Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Kruse aka The Quilt page

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member

Jack Kruse aka The Quilt

Shop Now
    Why is Oprah still obese? Leptin part 3……… - Jack Kruse

This is part 3 of a series about leptin. I'm really interested to know what you make of it. So far as I can understand it, it makes sense to me, and he certainly has nailed the experiences I have when I try to introduce exercise into my life - as well as the persistently large belly.

However, the 30 levees and their interconnections are way beyond my comprehension. I latched onto this latest blog simply because it's the only one in there that has any recommendations for healing leptin resistance - but I can't see the why of it! Why 50g protein? Why within 30 minutes of rising? I kind of get the three meals a day and no snacking thing (I think). It's one of those ideas that I think I grasp, but I can't explain it and it all slips away again.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

DigitalSurgeon is offline Senior Member
    Just ask the questions that vex you? I will answer them The thirty levees are meant to give you frame work how to protect your cells from disease. You need to use this document to refer back to as the blog posts are added and your understanding expands. My goal is to educate patients WHY things occur. You heal leptin resistance by a few simple steps. Just eating Paleo wont suffice. There is two things that make a car work.......the car itself and the gas in it. The paleo diet is the gas part of this analogy.......the car and how it works is leptin sensitivity.

It requires timing over anything else.
    1. only 3 meals a day until your leptin sensitive. My post clearly asks you to answer the questions to see if you are. Of you can use the mirror test.
    2. Carbs below 25 gms a day until your sensitive.
    3. Never snack ever.
    4. when you rise eat within 30 minutes and protein and fat load. 50-75 grams is required......
    5. meals should be spaced. 6-8 AM, 12-2 PM, and 5-7 PM.

The fuel is paleo.......Just keep following with me as I go. I will give you the tools to outsource your doctor. Read my story.......I am out to change my profession

Jack Kruse

Jac
    LOL, Jack - you're everywhere!!

I reckon I'm definitely leptin resistant - the mirror test plus the experience of exercise you mention, the big belly that doesn't really shift etc etc etc. I have OK bloods (but CRP not tested) so my doc isn't much interested in me. He just says to eat whole grains and exercise. I also get physically hurt really easily and I'm very weak. So I want to fix this if I can. I've been paleo for 3 1/2 months, focused on managing IBS and eliminating the foods that trigger me right now - which I've done. Now I'm ready to move into the next area for improving my health, and I guess leptin is the place to go. I'm about 30kg overweight (66lbs).

I've been reading your blog as well as what you write at Paleohacks, and I'm lost in the science to be honest. I'll keep reading, but in the meantime I really appreciate the bullet pointed guidance you've provided here and in the discussion about Oprah on the latest blog. I would much prefer to be actively trying to help myself WHILE I wait for the next blog, than waiting for the next instalment to see if I can figure out what to do!

I do have a question about your questions, though; paleo has very much improved my carb cravings and hunger, so they're probably not useful guides as they would have been pre-paleo. That leaves the questions about exercise and rest. The exercise question isn't one I can answer as I'm not doing any exercise right now, beyond walking the dog fairly slowly. Do you suggest I start?? I was waiting til some of the weight had come off, and I was feeling less physically compromised. Feeling rested in the morning, if I go to bed without having stared at the computer all evening, is also OK. Having energy to do the dishes in the evening and then have sex before sleep - that's a good measure of whether I'm functioning at a good energy level!! Is that the kind of improvement you'd expect (is so, my husband is gonna really like you, lol).

Thanks
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Jac, I'm new to this leptin issue. I just listened to Kruse on Jimmy Moore's blog. Then went to K's blog. It is all rather complicated, but sounds reasonable. Eating has begun to be uninteresting, which I suppose is good since for too many years I was rewarding the sugar-craving monster in my brain.

Also, how does one know when s/he is no longer leptin sensitive?
    Last edited by Digby; 06-08-2011 at 08:06 PM.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Jac
    Jack has a list of questions that indicate being leptin sensitive - like losing hunger and cravings, sweating during exercise etc. I thought I'd been doing pretty well, but today my cravings are back, in spite of having done nothing new to provoke them! So I guess I should give this a try. One of my worries is that I tend to feel pretty crap on low carb. Getting below 25 is likely to be total torture.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    I'm right in the middle of trying to sort this leptin thing out too. I know I had high rT3 before (2007) so I'm very interested. I just downloaded Mastering Leptin and I'm flipping through it.

I'm not sure why Mastering Leptin is telling people to exercise so much when it doesn't seem to help one bit until you get things sorted out. They don't get into the details of food choices much but they don't seem too Primal or low carb, they just talk about intervals like 3 meals a day and no snacking.

This leptin thing takes some of the momentum from the amateurs that keep saying IF is the fix for EVERYthing.

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    Jack has a list of questions that indicate being leptin sensitive - like losing hunger and cravings, sweating during exercise etc. I thought I'd been doing pretty well, but today my cravings are back, in spite of having done nothing new to provoke them! So I guess I should give this a try. One of my worries is that I tend to feel pretty crap on low carb. Getting below 25 is likely to be total torture.
    Where is the list of questions? I haven't located it.

Found them!
    Last edited by SugarBaby; 06-09-2011 at 11:44 AM. Reason: new info
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

I'm wondering how long it take to reverse LR, on average.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

Here's what I found: Her [Oprah] goal is to focus on becoming leptin sensitive by being required by eating 50 grams of protein at breakfast everyday within 30 minutes of rising, eliminating all snacking especially past 730 PM, eating three meals a day, and limiting her carb intake below fifty grams per day for about 6-8 weeks. In my practice, over the last 5 years that is about the bell curve I have seen for most patients to require their regain their signaling back.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

bwhit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarBaby View Post
    Where is the list of questions? I haven't located it.

Found them!
    I think this is the list. Affirmative answers mean you're leptin sensitive. Not a huge list.

Here are my questions for assessing a patients leptin status…….. Do you notice you sweat more and have less muscle fatigue when you do exercise now? Have your carb cravings gone away? Is your hunger under control now? And are you waking up more refreshed?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast