Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much honey did Grok have? page

Ast
    Ast is offline Member

How much honey did Grok have?

Primal Fuel
    I know what I'd have done if I was Grok - kept in mind where the hives are, perhaps made a little map on some stone wall - and then wait for the bees to die off and then round them all up! Yum!

So my thoughts are, quite a bit - but obviously just seasonally. What do you think?

(I doubt Grok went for active hives - I doubt even Grok was that brave! Unless he used smoke.)
    :-)

carlh is offline Senior Member
    From what I've seen on nature shows, because harvesting honey is very labor intensive, when honey was harvested it was usually a special event involving a gorging....other than that: absolutely none.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Here is a hunter gatherer tribal person trying to obtain honey for his family. It's a great video and it shows how dangerous it might possibly be to obtain honey. If it was this hard for a normal westerner to obtain sugar they might think twice about it or at least they would burn off some calories and use some muscles in the process. Instead of just getting in your car and driving to a grocery store for honey. Enjoy. So I have to agree with carlh.

YouTube - ‪Facing angry bees 40 metres high and unattached for honey - Human Planet: Jungles, preview - BBC One‬‏
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

dado Guest
    Grok probably had syrup, too. From the trees.

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    I doubt the tree thing. I have sugar maples and sap does not naturally run out of them

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ast View Post
    I know what I'd have done if I was Grok - kept in mind where the hives are, perhaps made a little map on some stone wall - and then wait for the bees to die off and then round them all up! Yum!

So my thoughts are, quite a bit - but obviously just seasonally. What do you think?

(I doubt Grok went for active hives - I doubt even Grok was that brave! Unless he used smoke.)
    Possibly quite a lot. Some modern hunter-gatherers apparently use quite a lot of it when it's available. I've seen film of Hadza eating it by the handful.

And consumption of honey goes right back. Even non-human primates eat it, so I'd guess humans always have. I'd guess it's OK in moderation, but as with a lot of foodstuffs what you can buy isn't quite what you'd get in the wild. I think most of it pasteurized, and it's possible the heat is damaging to it and may change its properties.

Dasbutch is offline Junior Member
    i count the total carb thing per day and try to stay under 100 grams. unless i'm going for a long bike ride and don't care 'bout the nutrients.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Possibly quite a lot. Some modern hunter-gatherers apparently use quite a lot of it when it's available. I've seen film of Hadza eating it by the handful.
    Yeah but that's the thing - when they had it they had a lot. But they rarely had it. They'd bust open whole hives and scoop it out. If they did that all the time the bees would leave the area.

mwok86 is offline Senior Member
    How often did the same grok person find honey in the actual wild? I doubt they would look for honey, probably find it by accident (rarely) when hunting for animals.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwok86 View Post
    How often did the same grok person find honey in the actual wild? I doubt they would look for honey, probably find it by accident (rarely) when hunting for animals.
    Would they look for it or just come across it? I don't know. They certainly prize it. The Bushmen are said to have risked death to get it—meaning, IIRC, they'd climb to dangerous places to get it, or go into areas where they could meet people hostile to them.

The Bushmen are also said, fascinatingly, to cooperate with birds and animals in finding and getting it. This would mean the ratel (or honey badger) and the honeyguide bird.

The honeyguide bird finds the bees' nest and then finds, and chatters loudly at, the honey badger, looking back and making sure it's following, as it flies back to the bees' nest. The badger can break the nest open, which the bee couldn't, but there'll be some left for the bird after the badger's eaten it's fill.

I think the bird will sometimes attract the attention of Bushmen, so that they do similarly.

It's been claimed there used to sometimes be a three-way cooperation between bird, badger and man. The bird calls the man and the badger; the man lets the badger and the bird have some, and all creatures are pleased. Laurens van der Post certainly said this happened, but then he liked to tell delightful stories and didn't always tell the truth. It doesn't sound completely implausible, and I'm sure the Bushmen were very in-touch with their surroundings and could maintain some quite complex relationship with non-domesticated animals if anyone could. After all, even the bird and the badger can handle cooperation of some sort.

It's also been said that if a Bushman found a good source of honey, he would mark the tree, and then other Bushmen would recognize his rights in it and leave it alone.

But I'm not suggesting anyone need eat honey or that what we can normally buy is like what's in the wild.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast