Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Sweet Potato Recipes? page

Aly
    Aly is offline Senior Member

Primal Sweet Potato Recipes?

So I thought that cooking a sweet potato was just like cooking a regular potato: cover it with a little oil, wrap it with seran wrap, and throw it in the microwave for ten minutes. Apparently that's not how you do it, because mine came out as a dry, wrinkly, inedible sweet potato-resembling mound. I could use some help here. XD

So does the MDA community have any suggestions?

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    For one medium sweet potato, I would poke a few holes and put it in the microwave for 5 minutes. After that, I would check it and probably turn it over to cook a while longer.

A recipe that uses sweet potatoes
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I've been cooking a whole batch of them at once. Wash potato(es) but don't dry. Place them bare, in the crockpot on low for 8 hours. They come out perfectly moist and soft.

Chasintrail is offline Senior Member
    Cut into 1/2" sliced
    Coat with melted coconut oil (I put a bunch on the pan and melt in the oven then just smear the slices around)
    Spread out on a flat baking pan
    Sprinkle garam masala to taste (I like a lot!)
    Bake at 375F for 15 minutes
    Turn over and sprinkle more garam masala
    Cook an additional 10-15 minutes

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    I usually put 5 or 6 in the oven at a time at 425. Wrapped in foil with a pat of butter for 120 minutes.

Another one I like is to take 2 large baked sweet potatoes and 3 eggs mashed and mixed up. Add 1 tbsp of cinnamin and bake at 350 for 30 min. Comes out great and tastes good.

PrimalJenn is offline Member
    i have done the sweet potato hash, which is super easy and delish. just shred 3 sweet pots, cook up on stove in coconut oil and sausage and sprinkle of cinnamon. next time im gonna add more stuff like onions, mushrooms and maybe spinach. delish and even better the next day with a fried egg on top! another fav is roasted, dice up the sweet pots and throw in a dutch oven with coconut oil or evoo, leeks, carrots or parsnips, garlic, mushrooms....really you can add anything here and let it bake in a 500 degree oven till soft.

redtoycar is offline Member
    For oven baked sweet potato chips, or sweet potato fries, we like this dipping sauce:

2 parts yogurt
    1 part mayo (you can use Primal mayo of course)
    add the following to taste:
    fresh grated ginger
    cayenne pepper
    curry powder
    turmeric
    salt

It's soooooo good!

CE402 is offline Senior Member
    Wash and pat dry.

Coat in oil, sprinkle with salt. Poke with fork, place on pan and bake at 400F for 45-60 minutes.

That's about all I do. Maybe eat with butter, most if the time I'll scoop out the insides and refrigerate to eat post workout, blended in with whey powder and coconut water.

Another is to make a casserole with sweet potatoes, rutabagas, and carrots. Cube all 3 and boil until tender. Mash with butter and cream, add cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice, then bake at 350.

I don't have ratios for any of this, as I cook it by feel.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    I've been cooking a whole batch of them at once. Wash potato(es) but don't dry. Place them bare, in the crockpot on low for 8 hours. They come out perfectly moist and soft.
    That's a great idea, especially for the heat we have in the summer months!
    Georgette

Daria is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Check out everydaypaleo.com if you haven't already. Sarah uses sweet potatoes quite a bit in her recipes found either on her blog or in her book.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast