Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Magnesium overdose? Strange symptoms w/magnesium citrate..... page 2

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This is a good link on magnesium:
    The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Magnesium and inflammation

Also several older threads in the forum discuss the importance of magnesium.

EvansMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    This is a good link on magnesium:
    The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Magnesium and inflammation

Also several older threads in the forum discuss the importance of magnesium.
    Yes, I did read many other threads....and that led me to wonder if there was anyone who "overcame" thier initial bad reaction to mg citrate that some posts mentioned.....I am hoping that maybe I can overcome my bad reaction....but I felt so bad that I don't want to try it again And the health benefits of mg are so numerous that I feel like I want to try again and I want it to work for me....but....

P.S. I am now a proponent of the EFT technique you mentioned in an earlier post I started....THANKS!!!!
    Last edited by EvansMom; 06-07-2011 at 03:03 PM.

And thanks for everyone who chimed in, I appreciate the feedback on my post so much!

Nutritionator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    Someone please explain what is Primal about Magnesium citrate?
    Not completely "primal" but the soil that veggies grew in back in the good old days was much more rich in magnesium which basically helps your muscles relax, where as calcium helps them fire. Our soil today, especially in the mass produced farmland in the midwest, is severely deficient in magnesium so supplementing with it actually brings our levels back to "primal" levels.
    My Paleo Project:

www.nutritionator.com

Rainbird2 is offline Junior Member
    I have the same problem. I haven't figured it out yet. I tried to take it in the a.m. on an empty stomach (I'm concerned about taking it with a meal as I have read somewhere that it dilutes stomach acid) and I fell asleep on the couch with my three children screaming and fighting. I won't do that again.

I, too, think I would benefit from it: muscle cramps, heavy stress load, more restful sleep...and I so wish I could do everything 'natural' - meaning not even a supplement - but when you are under the constant stress I am under, sometimes a supplement is a good thing. And really, I am anti-supplement.

I'm going to up my nettle infusions to see if that helps.

PLEASE let me know if you figure out something.

BTW, some of the stressful things I am going through are beyond my control and a little sunlight in the day isn't going to help. If anyone would like to hire me some help and get me a wet nurse for 2 am and 4 am feedings, please PM me.
    Last edited by Rainbird2; 06-08-2011 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Changed "you" to "anyone" because the last statement was not directed at anyone in particular.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EvansMom View Post
    Yes, I did read many other threads....and that led me to wonder if there was anyone who "overcame" their initial bad reaction to mg citrate that some posts mentioned.....I am hoping that maybe I can overcome my bad reaction....but I felt so bad that I don't want to try it again And the health benefits of mg are so numerous that I feel like I want to try again and I want it to work for me....but....

P.S. I am now a proponent of the EFT technique you mentioned in an earlier post I started....THANKS!!!!
    I was actually addressing that post to DFH--I figured you had already read a lot!

I'm thinking that the tiredness may have been a one-time reaction to too much magnesium. This happens to me if I take too much citrate.

Not sure about the increased anxiety--did you try tapping on it?

BTW, Magnesium oil works for some folks--you rub it on your skin. If you prefer to take it orally, you may need to try different forms, aspartate, malate, etc & see what works for you.

EFT Rocks!!!
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 06-07-2011 at 06:20 PM. Reason: increased clarity

Okay, well I tried 1/8 tsp in hot water last night just before bed.

Results were: slight increase in anxiety (only lasted about 3 minutes this time, thank goodness), didn't feel overly tired, just nice and sleepy. BUT I was extremely hungry after I took it, and had to eat a banana (Yes, I could have chosen something else I guess) & macadamia nuts to quiet the hunger. I love how I justify my favorite snack

Anyways, after a broken nights sleep (twice son woke me, once husband, once to pee), I woke up feeling great, had lots of energy and was very happy. BUT my brain was like on overdrive. I was pretty hyper. But, I really didn't mind....it was kinda nice to have some energy and drive and want to have a good time. By breakfast time, my brain has slowed down into a normal rhythm and I am just still very happy and seem to be okay.

I think I will try to start slowly upping my dose of mg citrate, and see if the anxiety/grogginess comes back full force....and go from there. I will try a little more than 1/8 tsp tonight. Hopefully soon I can get up to a full dose, but maybe I just don't need a full dose. We will see. If I can't get anywhere near a full dose, I will try mg malate, mg oil, etc.

Dragonfly: yes, I tried tapping on it the last time, but it was a pretty severe case of kind of what I call background anxiety, not a panic attack, but just me being wound way too tight and not being happy. Tried tapping a few times, but the results didn't last too long....I am still so new at tapping that maybe I was doing it wrong or thinking the wrong thing. Will go review EFT website again....

Rainbird2: Don't know what all your stresses are, but yes, I totally understand kid-realated stress....only have one kiddo myself, but we are trying for more and I totally understand the broken nights sleep. Its stressful trying to be everything to everyone, and raising a young family. Not to mention trying to have a good marriage too.

Rainbird2 is offline Junior Member
    EvansMom - I'm sending you well wishes for TTC. If you have family around to help, you'll be fine. Everyone says that having two is "twice is hard" and...it is. But my kids (3 of them, 5 years and younger) are such blessings and I love them so much. It's just really hard when you don't have family around...and you're Primal...and you home school...and the list goes on. And a happy marriage...well, that's another story.

Keep us updated on the magnesium trials! OH, magnesium oil burned my skin. Maybe my ratio wasn't right?? It sure didn't feel good to me, but others have had success. We're all different.

simpstr is offline Senior Member
    Are you guys talking about Magnesium Citrate??????????? its a laxative????????????????????????????????//
    Health is Wealth!

JanahJames is offline Junior Member

Mg Deficiency

602: Morley Robbins Says What You Don’t Know About Magnesium Might Kill You | The Livin La Vida Low-Carb Show

Have a listen to this interview. Sounds like you may be so deficient in Magnesium that you need to start off slow and build up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast