Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Body Types - has anyone really changed theirs? page

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member

Body Types - has anyone really changed theirs?

Primal Fuel
    So here's the commonly used body type distinctions/categories:

- Endomorph (chubby)
    - Mesomorph (lean)
    - Ectomorph (skinny)

What I've been wondering lately is: Have I ever come across someone who managed to change their body type? Obviously the mesomorph is the target for most people, so I can improve my question:

Have any of you - or people that you know of - always been typically endomorph/ectomorph and then manage to change into mesomorph? I'm not talking about chubby guys getting less chubby, or skinny guys getting a *little* bit more muscular. I'm talking about guys who used to be *really* chubby and never were lean changing into lean, or guys who never were muscular and never were muscular changing into muscular/lean.

I'm beginning to think that while it certainly makes sense to try to be as fit as possible, we may not be able to change our body type as much as we want to - and even most people who for example manage to lose a lot of fat usually don't change from chubby to lean - unless they used to be lean for the most part of their life.

In essence: Do you think that one can go from Jimmy Moore to Mark Sisson with easy, primal lifestyle changes - or is it more likely that when you make those lifestyle changes you simply end up being "emaciated chubby"?

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    I think "change" is unlikely - "reveal" is certainly possible.

AnarchoGrok is offline Senior Member
    Each has a natural look. I am an Endomorph (chubby). Can you change your natural type......... NO!

I have found that I am very carb sensitive. I put on weight by looking at cake. So for me to become lean I will have to keep my carbs way down. I do however believe for the first time that I can become lean! Will I still be shaped like a B-52 Bomber? Yep but I can be a lean Bomber.

This is a lean enough version of an Endomorph.

Or

It may be hard to do...... But I will keep it as my end goal for as long as I can breath.
    Last edited by AnarchoGrok; 06-08-2011 at 03:16 AM.

Littlesigh is offline Senior Member
    Remembering that these terms are just concepts, in that, you have agreed with someone elses rules about how you should look or be defined, just what is the technical defintion of Chubby? Lean? and Skinny? My wife is 5'2 and weighs 100lbs, and probably has about 24% body fat, she is a small asian woman, so is she lean, skinny? or chubby? I don't care! She is just the way I love her! I was "husky" as a kid...WTF? That was the term used then for trying to find me pants...I would say I am still husky but a bit more lean. I am not the "Rep. Weiner" type to go sending any pics off of my body, frankly it is not that good, but I am satisfied with my progress and happy that I can still improve.
    My two cents... don't get caught up in terms... eat, move and be happy!
    Living the dream, inside a myth

@Coach Palfrey: "Reveal" would mean that a fat mesomorph lost a lot of bodyfat. The question is whether an endomorph could both gain muscle and lose fat to such an extent that he would look like a mesomorph. This isn't obviously so - in order to gain muscle one has to train *and* eat, and if endomorphs put on fat more easily than mesomorphs, it may not be possible for them to change their body composition that easily.

@AnarchoGrok: Those two pics seem like obvious mesomorphs to me.

@Littlesigh: If anyone is happy with looking like any of the types I listed then I'm happy with that. But please don't tell those who aren't that they should simply accept the situation. Some people claim that anyone can change their body composition to a mesomorph - I'm simply interested in whether that's the case, and - if so - how to do it.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    So give us an example of an endomorph... Just carrying a lot of extra bodyfat doesn't make you a specific bodytype, it just means you need to work harder and diet more strictly than the naturally lean person.
    I basically have a hard time believing the notion that certain people with "genetic limetations" won't be able to diet down to low double or single digit bodyfat and have a "lean" look.

I think I already mentioned Jimmy Moore as an example of an endomorph: High body fat percentage combined with a lack of muscle mass (compared to a mesomorph). Obviously I would also consider myself an endomorph, and I also find it very difficult to "lean down".

BTW: You say that you have a hard time believing that some people might not be able to "lean down". Yet this forum - and many other low-carb / paleo forums - are full of threads where people complain about weight loss plateaus. That's why I'm looking for examples for people who were obese and then managed not only to lose a lot of fat and keep it off, but also to build/preserve a substantial amount of muscle mass. I don't personally know of anyone who managed to do so - all the people who lost a lot of fat either were sort of "skinny fat" afterwards, or didn't have that much fat to lose to begin with and changed from somewhat bulky, moderately overweight mesomorph to lean mesomorph.

And another more general note: I don't think that people can be absolutely divided into those three categories - but I do think that they are useful as rules of thumb.

Tawny is offline Senior Member
    The way that I always understood the body types was more about shape than size:
    Endomorph-round (but you can be lean and round, like Beyonce)
    Mesomorph-muscular, thick (which can be lean with lots of muscle definition or big and heavy, like an ex-linebacker who has put on a bunch of weight)
    Ectomorph-angular (tall, thin supermodel-type or long-thin limbed person with more belly than would be healthy)

You can make the most of your shape, and it's easier to gain or lose weight if you are a certain type. For instance, mesomorphs are easy-gainers when it comes to muscle and fat, while ectomorphs are hard-gainers. Endomorphs tend to put on weight more easily overall, but usually retain their basic proportions, while an ectomorph tends to gain weight less easily and it tends to be in the belly-area. Most people are not strictly one body type.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    I've often considered that the whole "body type" classification is not really relevant. I mean, how is it helpful? People are either at their target fat/muscle levels, or not, right?

I know people like to say "I'm a ____" because everybody loves classifications, but... does it really mean anything? Ultimately you are a function of your eating and activity types/intensity.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    ^ If it helps, I can formulate my question without these classifications:

I'm chubby. I've lost a lot of fat, but I'm still overweight - I doubled my strength, but I'm still not really muscular. Is there a way for me to get really lean and really muscular, or are there boundaries that I can't overcome with lifestyle changes, but which would be totally different or perhaps even non-existent for other people?

Over the last two years I've tried many things, and I now know for sure from first hand experience that merely eating right, supplementing with n-3 and what have you and working out doesn't automatically (or in Mark's words: effortlessly) transform me into Brad Pitt. Fair enough, I didn't expect that to happen anyway, but reading this and other paleo/low-carb forums I get the feeling that many think that way. The question is: Are those members of this forum who are in fact lean and muscular that way because they eat/move primally - or have they always been lean and muscular in principle and simply got out of shape and corrected that by eating/moving primally. The latter seems more likely to me. As I mentioned above, I've yet to see someone who went from really chubby out-of-shape couch potato to lean ripped Adonis.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast