Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with motivation page

lcme is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Ok, so I really got into the primal eating in August, close to the beginning of the challenge, and managed to do quite well for 2 weeks. I felt great and for the first time in my adult life I didn't feel like eating was a constant battle of REALLY hungry and REALLY full.

Now I'm back at school and in the thick of my last year of my undergraduate degree and I can't seem to get the primal eating going again. ALL the food on campus is pastries, pop, fries and other junk. I fully subscribe to the ideas of MDA and talk the talk but I can't get my ass in gear and walk the walk.

The main issue is getting over the first few days of intense cravings.

Any advice on how to kick start the primal eating so that it isn't a battle?

maranne is online now Senior Member

I am curious to see what everyone has to say on that matter.

I also struggle intensely because I don't have a lot of control over the meal I am getting at the moment. And in my opinion, once you revert back to CW eating it is pretty much a downward spiral.

M

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Hmm. For me, the motivation is the weight loss I have managed to achieve so far by eating priamlly, plus of course getting rid of the IBS and extremely painful, very heavy periods.

I'm lucky in that I am not in a situation where the only food available is the pastries, fried food and fizzy drinks, so maybe someone who is in that situation and can still stick to primal would be better to comment!

SocraticMethod is offline Junior Member

Icme - does your campus not have a dining hall with a grill line, or something like that? Looking back to college, for me, there were plenty of primal opportunities (although I never even heard of primal eating way back then). Our cafeterias had eggs every day for breakfast, and two of them had grill lines during lunch and dinner where you could grilled chicken, burgers, and occasionally some ribs or pork chops. And the buffet always had some veggies. Of course, I mainly went for the chicken fingers, fries and subs back then ... We had a couple smaller, satellite type cafes in the buildings on the edge of campus, and they were mostly pastries, junk food, premade sandwiches, like you mentioned.

Do you live on campus? Do you have cafeterias like I mentioned above? If you live off campus, can you make food at home and bring it with you? I know that's not the easiest when you're a student and have a meal plan (so you don't want to spend more money on food).

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

If you're in your last year of Undergraduate, I say don't sweat it. Just make the best out of this situation and keep learning and reading about why Primal way of eating is so much more beneficial for your health than CW. By the end of the year you should have plenty of motivation to kick-start the life-style right back up and the ability to pick and choose the right foods without limitations of college cafeteria.

nina_70 Guest

This may sound a bit basic, but for me, whenever I lack motivation I gotta go back to the source and re-define a solid goal. So, I gotta get myself a new reason...for example, I want to lose 5 lbs by Christmas because I want to look stunning in that awesome dress I bought...Or, I want be able to run 8 sprints by Thanksgiving...Or, anything else. Then, write that reason down...paste it on your fridge...tell you friends...create a collage with it...make a T-shirt..whatever works. If you really want to do it set yourself a specific goal (with a specific time-frame...this is important), make that goal solid/public/firm, and that should give you the motivation you need to buckle down.

You could also decide to start a Primal Journal on the forum. Maybe just having to write down what you're doing each day on a forum is enough to keep you going. Give yourself a good enough reason to do it and you will! But find that reason...and make it a good one!

Another idea/ Start a group! Put up a poster on campus starting a Primal eating group. Meet each week...share ideas...recipes...work-outs. It could even be a challenge (for example, everyone puts in $10 and the person who loses the most weight at the end of 8 weeks gets the prize-pot). I used to do this for my photography (had a photography club that met weekly). It's a great way to meet like-minded people, have fun, and stay on-track w/ your own goals.

go_ginger_go Guest

What works for me when my food starts getting dicey and I'm thinking about sugar -- eat a huge steak.

I've learned that I can't even eat a little bit of honey -- that sets off me thinking about sugar, whereas it wasn't even on my radar before that. Some people seem to be okay with honey, though. You'll have to trial-and-error your body and see how it responds.

If you're living on campus and can't get a big steak, try 3 days of hamburger patties (maybe even 2 at a time) and some eggs in the morning. See if that kicks the 3-day craving period for ya.

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member

I just can't believe that the only foods on campus are the ones you mentioned. I would believe that those are the predominant foods in college students' pantries.

Is there no grocery store near campus? Where do you go to school, anyway?

With finals coming up, I'd say F it, because those are really the hardest times to eat well (though probably also the most crucial that you do). When you start the spring semester, start it off with a bang by having only primal things in your residence, and make healthy choices when you have to eat out. Eat bun-less burgers, and ask for veggies instead of fries (or extra meat, ha). Quality of campus meat is questionable, but it's better than eating pop and pastries.

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

lcme is offline Senior Member

Thanks for all the responses. I think that I'm just going to not fret about it till after exams (although as someone mentioned, this is probably the exact time that I need to be eating the best foods :|).

I know that my main issue is that I don't currently make ANY meals at home. I basically spend a fortune on pre-made foods and I'm bitchin and moaning that they're not what I want.

Currently the plan is to get the carbs out of my system while I'm visiting my parents for Christmas break (at which point I should have my PB book!!) and I can tell them ALL about how they can live better, because everyone love a know-it-all. haha.

It really helps to know that other people have trouble too and that I'm not just severely flawed in the self-control department.

Del Mar Mel Guest

It seems like you probably do have a kitchen and can cook for yourself so I would encourage to do so. I don't love to cook either but if you can make an entree meal on Sunday night and eat the left overs for a few days it won't feel like you are having to cook all the time. Find some quick things to prepare such as the omelet muffins that were recently posted.

My trainer really impressed on me that you have to prepare your own food if you want to know what's in it. I bought an insulated lunch bag like she suggested and I take my lunch to work everyday now. It has been a great lesson because then I eat the right food when I'm hungry and I no longer hit the "I'm starving, I'm just going to stop and grab something" wall. It has completely changed my "dining" issues. Make sure you have a good snack available all the time and you won't be stuck trying to choose the best from a bunch of not good choices. As the trainer says, you can't out train a bad diet. But you also can't get off the roller coaster if you don't get off the roller coaster. A lot of it is just making sure you have good food available and you will break the bad habits. A good resolution for the New Year!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast