Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eating chicken and fish instead of steak page

cody Guest

Primal Fuel

I would like to know what people think of eating meat all the time. The reason I ask, is the calorie count. It seems to me if people are trying to lose weight, why would you eat high fat meat every night? I love steak, but even though it doesn't have carbs, it still has calories. Even in a low carb diet, the lower the calories can only help. Right?

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Well, this IS a high-fat diet, and that is what promotes fat loss. I don't think calories matter much when you're low-carb.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Del Mar Mel Guest

I don&#39;t know that you can ever say calories don&#39;t matter. I think having a higher protein diet, along with the fat, helps to keep the calories down. I seem to be eating lower calories overall since focusing on this. The processed carb calories, that are omitted on this diet, are the ones that never seem to satisfy and spin you into the insulin response/ carb chasing cycle.

FYI Cody, I would think a balance of meat, fish and chicken would be optimal. I tend to focus mostly on fish.

Tarlach is offline Member

Calories don&#39;t matter in the way most people think.

I eat a lot of fatty meat every night and continue to lose bodyfat.

Chicken doesn&#39;t seem much like food anymore. They grow twice the size in half the time. I don&#39;t trust them as a food source anymore than CAFO beef. A lot of fish is now farmed also and subject to the same problems.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

one_eye_mike Guest

Speaking for my self, calories matter. I stay away from the high fat stuff except for the occasional treat. There&#39;s plenty of us primals that don&#39;t eat high fat meats, including Marks wife.

chazglen is offline Junior Member

Is Cafo beef similar to Kobe beef?

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

CAFO beef is commercially-grown, grain-fed steers.

Kobe Beef is probably just as screwed up, but the animals are treated better---they get beer and massages. That&#39;s why it&#39;s so expensive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_beef

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile

Supposedly, Kobe beef is overrated:

http://www.members.tripod.com/~BayGourmet/wagyu.html

I eat high fat at every meal -- fatty parts first, then the lean. I don&#39;t count calories, but I eat to satisfaction rather than to the "stuffed" point. Calories count, but not in the way you think, and they certainly don&#39;t count as much as carbs.

BTW, I have always been amused at the idea that "meat" does not include fish and chicken. In my world, meat is meat!

Osa007 Guest

Calories are adjusted to your energy needs, of course...but, I do think 2,000 calories of mainly carbs is going to be different than 2,000 of what we&#39;d here call &#39;primal&#39;. I tend to have bacon in the morning, chicken at lunch & dinner varies, but it could be steak or beef fajitas - my calories are between 1,500 and 1,800 which is fine for me. Eating red meat doesn&#39;t have to equate to high calories. I&#39;m simply one of the folks who thrive on red meat - feel better all around whenever I have a rare steak or rare meat of any kind...but, I keep my steaks to probably a quarter to less than a quarter pound...

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

High fat meat is pretty filling. I don&#39;t see how it would be a problem where calories are concerned as long as you&#39;re eating primal.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast