Thread: to add fat or not? page

Dellastreet is offline Member

to add fat or not?

Shop Now
    As a former low fat vegan, I'm used to eating my veggies straight up, maybe with a bit of sea salt. Now that I am eating meat, it seems that putting butter on veggies is overkill. Plus, I actually like them plain.

Does it mess up eating primal if I don't butter my veggies when there's meat at the meal? I get the impression that most people on here don't eat naked veg, but butter on veg, with meat, seems like too much fat at once.

peril is offline Senior Member
    If you are trying to lose weight then no, you don't need extra fat. After all, you want to burn body fat. Just make sure you get enough protein.

If you're trying to maintain weight and be energetic you need to get enough calories and fat is a no cost, metabolically speaking, way to do that. I'm in maintenance so add fat to meals and also choose fatty cuts of meat when I cook on the weekend. I also have to cope with my wife cooking low fat a lot of the time so resort to pouring olive oil over food she serves and finishing my meal with some cheese
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Rapunzel is offline Member
    (Warning: I'm the most laid-back primal person you'll meet)

I generally say, "Do what you feel comfortable with."

I don't butter everything. If I'm eating a particularly lean meat (chicken breasts, lean cuts of beef/pork), I'll butter up the veggies. If I'm eating a particularly fatty meat (bacon, sausage, dark meat on chicken, duck, etc), I'll leave the butter off the veggies and toss them with some fresh herbs.

I shoot for balance on a plate more than anything. And I listen closely to my body. I can't handle having chicken thighs and buttered veggies. I've found that alternating the two major portions on my plate makes me feel the best.

Like...saturday night (not last night, getting my days confused) I had grilled chicken breast (marinated in OJ + apple cider vinegar....Mmmm), kale/mustard greens sauteed with diced panchetta, roasted garlic scapes and asparagus.
    Last edited by Rapunzel; 06-06-2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Too much work and too little play makes the days run together

Dellastreet is offline Member
    Thanks. I am trying to lose weight and help my diabetes, so I'm glad not to have to put butter on the veggies. I was a little freaked out by the butter to begin with and never used very much, but I'm glad to know it isn't necessary to have at every meal. Butter! It must be years since I've had butter in my fridge.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I sometimes add butter to my veg, but most times I don't. I too enjoy them with just a bit of sea salt or other spices. Actually, I've been eating a great deal of my veggies raw lately. It just seems so appropriate this time of year.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dellastreet View Post
    Thanks. I am trying to lose weight and help my diabetes, so I'm glad not to have to put butter on the veggies. I was a little freaked out by the butter to begin with and never used very much, but I'm glad to know it isn't necessary to have at every meal. Butter! It must be years since I've had butter in my fridge.
    See? This is what I was talking about on my calorie counting threads. Newbies get the idea that if their diet is not slathered in fat it is not righteously Primal. There is a middle ground between fat-phobic Pritiken style dieting and gobs of added fat. This is how I got stuck losing nothing and even gaining weight for five months. Everyone kept telling me to eat more fat. When I put the emphasis on protein and backed off the fat, I started losing and have lost 21 lbs in 3 months.