Thread: Can someone help me with my husband's daily goals? page

merehart is offline Senior Member

Can someone help me with my husband's daily goals?

Shop Now
    Hi all, been on the forum for a while but never posted. Both my husband and I went primal in the fall. While we initially noticed good (but subtle) improvements, the main goal for him was weight loss. Other than the water weight in the beginning he has not lost anything. He removed dairy in February or March, again lost water weight, nothing more. I believe he has since put on weight.

I believe he's not eating enough, as I outeat him everyday and he has 100 pounds on me.

His stats:
    5'8"
    260lbs
    very stocky muscular build, so he's built to be heavier.
    Goal weight: 210 or so

Typical day for him

morning walk (low intensity, hills included) - he currently has a torn bicep that he cannot lift weights or anything beyond ten lbs for upper body

Breakfast:
    3 eggs, 2 pieces bacon (more if thin cut), black coffee

Lunch:
    leftovers... sometimes salad with veggies and vinegar and oil, whatever meat is leftover from dinner
    (not enough here)

Dinner:
    meat of some sort, grilled ; roasted veggies, salad with vinegar and oil; he rarely has seconds or finishes because he says he is full

Occasionally he snacks on nuts, but not always. Mostly weekends.

He will take probably about 4 T coconut oil with small amount of almond butter throughout the day. We eat locally, non processed. We cook with rendered lard, olive oil and coconut oil.

I have tried encouraging him to eat more, but he is still stuck in the CW mindset that he must be eating too much if he isn't seeing weight loss. His sleep is not great, and he has a highly intense job that currently is requiring long and unpredictable hours. Sometimes he doesn't eat dinner until 11pm or so. He can't do anything about this right now.

I guess my question is, what should he be aiming for with protein and maybe even calories? What other exercise can he do that won't cause further damage to his bicep? We're coming from P90X for 18mos too. He gains weight very easily, but seems to struggle to lose anything.

So thanks for reading this far. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Meredith

SlimIcy is offline Senior Member
    I'm built similar to your husband, and I put on weight exceedingly easy. My recommendation would be to have him read up on leangains.com and see if a 6-8 hour eating window would be something he could do. If so it could do wonders.

jaysond is offline Senior Member
    is he doing any cardio?

i went primal in feb 2010
    200lbs
    37% body fat
    38-40 waist

1 year to the day
    140lbs
    7.8% body fat
    29 waist

currently
    137lbs
    7% body fat
    29 waist

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    sounds to me like he's eating plenty. 4 tablespoons of cocunut oil plus almond butter is a lot. calories do matter when all things are said and done. if he's eating too much fat (at 9 calories per gram) his body may be getting all the fuel it needs from food, and not going to his fat stores. he should really consider closely tracking his food for few days...eat however he would normally eat, and just write it all down. after 3-4 days, take a half hour and find out all the nutrient information (try fitday.com) and create a daily average. he may be eating more than you think. if he reduces his fat intake and focuses more on quality meats and veggies he'll start to see more loss.

i also agree with the above posters that trying some IF might be a good idea, and doing a little more moving would be good. a morning walk is great, but thrown in something that will make him work hard once in a while. sprinting, jumping, body weight squats.

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    sounds to me like he's eating plenty. 4 tablespoons of cocunut oil plus almond butter is a lot. calories do matter when all things are said and done. if he's eating too much fat (at 9 calories per gram) his body may be getting all the fuel it needs from food, and not going to his fat stores. he should really consider closely tracking his food for few days...eat however he would normally eat, and just write it all down. after 3-4 days, take a half hour and find out all the nutrient information (try fitday.com) and create a daily average. he may be eating more than you think. if he reduces his fat intake and focuses more on quality meats and veggies he'll start to see more loss.

i also agree with the above posters that trying some IF might be a good idea, and doing a little more moving would be good. a morning walk is great, but thrown in something that will make him work hard once in a while. sprinting, jumping, body weight squats.
    His calories are usually around 1500-1700 on work days, but probably more reasonable on the weekends. We can shift him to leaner meat and more veggies, less fat. I have started that for myself anyway. More lean beef, less bacon and sausage. It just doesn't make sense to me that I can eat 1000 more calories than him at 120 lbs less and maintain, but he can gain while still eating below maintenance. Should he be aiming for .75 to 1g protein per goal weight? (So between 150-200g protein?)

Quote Originally Posted by jaysondecambra View Post
    is he doing any cardio?
    walks 6 days a week, very hilly; he has a tendency to tear muscles, 5 in the last 2 yrs. Sprints and hi intensity is a little daunting. But he did do P90x
    for a year and a half. Some weight lost but it came back once he quit. Trained in martial arts until a bicep tear and shoulder injury.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimIcy View Post
    I'm built similar to your husband, and I put on weight exceedingly easy. My recommendation would be to have him read up on leangains.com and see if a 6-8 hour eating window would be something he could do. If so it could do wonders.
    I'll have him look at leangains. He will love the 6-8 hr window on workdays for sure. I just wasn't sure how much he could do if we suspect adrenal fatigue. He takes quality supplements for adrenal support as well as others, but he has a high stress job and has always struggled with proper sleep. I guess I had been thinking he couldn't IF much if this was the case. He will be seeing a dr about this in a couple of months.

Also, if you are built similar do you find you eat fewer calories than maybe you think you ought to? Or do you end up eating your calorie budget and maintain well with a leangains approach?

Thanks for all the help. We've been working on this and I am completely stumped.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I agree that calories are not the issue

Sleep issues and job stress are most likely the culprits. Increased cortisol will make it challenging to lose fat.

400-600 gm Magnesium citrate 1/2 hour before sleep may help. And anything he can do to relieve the job stress.

I agree that sleep seems to be the issue here. Could he have sleep apnea? Look into having him tested and doing a sleep study.

Other things he can do to improve sleep quality is to take a really hot shower or bath immediately before bed or look into supplements. I take valerian root and sometimes melatonin. Make sure he has adequate sun exposure to help with natural melatonin production also. If supplementing melatonin, make sure to take it about 3 hours before what should be his bedtime (I know you said he sometimes has an erratic schedule, but taking it at the same time every evening will help).

The hot shower/bath sounds too simple to be effective but it really works. That's my excuse for getting a hot tub.
    My blog, The Overflowing Pantry

Primal-esque since Feb 2010
    100% Primal since May 2011 (again)

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Yogurt View Post
    I agree that sleep seems to be the issue here. Could he have sleep apnea? Look into having him tested and doing a sleep study.

Other things he can do to improve sleep quality is to take a really hot shower or bath immediately before bed or look into supplements. I take valerian root and sometimes melatonin. Make sure he has adequate sun exposure to help with natural melatonin production also. If supplementing melatonin, make sure to take it about 3 hours before what should be his bedtime (I know you said he sometimes has an erratic schedule, but taking it at the same time every evening will help).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I agree that calories are not the issue

400-600 gm Magnesium citrate 1/2 hour before sleep may help. And anything he can do to relieve the job stress.
    He does use Natural Calm (2t ~350mg), and occasionally melatonin. He mentioned to me that when he takes melatonin he always wakes up at 4am. He'll usually go back to bed, but its always 4am. He sleeps ok, its just that he may not get home from work until 12am or 1, and then it seems like when he goes to bed that late, he'll be up before 6 the next morning. His mind is going all the time I suppose.

Sun and stress breaks have been a big topic in our house for him though. But I'm his wife, not his mother- I can only get him to do so much, the rest he's on his own! He's definitely willing, its just that in the moment he forgets or puts it aside for the immediate need.

Thanks again, please keep the advice coming. I am keeping all these notes for him.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by merehart View Post
    His calories are usually around 1500-1700 on work days, but probably more reasonable on the weekends. We can shift him to leaner meat and more veggies, less fat. I have started that for myself anyway. More lean beef, less bacon and sausage. It just doesn't make sense to me that I can eat 1000 more calories than him at 120 lbs less and maintain, but he can gain while still eating below maintenance. Should he be aiming for .75 to 1g protein per goal weight? (So between 150-200g protein?)
    protein should be main fuel in his diet. those are pretty good numbers to aim for. i think good veggies with added fat (butter, dressings, etc.) should be eaten the most though.

it sounds like this could also be a leptin issue. there's a new blog out by a doctor who just wrote about this sort of thing yesterday:
    Why is Oprah still obese? Leptin part 3……… - Jack Kruse

give that a read and see if you can pick anything up.

SlimIcy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by merehart View Post
    Also, if you are built similar do you find you eat fewer calories than maybe you think you ought to? Or do you end up eating your calorie budget and maintain well with a leangains approach?
    The nice thing about an 8 hour eating window for me is that it makes weight maintenance effortless. I still have to focus on being "good" and limiting my cheats (beer, whiskey, beer) to lose weight, but unless I'm drastically overindulging and/or eating 4000 calories a day multiple days in a row I am not gaining back any weight.