Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Substitutes for Sprints and 55-75% rule page

PrimalHockey is offline Junior Member

Question Substitutes for Sprints and 55-75% rule

Primal Fuel
    hi everyone...

i am reading the book, and i have looked on the forums for an answer to my question, but as of yet, i have had no luck

i JUST started PB yesterday (06 JUN) and i am curious about the exercises.. maybe i have a substitute?

i play hockey USUALLY 1x a week... sometimes 2x... would THAT count as a sprint? it IS balls out, sometimes for as long as 3 minutes...

and what about a daily skate session? as long as my heart rate is 55-75% right?

i can lift heavy things too... i have weights

any suggestions would be great!

THANKS

PH

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i think a daily skate session is a great way to move slowly, but 3-5 hours a week of just skating around a rink sounds a little dull. but, if it's fun for you, do it. personally, i'd rather strap on some rollerblades and go somewhere.
    and hockey should serve as sprinting. the intervals of intensity and rest make for a great metabolic workout. you may also want to think about running some regular sprints too though...i imagine that will only help to improve your skating.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I think that's a good sub from a metabolic standpoint, if you wanted to do running sprints you could do so maybe twice a month or something, I'd recommend uphill to build up your legs too but I assume they're already pretty strong from skating.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    Why do you need a substitute?
    I think he's asking because he's going to be skating no matter what.

yes sir coach... i was thonking that hockey would be a good substitute since i WILL be doing it anyway... just thought i could use skating as a replacement since it IS so intense with rest periods..

im with YOU primalrob... going somewhere WOULD be cool... except i work from home (have to take care of my mom) and theres no real sidewalks around here... i have a good nighborhood to skate in though... some hills and some flats...

thanks for the input friends!

PH

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    I thought you were talking about subbing the PBF exercises for alternatives exercises...my bad!

pattyd is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the PB
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

secretlobster is offline Senior Member
    I like to look at it this way because it helps me to be honest with myself - If I'm doing the same thing, I'm going to get the same results. If you look at this lifestyle in terms of, "is what I'm already doing primal enough?" then it becomes sort of an excuse to keep doing the same thing but expecting different results.

I assume the reason you are starting PB is because you want to see changes in your body. In this case, you want to make improvements in terms of exercise. Hockey 1x a week, no that's not sprinting really... There is a difference between sprinting and play. Hockey is your play time. I would still make time to do sprints according to PB. Sprinting is 100% in a short amount of time. I love riding my bike but I know that's "play" and I have to make time to do some extra sprints during the week. I want to get results by ADDING effort in my life. Hope that helps, at least in terms of PB theory

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    very cool way of looking at it lobster... very cool indeed...

it IS play... its HARD BRUTAL EXHAUSTIVE play, but play nevertheless...

looks like i need to find a place to go sprint... i have THE perfect place for it too.... the GOLF course!

thanks again for all the insight!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast