Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Solldara page 2

belinda is offline Senior Member
    You're doing great!

I read this "Regarding the chocolate and strawberries - what the hell, I'm happy and still losing weight on 3 of each so why fight it" and laughed out loud.

That's pretty much my philosophy. I haven't tried G&B chocolate yet, and I'm not sure if I should! I can only eat a square or two anyway because it's the one thing that triggers acid reflux in me now that I've quit eating grains (which used to give me reflux all the time).
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Solldara is offline Senior Member
    Thx

I read these boards and think others could be a little more relaxed and forgiving of themselves - my view is that we're doing it for life so I'm not going to get stressed over the little stuff if I'm managing the broad strokes and getting the results.

Re the acid - - I could have the same problem but I refuse to admit it myself yet .

DH says his acid has cleared up completely since he's been eating primal and he doesn't eat chocolate but I'm hanging on to see if the last of mine goes when I've lost some more weight - if not I may have to consider getting rid of the chocolate but that will be a last resort.

Wk 7 and the bit afterwards

This is a bit delayed this week as I'm having a s**y week fitness wise so I'm a couple of days late posting this.

Anyway first half of the week wasn't too bad apart from the fact that the acid was getting worse but by Monday the acid levels had hit "interfering with sleep" levels so I was starting to feel cranky. Couple this with rain and I decided not to walk the dogs but to use my Strider for 30 mins instead. Its my favorite piece of gym equipment and I used to do 30 mins every morning up until about a year ago but haven't really touched it since. At the time everything was great and I was actually impressed at how easy it was to do 30 minutes while listening to music. Unfortunately my body wasn't so keen the following day as after a lousy nights sleep I woke up unable to move and with one very painful calf muscle

Feeling very sorry for myself as I had a lot planned for this week I was now overtired and in pain so I decided to give up the chocolate for a couple of weeks and see if that would sort the acid starting Wednesday (the next day). So Tuesday night was acid and stiffness but Wednesday started and I decided to just baby myself through it expecting to crave the chocolate. Oddly the cravings did not appear but the headache from hell did - which I can only put down to chocolate withdrawal as it felt like a caffeine or sugar withdrawal headache but worse (I think the lack of sleep was now affecting my perspective)

So Wednesday was not a good day as I had a blazing headache and was still stiff - to add insult to injury I hadn't lost any weight but to be fair I hadn't really expected to, after the 4lb loss last week. Also I can't post DH's weight loss details as he was away for the week and didn't get back in time for the weigh-in.

So week 7 and the start of week 8 have not been great - the headache lasted through most of Thursday but thankfully has gone now. Unfortunately all the sitting round rather than swimming or dog walking has started my Sciatica off so last night it was that, that was keeping me up.

There are a few major positives though:

1 - The acid seems to have calmed right down as well as a specific joint pain which has also been keeping me awake, 2 days is too early to say its gone but its definitely better now I'm not having the chocolate so that's a step in the right direction as its something I have had for years.

2 - With DH away I had planned to have a major cheat day when I could have anything at all that I fancied regardless of primal rules and when I feeling really down and in pain on Thursday I wandered round a supermarket fully intending to buy bad food if I wanted it - in the end I left with bottled water, frozen berries and a cooked chicken as I didn't find anything I fancied enough to risk losing the feeling of nurturing my body and being in control of my eating that eating primally gives me.

3 - Eating this way really suits my taste buds and lifestyle, I just cooked 6 eggs and left them in the fridge, along with the roast which lasted me 3 days and just supplemented those with tinned salmon (for the fat and calcium), berries and veg. Coming to work this morning I grabbed a couple of eggs - some sliced roast lamb and I always keep tomatoes, peppers etc in the works fridge so that's me sorted food wise for all day and when I get home it'll take me 5 mins tops to add some veg to my precooked chicken.

So going into the rest of week 8 - the mind is positive and certain its on the right track even though the body is ****d so I'm going to try going for a swim tonight and see how that goes.

Will report on Wednesday
    1st June 11 to 30st Aug 11 - 36lb removed in 13 weeks
    Messed about on and off for the rest of the year

June 2012 - Had the practice - now time to do it for real

Excellent! You could try one square of chocolate (I eat my square after I have my frozen berries and coconut milk sort of like a palate cleanser ). I'm ok with one or two squares but any more than that is an acid trigger. Not that I'm trying to make you eat it or anything! If you're happy without then keep on keeping on!

Good job in the grocery store too
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!

F/49/5'4"
    GW 140 lbs

End of Week 8 report

Thanks Belinda

Very happily I can say that things are definitely getting better. Much as the thought of it pained me, removing the chocolate has really been a winner as I haven't had any acid at all from 24 hours after stopping. I thought I'd really crave it but I'm not missing it as its linked in my head with the acid and I really don't want that back so I'm sticking with the nothing option rather than trying to just have a bit. I do love frozen berries, straight from the freezer so I'm still getting carbs from stuff besides my strawberries and vegetables which is great as I was starting to worry about what I'd fancy when the fresh strawberries went out of season.

So real improvement, acid gone, headache gone, energy and enthusiasm levels back up and possibly an improvement with my joint pain but I'm not 100% sure yet. Only negative is that my back is still playing up but that is slowly getting better and may prove to be a good turning point as I've now adapted my desk at work so that rather that sitting for 6 hours a day behind a computer I'm now stood which means that I move more rather than slouching in one position.

Weight loss for the week: 5lb

Total Weight Loss for 8 Weeks: 26lb

So I'm still following the trend of losing nothing or very little for one week and then making up for it the next which is odd when I'm actually eating primally both weeks - but its still averaging around the 2-3lb a week so I'm really happy with it.

DH is back and has put on 2lb which I think is actually fairly good going as he's spent the last 8 days camping next to a beer tent with a load of friends, eating take away and bar meals all week.

Exercise wise my back recovered enough for me to go swimming every evening again from Friday which is great but I've been wimping on the dog walking by using the excuse that I don't want to make my back worse. Today we're going to the wildlife sanctuary for a walk round (we have annual tickets to support them as they have a breeding program for several species including the Amur Leopard which I help adopt with the WWF). If it goes well then I'll be dog walking again from tomorrow - if not at least it will have been worth setting it off again.

If anyone is lurking trying to decide whether to give this lifestyle a go - my advice is go for it as its the best thing I've ever done and I've been on and tried nearly every diet under the sun for the last 33 years (at 10 I was on the Beverley hills diet courtesy of my mother)

Anyway till next week
    Last edited by Solldara; 07-28-2011 at 02:26 AM. Reason: I was adapting rather than adopting the leopard :D

You're doing an amazing job! You've lost as much weight in 8 weeks as I have in 5 months. Not that I'm jealous or anything

F/49/5'4"
    GW 140 lbs

Week 9 Report

Weeeeeeeee 2st down

Yep I'm doing the weight bit first as I'm really chuffed.

Weight loss this week: 2lb
    Total Weight loss in 9 weeks: 28lb = 2st

Thanks for the comments Belinda, if anyone had told me that this way of eating would suit me so well I would never have believed them. In 30+ years of dieting I have never stuck to any off them long enough to lose 2st. (I have lost that amount of weight in the past through working crazy hours when I lived alone, and again recently with illness - but never when I have intentionally set out to lose weight.) After saying that I do have a lot to lose so I'm not expecting this speed of loss to carry on indefinitely - but its great while it does.

I have also been a bit more flexible this week as I've had chance to actually get away from work and home and have some time out with my husband which was great and will hopefully become a regular thing in the next few weeks as our workload settles a bit. So discoveries - I can drink coffee lattes with no ill effect, and happily as my taste buds have changed the lactose makes it sweet enough so I don't need to add sugar - so even though I don't have dairy usually they are going back onto the "fine on odd occasions" list. Also back on that list are takeaway fishcake, sausage and chips with salt and vinegar - I know, not even slightly primal but they tasted great and I didn't need a huge portion to feel stuffed so I may well have them once a month or so.

On the "quite happy not to have them again list" now goes Peanut butter - I know - I feel like such a hypocrite after advising people to bin it, but after discussing it so often on the forums I really started to crave it so I decided to buy a little jar - happily I ate enough in one sitting for it to make me feel totally sick so I binned the rest and the cravings are gone - so overall it goes in the same category as Chinese Takeaway - I used to love them and crave them all the time - now I'm happy without them.

Feeling great and really positive atm as when you start to succeed in one area it definitely makes it easier to stick to other good habits - I'm getting up earlier and I've gone back to walking and swimming each day as my backs recovered. I'm also going forward in other areas as I've signed up for an Open University course - so I feel like the world is my oyster

Thanks for reading.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Chuffed? Binned? Hmmm where are you from?

Congrats on the success so far!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Chuffed? Binned? Hmmm where are you from?

Congrats on the success so far!
    Thanks

I'm from the UK - Lincolnshire, the native tends to come out when I relax

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Week 10 Report.

Its once again been a good week weight wise but I did strike another old favourite off my cravings list - it seems odd that ever since I stopped having the 85% chocolate (because it was causing the acid reflux) I have psychologically been searching for a "treat" as I've been craving a specific old favourite far more - last week it was peanut butter - this week it was Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia. I bought some on Saturday to try and found that I did not like the taste half as much as I was expecting and I found it to have a really chemical after taste - perhaps because I've only been eating unprocessed berries etc I'm noticing it far more but the really strange part was that even though I wasn't blown away by the taste I still finished 90% of the tub in a single day. My DH managed to get the 10% with some berries. Am I pleased I bought it ? - Yes I am, as I would still be craving it now if I hadn't - do I plan to repeat it - No

I also finally bought some more trousers as mine were starting to be a liability - weeee 2 sizes smaller so I really liked that.

Just out of interest I finally put a couple of average days into Fitday as after 10 weeks I thought I'd better check my levels:

Day 1 - Calories: 1194, Fat: 45g (34%), Carbs 51g (16%) Protein 145g (51%)
    Day 2 - Calories: 1608, Fat: 80g (45%), Carbs 82g (19%) Protein 138g (36%)

Figures look fine to me so I'll check again in another couple of months

I'm well into the dog walking and swimming now so that's become habit that I look forward to rather than a chore - I know I need to get into the sprints and more weights but I don't want a repeat of the leg and back problems from a few weeks ago so I'm holding off for a while longer - the only good thing from that episode is that I now stand at work rather than sit which is far far better for my attention levels and general go-get-edness which was sadly lacking during afternoon working hours.

Weight Loss this week - 2lb
    Total for 10 weeks - 30lb

Btw my DH is still happily primal but he has several things (like 2-3 bottles of wine a week and dairy) which are slowing his weight loss. He's sleeping better and has got rid of the acid so he's onboard with the way of eating but has not embraced the weight loss side yet - when he does it will be easy for him to adjust so until then he's decided to just weigh himself once a month and not stress over the scales.

Till next week ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast