Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Kruse aka The Quilt page 3

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I agree Barb - it seems that force feeding that way would increase cortisol in itself, wouldn't it?? I'm skipping between 2 threads here, but I posted on the other one that I reckon it's important to eat as soon as you get hungry in the morning (or whenever) if you're already adapted to the paleo way of eating
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Does it still make sense to eat 50g of protein first thing in the morning when you're hungry? I plan on getting the book, just trying to figure out when cause I think I may be leptin sensitive or whatever it is. I'm losing fat, seems to be dropping fat on top and legs faster than I am the midsection. Are there any other rules to eating for leptin sensitivity?
    Georgette

Jac
    The protein, with fat, seems to turn off NPY and increase sensitivity to leptin, which allows the muscles to make good use of the available energy and the body to release unnecessary fat. So I do agree with eating a hefty dose of protein. Mastering leptin notes that later meals can have less protein, but this initial hit seems to flip a switch in the body. Quilt notes that it's a temporary thing to do, only for a couple of months max, to get your body into normal hormonal patterns again.

The only other consistent advice is to avoid snacking, eat with at least 5 hours between meals, don't eat in the evening so you go to bed with no eating for at least 3 hours prior - this latter advice is to maximise fat burning overnight and to restore normal levels of leptin etc.

If you're already losing fat, you're probably at least partially leptin sensitive - good for you!!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    The protein, with fat, seems to turn off NPY and increase sensitivity to leptin, which allows the muscles to make good use of the available energy and the body to release unnecessary fat. So I do agree with eating a hefty dose of protein. Mastering leptin notes that later meals can have less protein, but this initial hit seems to flip a switch in the body. Quilt notes that it's a temporary thing to do, only for a couple of months max, to get your body into normal hormonal patterns again.

The only other consistent advice is to avoid snacking, eat with at least 5 hours between meals, don't eat in the evening so you go to bed with no eating for at least 3 hours prior - this latter advice is to maximise fat burning overnight and to restore normal levels of leptin etc.

If you're already losing fat, you're probably at least partially leptin sensitive - good for you!!
    I don't eat dinner most nights until 730-8PM and typically in bed between9-10:30. I don't get home from work until 6:30PM. Even making something ahead of time sometimes doesn't necessarily mean I can eat by 7. Trying to figure out how I can make this work.
    Georgette

Jac
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    I don't eat dinner most nights until 730-8PM and typically in bed between9-10:30. I don't get home from work until 6:30PM. Even making something ahead of time sometimes doesn't necessarily mean I can eat by 7. Trying to figure out how I can make this work.
    Oh, yes, I remember you posting about your crazy schedule before . If you're already losing, do you need to worry about it?? Your midsection might be the last to go, but eventually it will. I'm the same, really, losing bits on my legs and neck, waist is still the same truck tyre it's been for years.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

I already don't snack much at all. Once a week if at all. I'm going to start eating more like this on Monday. At least let me enjoy my weekend. I have a baby shower tomorrow
    Georgette

Digby is offline Senior Member
    DFH: does ML say why to have the 50g protein first thing? Is their rational same as Kruse?
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Here's another thing I thought of. During my TOM I have anywhere between 1-3 days where I just cannot touch food at all period. I can't stomach it and food just nauseates me. How would I deal with this?
    Georgette

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    DFH: does ML say why to have the 50g protein first thing? Is their rational same as Kruse?
    I hope it's OK to paste a few pages. I can't cut-and-paste.

Source: Amazon.com: Mastering Leptin: The Leptin Diet, Solving Obesity and Preventing Disease, Second Edition (9780972712118): Byron J. Richards, Mary Guignon Richards: Books

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The protein explanation makes good sense. I'm not buying everything they say about which foods.

As far as all the IF fans on here, note what Dr Kruse said about it on Jimmy Moore's forum last night-

..IF is a terrible idea if youre leptin resistant. When youre sensitive it is perfectly fine. If you IF too early you can increase cell death via autophagy. Not good...
    -Dr Kruse
    Before the IF fans get out the torches and pitchforks, that quote comes from someone who has been there and done that.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast