Thread: I have this training idea.... page

johnnyq is offline Junior Member

Question I have this training idea....

Hi,

I am considering performing daily 20-30 minutes of movement at a slow pace, totaling 2 hours 20 minutes to 3 hours 30 minutes per week, and following this workout with sprints (once a week) and lift heavy things (1-3 times a week), never sprint and lht om the same day.

Would this be OK or would it lead to over training?

Johnny

PokeyBug is offline Member
    That's actually what I'm starting tomorrow, lol. I don't think it'll lead to over training. For me, it's stepping back. I have been doing an hour of MS either before or after LHT and Sprints. (I have no idea if it's advisable, but I have been doing one hour MS in the mornings, a quick siesta after lunch, then Sprint or LHT in the afternoon.) I feel like I"m cutting back, but summer's here, and I'd rather spend time playing with my kids than exercising.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    If you sprint or lift intensely enough... no... because you wouldn't have the energy to give the 2nd one full effort. Try doing hill sprints after squatting and deadlifting... not going to happen.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    that's pretty much what i do. i usually take a short walk (25-30 minutes) every day at lunch, do PBF 3 days a week and sprint once a week (sometimes twice). my lifting is all body weight or done with a weighted backpack or something, so i'm not stressing my legs as much as i was when i was under the bar. it's a great amount of exercise for me, with usually a good long hike or something on the weekend.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Isn't that exactly what the PBF has you do? sounds good to me man, go for it. What kind of movement at a slow pace are you thinking, walking? biking? Your body will tell you if you're over doing it but I don't think you will.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999 View Post
    If you sprint or lift intensely enough... no... because you wouldn't have the energy to give the 2nd one full effort. Try doing hill sprints after squatting and deadlifting... not going to happen.
    But he said he wasn't going to sprint or LHT on the same day. So the answer is "yes, that looks fine."

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Yeah. Walking is always good for you.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    oh yea... sorry about that.

johnnyq is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Isn't that exactly what the PBF has you do? sounds good to me man, go for it. What kind of movement at a slow pace are you thinking, walking? biking? Your body will tell you if you're over doing it but I don't think you will.
    My slow pace movement is like a triathlon: I divide the total exercise time by three and perform equally in an elliptical, a stationary bike and walking, all within primal blueprint's recommended pace.

I do this way to:

1. Involve different muscles

2. Avoid boredom

I started a month ago and I've doing slow pace movement 4 days a week with 2 lht and 1 sprint days on the remaining week days.

I'll reduce my exercise time and start with a daily routine.

By the way, I'm having a prostate cancer operation on July 1. But the Dr. said I should be "in the golf course" in 1 to 2 weeks. So hopefully, I won't detrain much.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Are you splitting up your exercises? Intense squat sessions take too much recovery time for 3 a week. I usually try to get in one lower body day (squats/deads) and one upper body day (Pullups, pushups/dips/bench) with a bit of isolation work on the side (call it useless all you want, but my benching suffers if I don't do skullcrushers now and then).
    And moving slowly shouldn't be limited, just do as much as you can whenever you can (I did another 4 hours today, making my weekly total 5 hours so far).
    As for sprints, They help me beat the light at the crosswalk, but other than that...
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.