Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staying primal when you're sick? page

JamieBelle is offline Member

Primal Fuel

I had my first illness of the season...some sort of stomach-only bug that gave me a low-grade fever all day yesterday and kept me running back and forth to the john. Sorry to be graphic.

Being a mom, I'm familiar with the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast) that I've always given my son when he has a stomach virus and it's often the only things he can keep down or keep from shooting out when he's sick. Anything protein just keeps tearing his stomach up.

So yesterday, I was really afraid to eat meat. I had eggs for breakfast and I instantly felt sick. I was starving by dinner time and broke down and had a bowl of organic rolled oats cooked in water and coconut milk. Usually oatmeal like that (as opposed to sweetened microwave varieties) do a good job of soothing my stomach and binding me up. Of course, it didn't, and I was stuck taking OTC meds so I could get some rest last night.

This morning I had some whey protein and a piece of fruit. For lunch I had eggs and some coconut flour bread.

Anyway, it's hard to stay primal when you're sick. All I want is bland, easy-to-eat and -digest food.

What do you guys think? I feel bad about the oatmeal...first grain I've eaten in months but it did fill me up all night.

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile

In the past, whenever I got hit hard enough to put me down for the count, I went primal by fasting -- I'd just drink water and herbal tea, and otherwise not try to eat anything until a few days had passed and the worst of it was over. Currently I'm lucky and/or healthy enough I haven't gotten sick in over three years, knock on wood...

Yeah frogfarm I think I'm going to have to do that. I'm planning on fasting tomorrow. I'm just so hungry. I've not eaten much at all the past two days because of this thing.

But every time I eat I'm on the toilet nonstop for several hours.

blech

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Primal soups are my go to sick food. Egg drop soup, chicken soup, beef vegetable soup, french onion type soup... the list is unending.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

lil earthmomm, do you make these soups yourself or buy pre-made?

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Yep, I have tended to not eat, but drink plenty of herbal tea and water. I had to do that the other week when I had a tummy problem similar to yours!

Well I'm fasting today. I'm hungry but at least I'm not, well, you know. haha

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Good luck - hope whatver it is goes away soon!

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

I make them all. I hate premade soups!

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Whenever I'd get sick as a girl, my mom would make me (homemade) chicken soup from boney chicken parts. Since the parts had meat, it would turn out as broth and not stock. I often would have no appetite when sick, so sipping the broth was a great way to stay hydrated and also get the much needed nutrients found in the bones. These days, if I feel a cold coming on, I get some chicken parts to make the broth. I've actually got a bunch of organic chicken necks in the freezer for this purpose, since running out for chicken when you feel like crap is not fun. Hope you feel better!

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast