Thread: Low Carb Flu - Definitive Guide? page

Chris424 is offline Junior Member

Low Carb Flu - Definitive Guide?

I have been trying to do Paleo for around a month now but am really struggling. I have seen all the great support people have had/provided on here so would like to ask a question?

I eat the following for breakfast:
    4 eggs scrambled
    2 rashers of butcher bacon
    chives
    200g mushrooms

for Lunch I eat the following:

300g of chicken and seasoning
    Lots of Lettuce, peppers, avocado, tomato, mushrooms and cucumber
    Covered in olive oil and some lemon juice

or
    300g of Rump Steak
    1 whole Broccoli
    1 Bell pepper
    Bean sprouts
    Tamari, Sesame oil, garlic etc

I only drink water and have done for a couple of years now.

After eating lunch I feel full but get a really bad headache, feel really light headed, lethargic and a little sick. I have tried eating fruit, nuts, avocado but I cannot make myself feel better unless I have something like a snickers or some bread.

I have a friend and were trying Primal together, he didn’t experience any of these issues and thinks its phycological but the headaches are really bad. The last time I tried it I ended up with a migraine (I suffer from migraines).

It's putting me off Primal but I still really want to change my lifestyle and love the food and concept.

I have searched on here and see it could be Low Carb Flu? Is there a definitive guide on how to avoid low carb flu (I have found some contradicting information) or is there something I missing?

Thank you for listening :-)
    Last edited by Chris424; 06-07-2011 at 01:47 PM.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    You might want to consider cutting out tomatoes and peppers for a few days. They can be triggers for some people.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Waskydiver is offline Senior Member
    Since you already tried breaking the "Bleeck" feeling with fruits, I would suggest going the other direction.

Try cutting out ALL source of carbs for about 3 days or so. Eggs, meat, water. SUPPLIMENT YOUR FIBER.

You will probably feel like carp for those three days, but you should come out the other end feeling great.

Then, slowly add back in your salads and veggies. Try adding in just one Veg a day.

A couple different possibilties this may address:

By eating "Lots" of veg's, your body may not be cutting over to fat burning mode. So, you are still in carb burning mode, but not feeding the fire enough. The three 3 day meat "fast" should cut you over nicely.

You may be senstive to one of the foods you are eating. By adding in one veg a day, you should be able to identify the cuprit.

Chris424 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    You might want to consider cutting out tomatoes and peppers for a few days. They can be triggers for some people.
    Interesting, I hadnt thought that it could be a specific vegetable that was causing it. However I have eaten these types of veggies for years without any side affects?

Quote Originally Posted by Waskydiver View Post
    Since you already tried breaking the "Bleeck" feeling with fruits, I would suggest going the other direction.

Try cutting out ALL source of carbs for about 3 days or so. Eggs, meat, water. SUPPLIMENT YOUR FIBER.

You will probably feel like carp for those three days, but you should come out the other end feeling great.

Then, slowly add back in your salads and veggies. Try adding in just one Veg a day.

By eating "Lots" of veg's, your body may not be cutting over to fat burning mode. So, you are still in carb burning mode, but not feeding the fire enough. The three 3 day meat "fast" should cut you over nicely.

You may be senstive to one of the foods you are eating. By adding in one veg a day, you should be able to identify the cuprit.
    Wow what great advice! Thank you. I will give that a try for the next couple of days, I don't mind feeling rubbish for a few days if I know there is light at the end of the tunnel :-)

When you say "one" veggie a day, do you mean one portion (ie some carrott, a bell pepper etc)?

Do you have any suggestions for suplimenting the fibre? (Do I just need to take 24g of suppliment)

Thanks again
    Last edited by Chris424; 06-07-2011 at 02:19 PM.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waskydiver View Post

That's something I ought to try, myself.

Lucy is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Mushrooms can be a big allergen to many people. You might want to try cutting them out and see how you feel. Good luck.