Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Listen to my body or forcefeed myself? page

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Listen to my body or forcefeed myself?

Primal Fuel
    These days I have no appetite but I'm training very hard at the gym.

Should I eat as I feel like it or make sure I eat enough by the end of the day?

I'm not looking to lose weight and I don't want to interfere with my progress at the gym.

Generally I crave more carbs, not protein. That's all I can eat in the mornings. I'm sick of eating eggs!

For example it's dinner time but I want a peanut butter sandwhich instead of chicken.

What do I do?
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Conner P. is offline Senior Member
    I say a combo of listening to your body and getting on yourself to eat. And maybe having a few carbs would be a good thing, especially before bed. When I have something sweet before bed, I am STARVING in the morning. Dunno if it is good or not but my appetite sure steps it into high gear.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    I'd say trust your body about everything except carbs. Sometimes you have to translate what your body is asking for though.

Body: I want peanut butter
    You: How about almond butter instead?
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

cruncan is offline Member
    Force your food down your throat. If you want to be a beast, you have to eat like a beast. Get some protein. It's a lot easier to make a protein shake than scramble eggs all day(keep eating eggs! Just cut down once you get some protein) Eat some red meat! It's a lot better for building muscle and it gives you more energy. Pb&j's aren't primal at all lol. BUT if u do have to eat one then eat it right after you workout, in order to spike blood sugar and improve protein synthesis. I recommend you stay primal, but I have had good success building muscle in the past with a high carbohydrate, high protein, low fat diet. The muscle came easy, but I wasn't very healthy. Also you will gain some fat that way. I recommend manning up and eating a lot of veggies and protein, lots of protein after your workout also some fruit post workout for the insulin spike. JUST EAT A LOT. A LOT OF PRIMAL FOOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist View Post
    I'd say trust your body about everything except carbs. Sometimes you have to translate what your body is asking for though.

Body: I want peanut butter
    You: How about almond butter instead?
    Peanut butter almond butter doesn't make a difference.

Furan is offline Member
    @cruncan, I understand your point and I agree that you have to eat large amounts of primal food if you want to be a beast. However, I would really not recommend forcing food down his throat : it might be the case that he's experiencing some digestive trouble or whatever, which justifies the lack of appetite.
    So, for the moment, I'd say @rphlslv, listen to your body, see how long the lack of appetite lasts. If it really is much larger than the span of, say, a fortnight, then you might want to change your strategy.
    Last edited by Furan; 06-06-2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: nickname spelling mistake
    ======== ==== == =
    Be hardcore, drink water

Quote Originally Posted by Furan View Post
    @cruncan, I understand your point and I agree that you have to eat large amounts of primal food if you want to be a beast. However, I would really not recommend forcing food down his throat : it might be the case that he's experiencing some digestive trouble or whatever, which justifies the lack of appetite.
    So, for the moment, I'd say @rhplslv, listen to your body, see how long the lack of appetite lasts. If it really is much larger than the span of, say, a fortnight, then you might want to change your strategy.
    I was thinking maybe it's good to give my body a break?

Last week I had an amazing workout the day after I hardly ate anything.

Maybe it's the heat?

Furan is offline Member
    @rphlslv (sorry for the spelling mistake the first time) :
    agreed I believe that listening to your body is not only limited to knowing when to eat.
    Seasonal changes can definitely affect your mood, as well as your overall feeling. So yes, I'd say, if you feel like something is wrong, let go off your usual workout.
    If after trying to get your break you still want to get something going, then I'd suggest you change the style of your training session (have fun trying anything else =] ), and again, see how you feel.
    ======== ==== == =
    Be hardcore, drink water

Been having some really good workouts lately so I think it wasn't detrimental to my training in the short term.

I'm gonna solve this problem by eating a big ass quadruple burger every evening. Easy to make and easy to eat, 100+ grams of protein.

Also I am sick of eggs, not gonna eat them anymore.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I find that I have much less appetite in the Summer. Try eating prosciutto, olives, artichoke hearts, sweet peppers, caprese salad or just sliced tomatoes with pesto, etc . . . And if you're working out, some carbs probably aren't a bad idea. A baked sweet potato with lots of butter (I like sour cream on mine as well) might help with the carb cravings without having to eat grains.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast