Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yes, I read the primer, but I still don't understand! page

Twinwolf is offline Senior Member

Yes, I read the primer, but I still don't understand!

Primal Fuel
    Ok folks, I read Griff's primer on cholesterol and I still don't know if I am good or not. I don't know if I'm heading in the right direction. Do I need to be alarmed? What should be done to improve? Do I need to do anything? Am I panicking because of my doctors CW? He basically had the nurse tell me that my cholesterol was too high and I need to exercise more and eat less fat!

I am going to post my results below. Any help with deciphering would be welcomed! 6'1" 35 year old man currently weighing 244 lbs and the panel was administered last week.

Total cholesterol - 175
    HDL Cholesterol - 33 (states this is low out of range) > or = to 40 desired.
    Triglycerides - 90
    LDL Cholesterol - 124

Chol/HDLC Ratio - 5.3 (states this is high out of range) < or = 5.0 is desired.

There were many other things looked at (full lipid panel and Lymes disease was checked for.. Everything else made it with in "the range".

Again, anyone feeling like "righting" this ship, all replies are welcome!

Peace!
    "If a man has common sense, he has all the sense there is."

My Journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30234.html

Starting weight prePB - 258 lbs on 5/6/11

244.2 lbs on 6/3/11 (28 days in!)

240 lbs on 7/1/11 (59 days in!)

234.2 on 7/15/11 (73 days in!)

228.2 on 8/12/11 (101 days in!)

224 on 8/28/11 (117 days in!)

220.6 on 9/14/11 (134 days in!)

Goal weight PB - 205 lbs

peril is offline Senior Member
    Your TC is fine. Nothing to worry about. Ignore your doctor on this.

However, your HDL is low and your trigs could be lower. Adherence to an antiinflammatory primal diet will definitely help. Lower carbs/alcohol will lower your trigs. Increased good fat will improve HDL
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

@Peril - how much lower on carbs? I'm averaging 35-60 grams a day on carbs. In the 28 days I've had alcohol two occasions. Next time I will be drinking may not be till July 31st. What kinds of "good" fat increases do you suggest? I currently take triple strength fish oil supplements, because I felt I was low there. Any other ideas?

CW says my TC is fine, is it really so? Also don't understand the ratio..

Thanks for the help!!
    Last edited by Twinwolf; 06-07-2011 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Typo

Goal weight PB - 205 lbs

peril is offline Senior Member
    OK, your carb/alcohol intak seems OK. Give it time and your trigs should reduce.

MUFA (eg olive oil) and SFA (animal fat, dairy fat, eggs, coconut, palm) should help increase HDL.

How much fish oil exactly? I prefer to minimise all PUFA except for eating oily fish, rather than supplement with oils that can easily oxidise
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Did you get c-reactive protein checked? That is a better indicator of circulatory system health than cholesterol.

Lowering carbs lowers triglycerides, Omega 3s do too, and I think it helps HDL. I take 6 Omega 3 fishoils a day and 10,000 IU Vitamin D.

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinwolf View Post
    Am I panicking because of my doctors CW? He basically had the nurse tell me that my cholesterol was too high and I need to exercise more and eat less fat!
    First of all the ratio is the most important measurement and you can pretty much ignore the rest. The ratio is bad because your HDL is low.

Saturated fats raise HDL, coconut oils raise HDL. Their advice to changing cholesterol is based on nothing at all and makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    Did you get c-reactive protein checked? That is a better indicator of circulatory system health than cholesterol.

Lowering carbs lowers triglycerides, Omega 3s do too, and I think it helps HDL. I take 6 Omega 3 fishoils a day and 10,000 IU Vitamin D.

C-Reactive protein? He ordered a lipid panel and a comprehensive metabolic panel (CMP) and lymes disease antibodies check. The only thing that says protein on it at all is the CMP which shows that total protein is 7.0g/dL. Not sure if that is it or not?

@Peril - one caplet of fish oil because the bottle said one. Should I up this a little? I also cook my eggs in butter, eat my steak topped with butter, I eat plenty of almonds, and I put olive oil or some kind of higher fat dressing on every salad.

All my carbs are from veggies and very little from fruit. I haven't had bread or wheat based products to my knowledge in over 28 days now. Not even a beer. My goal has been to get to as close to 100% adherence as possible to living primal. I cut my cardio from 6 days a week and strength training from 3 days a week to 2 days a week of strength training, basketball once or twice a week, and a couple of long slow walks. Thus incorporating "lift heavy things, sprint once in a while, and move slowly over great distances". Weight wise I'm still on track, just curious what I can do to help health out a little more.

Thank you guys for your assistance!

Goal weight PB - 205 lbs

Nutritionator is offline Senior Member
    CRP is an indicator of how much inflammation or stress your body is under, much more important than LDL or total cholesterol as far as I can tell. Fish oil seems to do some good things but it is a PUFA which oxidize easily so the science there is kind of mixed, you probably don't need very much if you're eating clean.
    My Paleo Project:

www.nutritionator.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nutritionator View Post
    CRP is an indicator of how much inflammation or stress your body is under, much more important than LDL or total cholesterol as far as I can tell. Fish oil seems to do some good things but it is a PUFA which oxidize easily so the science there is kind of mixed, you probably don't need very much if you're eating clean.

So is that a separate blood test I would have to order? What should I ask for? Should I just wait another 6 months? Should I have that test run sooner rather than later?

Goal weight PB - 205 lbs

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't think dietary changes change blood chemistry very fast. You've only been primal for a month, right? Stick with the program and have your blood drawn again in 6 months. Those numbers would be much more reflective of how you are eating now.

What was your typical diet pre-PB?
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast