticking to walking the dogs and swimming every day so this week has gone great diet and exercise wise.

Unfortunately Week 13 has completely gone to the dogs - but more about that on Wednesday

Heidi is offline Senior Member
    Congrats on all the weight loss! And especially when it's coming off without feeling like it's too much of an effort.

Looking at your evening meal rotation...are you an IFer?
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

Nope I'm not a fan of deliberately IFing - at least not while I've still got quite a lot of weight to lose (that may change when I get to within 5lb of goal but I doubt it)

I'm up at 6am every day and generally have "breakfast" about 10 am when I get to work but I will snack on something out of fridge before that (generally hard boiled eggs or berries) if I'm peckish. I then eat again about 2ish and again snack about 5ish on berries before swimming at 5.30ish.
    I eat around 6.30pm and don't generally have anything after about 7.30pm but all times are ish as I don't schedule as such - I just eat when I'm hungry.

I roast a couple of chickens and leave them in the fridge so I can just have cold leftovers or eggs, tinned salmon or corned beef whenever I'm hungry throughout the day. I also have strawberries and frozen berries whenever I fancy anything sweet and tomatoes and salad veg if I fancy them.
    The first couple of weeks I ate more - and was eating protein and veg most of the day - but at that stage I was more worried about keeping eating the right things than losing the weight as I wanted to get past the sugar cravings as my number one priority. As it turned out I still lost weight but I'd forget about IFing as it will just make you hungry and want to eat non primal stuff - just concentrate on eating the right stuff for a couple of weeks - then tweak to lose weight when your body is over the carb shock.

Right stuff for weight loss - unprocessed meat, fish, eggs, low starch vegetables and berries.

Wrong stuff for weight loss - processed foods, refined sugar, grains, legumes, nuts, high starch/carb veg and fruit, and cheese,

Limited stuff for weight loss - dairy (I'd avoid for first few weeks to break the habit then have a treat occasionally)

Odd advice that people on forums give that I personally don't think is the best idea at the start (but may work later or if you have really tried everything else for a few weeks) -

IFing - covered that above but it's designed for when you are within sight of target as a tweak not as an initial strategy.
    Consuming lots of fat for the sake of it - personally I get enough fat from the non visable versions ie shoulder of pork, salmon etc so I'd advise not to avoid it, but having a fry up every morning or drinking tablespoons of the stuff just seems excessive to me, even though as you can see from my journal we are very partial to a full English breakfast at least once a week.
    Strange eating times, patterns or stress over weighing everything or macros - this WOE is supposed to be easy and fun - having to weigh everything goes directly against this idea for me so I think its better to keep a journal with what types of foods you're eating then tweak after the first 2 weeks when you see the results.

Hope this helps

Week 13

Wow its amazing how fast the time has gone and its crazy the huge improvements I've made in my life over the last 13 weeks

I started this on the 1st June 2011 as things had got so bad that I had reached rock bottom health and depression wise and I'd finally decided that I had to get a grip and get started living the life I wanted rather than settling for making no effort and feeling sorry for myself. Ironically a mmo finally gave me the push when I found that my so called escape from reality was now causing me stress and tears.

I've gone from someone that was so far in a rut that I was literally eating chocolate uncontrollably to the tune of 6 - 15 bars a day. I could not do two laps of the dog walking circuit I do without feeling like I needed a lie down. The house was a mess as more than 10 minutes of housework at a time either started up my acid reflux to epic proportions and/or caused my back to start twinging which would last for the rest of the day.

Mood wise I had no energy or enthusiasm for anything and my mood swings were getting out of hand with me frequently bursting into tears over small trivial things. Acid reflux and sciatica was keeping me awake at night and an mmo had become my reason for getting out of bed in the morning which is obviously not the way ahead as I'm self employed and my income reflects my efforts.

So I arranged to take a few days off and put myself first - my husband bless him who was worried about me agreed to give the diet a go as well and in those few days I started eating primally, started exercising and started getting the house decluttered. I also started deciding what I actually wanted in life and making steps to achieve it.

Fast forward 13 weeks - I'm 36lb lighter and am back weight wise to where I'm comfortable rather than refusing to go out as I felt so bad about being bigger and had nothing to wear. I do 20 laps of the dog walking circuit every morning without actually noticing as I'm concentrating on my audio tapes and the dogs (this is on my land so its safe to tune out). I feel strong and in control of my destiny and have concrete plans on how to achieve it. The house is actually tidy again all the time now so we can invite people over and be sociable again (when it was a mess I refused to allow anyone in the house to actually see it that way). We have also finally made the decision to let go of the past and move forward - which has meant that we've sold a property that had a lot of negative emotions tied to it - yes we let it go cheap but it means we can be debt free and just look forward now.

In many ways this is thanks to going Primal, as success with this has given me the confidence in myself to start sorting the other areas of my life that needed attention.

In the next 13 weeks I want to lose at least another 14lb preferably more but I must admit is has been harder this last couple of weeks - I love the primal diet and will happily continue with that for life but the cheats have been increasing - the funny thing is that I haven't found anything apart from fish and chips cheat wise that's totally nonprimal that I have actually enjoyed. The Turkish Delights, Daim Bars, Frys Bars, Starbars, Cadburys Chocolate bars, Pizza, Biscuit Deserts, Chocolate Fudge Cake, Cheesecake, Ben and Jerrys, Chinese Takeaways, Eccles cakes, Vienese Whirls all of which I used to love and that I've managed to eat (mostly over the last 2 weeks) have left me feeling lousy or sick so I'm in no rush to repeat.

Cafe Lattes, English Breakfast with no Toast or Beans and Greek Coconut Yoghurt ie my favorite diet cheats are all semi-primal. I did try eating the 85% chocolate again as I would have added it to the list but unfortunately it definitely doesn't like me as it brought the acid straight back.

It does seem strange though how your own perceptions and other peoples can make a big difference to your dieting efforts - I think most of my problems in the last 10 days have stemmed from the fact that I'm now back to "comfortabe" for me. I'm still 29lb above where I want to be and my ideal is not a strict target as I'm aiming for under 10st weight wise so I'm certainly not twig like at 169lb on a 5'6" medium frame - . Despite this in the last 24 hours 2 friends have commented separately that I shouldn't lose any more weight, and how I'm where I should be now without any prompting or encouragement from me. I think part of it is that last time I lost a lot of weight and weighed below this it was because I had cancer and everyone associates me being thin with being ill but I am going to keep going as I really want to treat myself to my new wardrobe of of clothes in the January sales once I reach my target weight.

Anyway:

Weight loss for the week: 1lb which is incredible considering the junk I've eaten

Aim to be back to losing 2lb for next week

Till next week ....

Week 14

Late post as I went completely off the wagon this week as we decided to have a junk week and eat as many takeaways and as much junk as we fancied. No real excuse even though it was crazy here as we could have kept primal through it, but I think I needed the break to just reaffirm why I'm actually doing this.

Anyway I put on 2lb this week but I think it was water weight as I'm already back to where I was at the week 13 weigh in.

The interesting think is that I'm really pleased to be back to Primal even though I did get the mini carb flu with headache for the first 2 days, our entire get up and go seemed to disappear when we went back to eating junk and a lot of our old bad habits started to creep back in. Both of us started to suffer from really bad acid as well, which has gone again now we are back to eating Primally. Also the hunger came back and I seemed to be consistently feeding my face to a ridiculous degree which had nothing to do with how full my stomach was as I'd feel bloated but still want to keep eating. This constant need to eat was my main motivation for going Primal as its just weird to know your eating is that out of control that you will eat a large evening meal and still have half a dozen chocolate bars immediately after and still feel like you need to eat something.

Anyway till next week.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123