Thread: Studies on vitamin C? page

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member

Studies on vitamin C?

Shop Now
    Does anyone have a link to any studies on why we might need less vitamin C when eating a grain/legume/dairy free diet? I know of the stories about Stephanson and the Inuit's, but curious if there has been any documented study showing the reduced need when the neolithic foods are cut out.

I'm trying to convince my naturopath why I don't need to take vit. C supps.

Thanks!

Sudenveri is offline Senior Member
    No, you still need vitamin C. Grains/legumes/dairy don't contain any vitamin C; it's found in veggies, fruit and organ meats. Unless you're loading up on liver, you still might need to supplement. Please do take your C - scurvy is no one's friend.

I'm talking about vitamin c supplementation- beyond food content. I'm not eating a vitamin C free diet. I just don't think that on this diet I need as much C as on other diets or that high dose supplementation of C is a good idea.

Sudenveri is offline Senior Member
    As far as I know (and if someone can prove me wrong, more power to them), physiology doesn't work that way. You still need as much vitamin C on primal/paleo as you do on SAD, and since it's water soluble, it's extraordinarily difficult to overdose on C. At worst you're just making your pee more expensive (although if you take too many supplements at once it will burn, which I found out the hard way).

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudenveri View Post
    As far as I know (and if someone can prove me wrong, more power to them), physiology doesn't work that way. You still need as much vitamin C on primal/paleo as you do on SAD, and since it's water soluble, it's extraordinarily difficult to overdose on C. At worst you're just making your pee more expensive (although if you take too many supplements at once it will burn, which I found out the hard way).
    You will also get diarrhea if you take too much.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I used to take 3000 mg/day. If I slipped from doing that, I got a cold. Always. Now that I take plenty of vitamin D and eat in a way that helps me absorb nutrients, I am taking 1000. I am not sure that I need that much. I eat berries frequently and get lots of lemon and lime juice.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.