Thread: Which is better for PWO carbs? page

vb66 is offline Senior Member

Which is better for PWO carbs?

Primal Fuel
    I'm a competitive athlete and I've been playing around with the type of carb I use in my PWO shake. I've traditionally used glucose from gatorade. I've also had a piece of fruit (more fructose) with a whey shake. I'm wondering though if a maltodextrin type long chain carbohydrate would be more beneficial for recovery. We've always been told to get glucose in immediately PWO because it replenishes glycogen stores the fastest.

Also, would it make a difference which carb is best on the type of exercise or whether I have a second workout on that day? For example, if I only have a morning lift (~90 min) but nothing else for the day would one type of carb be better than if I have a conditioning workout in the afternoon?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    What about real food instead of a powder or supplement? I've had good results with potatoes (white and sweet).

RezH is offline Senior Member
    I read somewhere that dextrose powder is your best bet for quick postworkout carbs. Supposed to be better than maltodextrin.

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    What about real food instead of a powder or supplement? I've had good results with potatoes (white and sweet).
    I try to get as much real food as possible but with my training schedule powders are a necessity.

I'll look into dextrose powder, thanks!

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I used to make my pwo shake with dextrose and whey... but I'm no pro athlete.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999 View Post
    I used to make my pwo shake with dextrose and whey... but I'm no pro athlete.
    Well, I'm not pro either, but it was recommended by several pros (football and LAX) to me years ago. It works really well, as you may have noticed. Or maybe not.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Sorry, I guess I glossed over the part where you mentioned you are a competitive athlete. I guess that probably does take a lot of your time. Do you guys think I would notice an improvement in strength/body composition if I added a post-workout shake of whey+dextrose? Currently I train fasted (other than BCAA pre-workout) and eat a meal of lean meat + potatoes about 45 minutes post-workout. IcarianVX, I think I saw in another thread where you recommended a shake during or immediately post-workout, so I'm wondering if the timing is that critical. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Sorry, I guess I glossed over the part where you mentioned you are a competitive athlete. I guess that probably does take a lot of your time. Do you guys think I would notice an improvement in strength/body composition if I added a post-workout shake of whey+dextrose? Currently I train fasted (other than BCAA pre-workout) and eat a meal of lean meat + potatoes about 45 minutes post-workout. IcarianVX, I think I saw in another thread where you recommended a shake during or immediately post-workout, so I'm wondering if the timing is that critical. Thanks in advance.
    I've found I recover much better day to day, workout to workout with a PWO shake. It all depends on your goals.

Does anyone think a combination of maltodextrin and dextrose would be optimal?