Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I still get a six pack? page

karatepig is offline Member

Can I still get a six pack?

Shop Now
    When I was born, I had an umbilical hernia. Ever since then, my stomach has protruded slightly. These last few months, I have really gotten into weight lifting, and that includes ab exercises. Well, they keep getting stronger, and I have essentially no fat anywhere on my midsection. However, instead of getting a rock-hard six pack, my stomach protrusion is becoming more and more pronounce I look like a little boy with a chubby tummy! This is not good. I am really getting to my whits end here.
    18 year old, male.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    What's your height, weight, bodyfat %?

Give me an example of a typical week's diet and exercise.

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    Depending on the 'ab-excersizes,' they could be the ones CAUSING it! Do you know about maintaining your 'hollow-position'?

(Here is what I mean-- muscle-gut! http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attach...1&d=1110147826 )
    Little Saiyan

jaysond is offline Senior Member
    i started to see mine around 11% body fat but they really didnt wake up and come out to play until i got into single digit body fat!

i went primal in feb 2010
    200lbs
    37% body fat
    38-40 waist

1 year to the day
    140lbs
    7.8% body fat
    29 waist

currently
    137lbs
    7% body fat
    29 waist

Shamra Byrne Guest
    I have a good friend with an umbilical hernia who is in great shape and has more of an 8-pack than a 6-pack so I would definitely say it's possible. However, if your hernia is very large you might want to think about having surgery on it because if hernias get too big they can be dangerous things to have.

karatepig is offline Member
    Please elaborate on the "hollow-position".
    I am 5 feet, 8 inches, and 130 lbs. As far as bodyfat is concerned, I couldn't give you an exact percentage, so you'll just have to take my word for it: it is low. Right now I am doing reverse crunches, however, up until a few weeks ago, I was doing regular crunches with weights on my chest. My Exercise plan is Stronglifts 5x5. A week for me goes like this:
    Monday - squats (5 sets of 5), bench press(5 sets of 5), barbell row (5 sets of 5), reverse crunches (5 sets of 10)
    Wednesday - squats (5 sets of 5), overhead press (5 sets of 5), deadlift (1 set of 5), reverse crunches (5 sets of 10)
    Then back to workout one on Friday, workout 2 on Sunday, and so on and so forth.
    As far as food goes, I am on the more carnivorous side of primal. Today I had a packed-plate of scrambled eggs, mushrooms, pork, and goat cheese for breakfast, and a bunch of what I call cocoyakii chicken for lunch (chicken w/homemade teryakii sauce, and shredded coconut instead of rice)
    Two weeks ago I decided to go ahead and try GOMAD (gallon of milk a day) to supplement my weight lifting (it is raw, fresh, goat milk mind you, not the crap from the local grocery store). However, this was a problem before that, and the milk hasn't seemed to be detrimental in any way so far.
    Last edited by karatepig; 06-06-2011 at 03:56 PM.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I would get up to 155ish and develop strength before I worried about abs. You're not going to get ripped doing a gomad program but at 130... you need to add some mass. Worry about abs in a couple of years.

Do you have any pics you could post? The chicken sounds delicious. Um, anyhow, the Hollow Position is basically a core position that is extremely tucked and extremely tight that you can take into other excercizes as form. A good way to practice is to find some gymnastics rings and work on your Support Position. Support Position is simply gripping the rings, hopping up, and holding yourself rigid and upright for whatever length of time. Try 15 seconds. Hollow position calls for your pelvis to be tucked, abs pulled toward your spine, and your core held steady. I'm not very good at explaining this... um.. anyone else?
    Little Saiyan

The Compound Strength and Conditioning: CrossFit Vacaville North: Tuesday 11.16.10

Here is a post from some random blog that I just found that displays a picture of the hollow position. It takes on different forms, depending on your body's position, of course.

Gymnastics Revolution - Gymnastics Interactive - 203-798-8651
    Here is another one.

The back is NOT arched in Hollow. It is entirely neutral. It is as neutral as it can be! If practising it on the floor (great way to start) as opposed to on rings or in a handstand, it means the entire spine is touching the floor.

(P.S. Raw goats milk is a magical liquid that is more refreshing than water. I can't even bring it into my house anymore, as I will INDEED drink a gallon of it a day! Or eat a gallon of raw-goat yogurt a day after making it? And I'm a tiny being!)

P.S.S. This is the best link I've seen. What a cool way to practice! http://www.blitzbuzz.com/index/workout-hollow-rock
    Last edited by ikaika; 06-06-2011 at 06:04 PM.
    Little Saiyan

bookstorecowboy is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Jesus! Crossfit. Hollow position. Have to get up to 155. The crap on this list.

Your body shape is mostly genetically determined. You can enlarge muscles to a degree. You cannot change their basic shape. You cannot make yourself into someone else's body with the right type of training.

You don't have to add any muscle. You don't have to get a six pack. You don't have to suck in your gut all the time. You have been conditioned to find your body inadequate by media. People hardly knew what a six pack was in 1970. No one thought about it.

You sound like you are very fit. I bet you have a great body. Why not try to enjoy your body the way it is and find someone else who feels the same way about it? When the stomach muscles are relaxed, they tend to protrude a bit. This is natural. It can be viewed as attractive. The more you look at pictures of people who look the way you want to look, the worse your body will look. You can end up like one of the many muscle freaks on this and other lists, packing on freakish amounts of muscle that mostly make other people laugh into their hands. Or you can build up the body you have and enjoy it.

As far as six packs are concerned, they have to do with exposing the muscle. The lower the body fat, the more the six pack. You cannot change the basic shape of your muscles or their position vis-a-vis your skeleton. You can suck in your gut for the camera if you want. Aside from that, try to enjoy life. Love yourself the way you are.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast