Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How thorough is stronglifts? page

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member

How thorough is stronglifts?

Shop Now
    I've been following the stronglifts program, albeit with a few minor hitches due to illness, life, etc. and am seeing pretty dramatic changes in strength and fitness. I'm curious though, if by doing so, I'm missing something that I need to be working, or if it really is a good 'all around' workout. It certainly feels that way, but that can be deceiving.

I'm sure everyone knows what it is, but for the noobs that don't, the cliffnotes version is:
    A:
    Squat
    Deadlift
    Overhead press

B:
    Squat
    Bench
    Barbell Row

Work out every other day, start with the bar, add 5 pounds each workout, and do 5 sets of 5 reps.
    StrongLifts 5x5: How to Gain Raw Muscle And Brute Strength | StrongLifts.com

For example: I'm concerned about calves-will squatting and gaining strength in quads and hams cause problems if the calves aren't up to par? (Yes, sprinting is included in MY version.) I'm sure there are other balance/imbalance areas as well that aren't coming to mind (too many late nights this weekend!) but I'm others will think of them.

Thanks guys!
    Laurel

Thoughts?
    Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Calves are irrelevant except for bodybuilders. If you are sprinting and walking, your calves are doing all they need to be doing.

The only thing I'd say is that many people think you should be doing more pull than push, so you've got two days of push (press and bench press), but only one day of pull (barbell row). Some people say it should be 2:1 or 3: 1 pull vs. push (based on what, I'm not sure), but I try to achieve at least parity or a 3:2 of pull to push (or put another way, 3:2 of posterior: anterior).

I try to do rows (barbell, inverted body rows, or dumbbell rows) every workout.

Eklecktika is offline Senior Member
    So would adding kettlebell snatches be a decent addition? I do them as well, but not as part of my 'regularly scheduled programming'. Pretty much works the same group as the row, from what I 'feel' but again-maybe a good thing to do on the "A" days?

Thx!
    Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Bodybuilders train muscles, athletes train movements. Work out what you want to be able to do, athletically, then base your programming on that.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I don't follow SL but do similar stuff and the only isolation work I do is calves... for pure astethics.

Will Turner is offline Junior Member
    Just to clarify, I think Mehdi (Stronglifts founder) considers the Deadlift a pulling exercise, as do a lot of people. Deadlifting definitely hits my back muscles, upper and lower, quite well.
    If your gains are going so well and you aren't experiencing pain, why change things?

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Stronglifts is a good program, just the way it is.

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    That just looks like Starting Strength.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Deads do utilize your upper back as stabilizers. I personally don't think that's enough, but then again, I've had rotator cuff surgery so I'm extremely protective of my shoulder girdle. YMMV.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    Bodybuilders train muscles, athletes train movements.
    Best advice I have ever used. Well, except maybe the stop eating so many damned carbs and you won't look like the Michelin Man advice. That was pretty good too.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast