Thread: Training ideas for races...like Tough Mudder! page

Beef51 is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb Training ideas for races...like Tough Mudder!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just curious if anyone is competing in races or competitions and what they're doing to get ready! Some brainstorming could also help everyone out!

Today, my teamates and I did 2 miles in hills (about 60 deg. incline) and half was done carrying 30-50 lb log. yesterday was 2 mile run on beach and some lifts with stones.. 10 rounds of 10 reps dead lift to curl/powerclean to push press/ overhead lunges.
    I've also been an avid CrossFitter and am loving the CF and grok ideologies combined! Tough Mudder WI is about a month 1/2 away and i'm really stoked!

squeally dan is offline Member
    I haven't done any of these type races, but I plan to do a Warrior Dash in the fall and a ToughMudder after Christmas if I enjoy the warrior dash. I think this looks like a blast.

I'm not sure about training. I do know that I became a friendof the Spartan race on facebook and they post some scary workouts most weeks. I haven't tried any yet, but am thinking about adding one/week.

Last week they posted ths workout: run 1 mile/10 pushup/10 pullups/20 crunches -then repeat x8

huntercopelandnutrition

jaysond is offline Senior Member
    i am really considering tough mudder. i watch the website daily. it will be here in ca in sept.

i went primal in feb 2010
    200lbs
    37% body fat
    38-40 waist

1 year to the day
    140lbs
    7.8% body fat
    29 waist

currently
    137lbs
    7% body fat
    29 waist

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i'm doing the warrior dash in a couple of weeks and the spartan in a couple of months, and i think just following PBF and running once in a while is going to get me through the race just fine (having a competitive time is a different story of course). i've looked at the tough mudder as a possibility, and that looks like a whole different animal...longer with more intensity and a much high endurance demand. i'm hoping to sign up for it the next time it comes to new england, which will give me plenty of time to get ready for it. i'll likely focus on doing all the PBF exercises at the plyometric and weighted levels, one short super intense sprint session per week, and one longer sprint session (400yd.) per week, with a good chunk of swimming, biking, running, climbing and jumping mixed in there to round out whatever i've missed.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I just did Spartan over the weekend with literally zero preparation on the endurance side of things, and also on the running side. I do a lot of strength work but not enough endurance.

I was able to finish but was nowhere near competitive, hills were brutal after a while.

I think training outdoors is key, training in hills is a MUST and training weighted or carrying/pulling an object would help tremendously as well. Personally I’d focus on distance especially for Warrior Dash. Doing Spartan made my gf and I agree that we’ll train outdoors at least once a week and on hills preferably, such a different beast when you have to actually pay attention to your surroundings. I love it.

I'm doing the Warrior dash in Sept. I truely believe these runs carry with them such an accurate measurement of the word "fitness". Can you RUN for extended amounts of time, can you pull your bodyweight up a wall, can you pick awkward objects up and carry them an extended distance, can you swim, what level of coordination and agility do you have, etc, etc. I haven't even done one yet but I love them already!

Hey Dan-"Last week they posted ths workout: run 1 mile/10 pushup/10 pullups/20 crunches -then repeat x8"

One of my workouts for the tough mudder, will be a local 10 k run in Green Bay...every mile we're doing 25 burpees! yeeeehaaaww!

Ouch. I want to start adding a workout like that every week. Maybe not that tough..at least starting out .

huntercopelandnutrition

Today's workout:
    15 min. hand stand practice
    800 m run (warmup)

5 rounds for time:
    10 Jerk press
    20 pullups (butterfly kipped)
    30 pushups
    40 bench jumps

took 42 min. it was one hell of a mental struggle in 80-90 deg. heat

Quote Originally Posted by Beef51 View Post
    Today's workout:
    15 min. hand stand practice
    800 m run (warmup)

5 rounds for time:
    10 Jerk press
    30 pushups
    40 bench jumps

Wow! I want to add some of these types of workouts. I'm curious what you do the rest of the week. IS this something you would only do once/week or what?

I just got done with a years worth of P90x + I run three days/week. Now I'm running 3 days/week and doingthe primal bleprint fitness workouts 3 times/week. I'm going to do Warrior Dash in the fall. It will be my first of these type of races. Then I'd like to try the tought mudder after Christmas. Thought I could use the WariorDash to figure out what I need to work on.

huntercopelandnutrition

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beef51 View Post

5 rounds for time:

you did 5 rounds of 20 pull ups? damn. that would take me all day.