Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Almond Butter... page

Waskydiver is offline Senior Member

Why Almond Butter...

Shop Now
    I was at the store yesterday, and figured that I would maybe see if I could switch my son over to Almond Butter instead of Peanut Butter.

OK... it's more expensive... I can deal with that... but let's see what I am getting. I was a little surprised that the label did not reveal any large nutritionall advantage to the Almond Butter over Peanut. From memory:

Almond butter is higher in calories, slightly higher in carbs, lower in fiber, lower in protien.

I did like the fat content, and it's makeup (Saturated/Poly/Mono) better in the almond butter over the peanut butter, but that didn't really tip the scale when considering the other macros.

What am I missing?

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Peanut butter is a legume not a true nut butter. Legumes are things that most paleo folks try to avoid. Peanut butter has more allergic and anti-nutrient properties. Almonds are pretty much harmless but in excess they will throw off your n3:n6 ratio.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Personally, I don't think you're missing much. Yeah, peanuts are a legume and therefore technically not primal, but so are green beans, and they're pretty widely accepted. Also peanuts get a bad rap for being potentially contaminated with alfatxoin, but I'm pretty sure this applies to other foods too. I eat small amounts of peanut butter every now and then and don't feel any more guilty about it than I do when eating any "true" nuts. I try to limit them all since they are so high in PUFA.

Almond butter is nutrionally superior.

When my kids were little (and I had a real say in their diets lol), I used almond butter.

Nutritional Comparison of Peanut Butter and Almond Butter

Joanne
    In the midst of a mid-life-chrysalis

My Blog

WHat they said....

But it does not taste like peanut butter and takes some getting used to. It is good in it's own way.

Alan M is offline Senior Member
    If you look up the omega-6 level in peanuts you'll find it's an order of magnitude greater than everything else. If you care about keeping your O6 to O3 ratio in check, avoid peanuts.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Because it's tasty!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    Take the almond butter, mix some palm shortening in along with a heavy dosage of cinnamon. Eat with dark chocolate. I... am terribly sorry for the inevitable addiction that follows.
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

tarek is offline Senior Member
    Barring any allergy you might have, there is no real reason to avoid peanut butter and buy almond butter if you prefer the former. All nuts, seeds, and legumes are suboptimal foods, so eat whichever one you enjoy the most and limit your consumption of it.

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Personally, I don't think you're missing much. Yeah, peanuts are a legume and therefore technically not primal, but so are green beans, and they're pretty widely accepted. Also peanuts get a bad rap for being potentially contaminated with alfatxoin, but I'm pretty sure this applies to other foods too. I eat small amounts of peanut butter every now and then and don't feel any more guilty about it than I do when eating any "true" nuts. I try to limit them all since they are so high in PUFA.
    I agree with this. Unless the OP notices an increase in inflammation after eating PB, or eats it in large amounts... I don't think it's that big of a deal. :shrug:
    42 yo female; 5'8"
    Oct 2009: 205 lbs
    Dec 2010: 167 lbs
    Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
    Goal weight: 145 lbs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast