Thread: What can I do better? page

AAMonty is offline Junior Member

What can I do better?

Hi de hi there everyone,

I need some advice. I've been primal since the start of March this year with great success - I've lost about 8% of my body weight. I think I'm starting to approach a point where my body feels it's at a comfortable weight (138 at 5' 5" tall) though I'd like to be a little leaner about 130lbs. I've gained and lost the same 2.5lbs twice since the start of May. There are a couple things I think could be making this difficult. 1) I've had a few days where I've been away with work - this means more wine and less sleep, 2) I've had 3 weekends away on the trot which often means beer (4 last sunday eep) at bbqs and 3) I've probably been eating too much chocolate (always at least 70%).
    So, a typical food day looks like this (yesterday's food)

Breakfast
    2 boiled eggs with black coffee
    2x squares of dark chocolate - 11am

Lunch
    Green leafy salad with tuna or smoked salmon
    40g (or so) of nuts (usually macadamia)
    2 x squares of dark chocolate

2 x squares of dark chocolate - 3pm (I see a pattern appearing here... I probably shouldn't keep chocolate in my desk)

Dinner
    A ribeye ... I didn't fancy any veg which is bad but I just wanted meat after having had fish Sunday and Monday
    1 sm glass of red wine

For exercise I started kettlebells once a week, but increasing to twice this week. In between classes I'll do 10mins of burpies and 10mins of pressups (or lunges) in the evening - or a long walk at lunch. The times when I've lost the 2.5lbs are due to experiments with IF, which usually means skipping breakfast or breakfast and lunch and eating a normal dinner.

So this chocolate habit isn't good. I see now how much 2 squares/day has gradually increased. I'm thinking the nights and weekends away aren't helping either. I'm completely fruit phobic (I'd rather save carbs for chocolate it seems!). I've tried to start a whole 30 thing twice now and failed due to being away. I'm also approaching the anniversary of my mother's death which is a time I typically do emotional eating without realising that's what I'm doing.

I have no social events planned until my birthday at the end of July. How do you all think I should approach this? Try a whole 30 again? Or gradually get myself back into a good routine? But how? As I'm writing this I'm finishing off my bar of chocolate from yesterday (85%, but not the best breakfast).

Please help.

Many thanks
    Aleisha

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Think FQ! The FQ Principle in eating states that first the frequency increases then the quantity. Whenever I consider indulging in something, I think about FQ. FQ tells me, like with your chocolate severals times a day, when I'm going beyond the truly occasional treat. Btw: It may be your body is going for the caffeine in the chocolate.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

bobsbingo is offline Junior Member
    Wow AAmonty, you have given a great methods for removing fat. i like this..
    Breakfast
    2 boiled eggs with black coffee
    2x squares of dark chocolate - 11am

Lunch
    Green leafy salad with tuna or smoked salmon
    40g (or so) of nuts (usually macadamia)
    2 x squares of dark chocolate

2 x squares of dark chocolate - 3pm (I see a pattern appearing here... I probably shouldn't keep chocolate in my desk)

Thanks for lovely post.

@bobsbingo,

hmmm, maybe that's my problem. Maybe I'm not eating enough fat. I didn't intentionally remove it. I always cook in tallow or ghee or coconut oil and ALWAYS eat the fatty bits on steak and bacon etc. Maybe I'm craving fat when I crave chocolate. Might experiment ... fried eggs and bacon for breakfast and a decent amount of veg cooked in fat with a bit of beef or pork for dinner.

@digby, You make an interesting point. I have cut back a lot on the amount of caffeine I consume as a result of not really enjoying black tea and coffee, and cutting out my beloved diet coke. I haven't experienced any caffeine withdraws - probably due to the copious amounts of chocolate I've been consuming.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    AAMonty: I think that bobsbingo is a bot, not a real person.

You need to eat a lot more fat than you're eating, if you want to lose weight.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Thanks Griff... I thought it was an odd reply, but it drew my attention to how little fat I'm having daily. I might have a lot on some days but I struggle getting enough fat in at lunch times - trying to stay away from regular mayo because of the veg oil. Might have to make some home made mayo and then make tuna salad and that kind of thing more. I can't have dairy because it breaks my skin out - so really I'm left with animal fat and nuts (which I don't want to over do). Any suggestions?

I was just reading your success story the other day. Well done!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Chocolate is the one thing that leads me to cheat. I would love to have a couple squares of ultra-dark per day, but I can't seem to. You really do have to either cut down to a tiny bit once a day or go cold turkey. Even at 70%+, that's a lot of sugar. The other cheats are not a big deal for someone like you who is in good shape.

Yeah, eat more. You might try some healthy carbs, e.g. starchy veg like carrots to replace the chocolate.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.