Thread: Making a comeback page

shelleyseattle is offline Junior Member

Making a comeback

Shop Now
    I'm super excited to find this forum as I've been looking for a way to hold myself accountable to eating well. Here's a little bit about where I'm starting from.

I'm a 32 year old graduate student. I'm 5'4'' and about 137lbs, which isn't too far from where I'd like to be, but many of my clothes don't fit well and I'd generally like to be leaner and stronger. Last year I did a modified paleo diet for about 4 months with my husband and I loved it. I was interested in it primarily because I generally believe in eating well, but I very commonly succumb to eating m+m's in addition to my kale. I wanted to find a way to help myself refrain from eating processed foods--those things that push me past feeling full on a regular basis. I'd like to work on being more aware of how full I feel and stopping before I eat more than I need to (something I do on a regular basis).

This year I am recovering from a running injury and am on the mend from a PRP shot in my high hamstring last week. No exercise for a week and then gradual pick up, so I'd like to focus on what i can control, my diet, and working back up to bike commuting and hopefully a sprint triathlon in the fall.

When I did the paleo diet before, my husband and I went about 90%, eating dairy and the occasional treat. I find that this is a good balance for me. It would be interesting to try going dairy free for a week, but I haven't worked up to that yet.

Day 1:
    Weight: 137
    B: Brown cow maple yogurt (there is one more left in the fridge, I can't let it go to waste!)
    L: leftover cauliflower gratin (cauliflower, a little gruyere, and a little bread crumbs)
    snack: dried cranberries/cashews, string cheese
    D: almond meal pancakes with a little maple syrup, red wine

WOD: none (tomorrow I'll meet a trainer for an upper body workout)

Not the healthiest day ever, but I'm counting it as a transition day. I'm also leaving town to visit my husband's family on Wednesday, so I'm trying to eat the leftovers (though i try to remind myself I am not a garbage disposal).

Here goes!

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome and good luck. It sounds like you already have a good handle on things so grok on with your badself!
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Good luck with primal!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
    I'm a little bit loathe to write today even though it wasn't such a bad day. I suppose that's the point of this, to keep me honest even when I don't have a perfect day. Today I faced the challenge of eating out with friends twice, at lunch at the tacqueria near my office and then for trivia at our neighborhood bar. I also had a bit of a headache, which I haven't had in a long time (I used to get them all the time). I usually take aleve or excedrin but because of the PRP I am only allowed to take tylenol for 3 months. It helped a little, at least it didn't get worse, but made me a little crabby.

I did get a TRX workout with my trainer which was amazing, makes me want to get one, especially considering we were able to 50 mins worth of upper body, just what I need right now.

B: Brown cow maple yogurt (last one in the fridge)
    snack: dried cranberries, almonds, cashews
    L: 3 small chicken tacos. Of the six tortillas they came with, I ate 2 and a little of the refried beans, even though I planned not to.
    snack after my workout on my way to dinner: spoonful of peanut butter (I know, not really primal)
    D: 4oz steak, gorgeous spinach salad with almonds and sun dried tomatoes, 2 Manny's Pale Ales with trivia

WOD:
    TRX: bicep curls, triceps, push ups (double and single armed), rows (double and single), Ws, Ys, mountain climbers, pikes, and whatever you call the one where you're in a plank and you move one leg out while the other stays still

I also did about 30 minutes of walking total today which is the most walking I've done on this hamstring since the PRP. I was amazed at how I didn't feel it at all during the TRX workout and I'm hoping it still feels this good tomorrow- it would be great to be able to do those regularly.

I'm looking forward to my trip to Denver tomorrow to see my husband's family. I'm a little tentative about how well I will be able to eat there, but I know his parents usually try to be low carb so it should be easy to be 80% at least. I'll stash some Larabars in my bag just in case.

How do you stay primal when visiting family?

I've been in Denver for the last 5 days with my husband's family and have absolutely done nothing to maintain my streak here. I find it hard to stay primal when dining with others, but I have found it particularly hard here where my every move is monitored and scrutinized and great offense is taken easily. How do other people deal with this? My mother-in-law lost a great deal of weight last year eating a high protein diet, but doesn't seem to be keeping that up and I basically just gave up and ate whatever was put in front of me.

In addition, my in-laws are very active, which normally would be a good thing. However, because of my recent PRP shot, I am very slowly returning to exercise and found this week to be a constant battle of how much I could do. Even when I made my preferences very clear (no more than 2-3 miles of walking a day, more than I should probably really do), it was a constant battle: "Can't we just go a little further? Well what about just up this hill and around that neighborhood and across this bluff...well why not?". So now I have an unhappy hamstring and I'm looking forward to returning to some control over my life.

On the upside, the weather has been amazing and I got to spend some quality time with our 4month old niece and her parents, which was great. Back to the real world.
    Last edited by shelleyseattle; 06-22-2011 at 07:07 PM.

invino77 is offline Senior Member
    One can always "have a gluten allergy" in cases like this.....I live in italy, where pasta is king at all family meals, my gluten allergy has come in handy, and definitely offended.....:0(

But, I feel like so much is out of our control, at least we can control the food we eat, right?

Wednesday 6.15.11

Gluten allergy is a good call, but then I'd really have to commit, wouldn't I?

Today was a good day all in all:
    B: 2 fried eggs, tiny bit of pepper jack cheese, large americano with half+half
    L: salad from TJs, beets, chicken, and a little dressing
    S: cashews and string cheese
    D: palek paneer plus dark chocolate with a little peanut butter

Still not dairy free but I'm used to eating yogurt daily, sometimes more. This weekend I'm going to visit some friends where I think it will be easier than my last trip!
    Last edited by shelleyseattle; 06-15-2011 at 08:01 PM.

Ok, so I fell off the wagon a bit there, this past week has been crazy with travel and a multi day work meeting stuffed to the gills with scones, granola, orzo salad, lemon bars and too much red wine. I think I need to reorient a bit and think hard about what it is I'm doing when I'm doing it. I am a social eater, no question. I find myself making excuses for myself based on what the people I'm with do,no matter who they are or what I've already eaten that day (or what my overall goals are apparently).

I went to PT yesterday for the first time since my PRP shot and he basically told me to do what I'm doing: increase workouts 10% per week, don't do anything that hurts, etc. He did say I should be doing high repetition low weight hamstring exercises like curls etc, which is good, I hadn't been sure about that. Tomorrow I'll meet with my trainer and try to add a few things in.

This is one of my favorite places to find primal recipes- she is an amazing cook from what I can tell.
    Life As A Plate

My husband has been out of town for a month and so I've found it hard to motivate myself to cook for just one, but today I actually have time! And he'll be back tomorrow so I'm motivated to get back into it.

Today was a good day in that though I didn't get it together to feel like cooking when I got home, I also did not order the PIZZA I considered getting after I was talking with my co-worker about my last night of "freedom" before my husband comes home tomorrow. Instead I bought blueberries, strawberries and Nancy's full fat organic cottage cheese and paired those with a little red wine and dark chocolate.
    Tomorrow I am planning to make a goat cheese stuffed chicken breast with a broccoli salad, from the link I posted earlier today.

I'm currently reading Nina Planck's book Real Food, which isn't primal necessarily, but does a lot to talk about the problems with the conventional wisdom. It was published in 2006, well before Pollan's In Defense Of Food. I'm not sure if I just am out of the loop or if this book did not get as much attention. I'm not very far into it, but so far it's very much about eating normal, non-processed foods. Since I am not totally dairy free, I am slightly closer to eating her way than totally primal, which at least rit now is a good transition place.

I've considered doing the 30 day challenges and I immediately talk myself out of doing it, why is that? I think, no, I'm going to visit my family this weekend, I have book club on Monday, there is no way I can do it right now. How do people stop making excuses and just go for it.

One last thing I'm thinking about today is how to moderate my drinking a bit. At a work function earlier this week, I had three glasses of wine and felt terrible the next day. I don't seem to be able to do more than one glass at a time now, which is fine most days, but I often have one and then another without really thinking about it if I'm with friends who are drinking. Something to consider out loud.

Tomorrow I have a trainer work out, yay! I'm hoping to return to cross fit this fall when my hammy is better, can't wait.

PrimalCon New York
    WOD Thursday 6.23

3 sets of*
    15 Lat pull downs @50
    15 Pec press @ 40-50
    12 Ham curls @30

15*Windmills 2@7.5 and 1@10
    15 tricep dips
    12 Bicep curls @12.5
    15 Rows, no weight

10 ball windmills
    15 ball pikes

2 sets of 10 ham curls on ball

Hamstring feels ok so far. I ordered a ball today so I can do those all fro home, we'll see how it goes!