Thread: 4,000 Daily Calorie Intake? Is this normal? Help Please page

chris-the-writer is offline Junior Member

4,000 Daily Calorie Intake? Is this normal? Help Please

Primal Fuel
    I did the calculation of BMR and Harris Benedict and all that. Assuming I have a daily calorie deficit of about 941 calories, I have to consume 4,000 calories everyday. Is this a normal number? Seems like way too much to me.

Here's the calculations, btw.

BMR: 1938 (23 years old, 5 ft, 9 in., 184 lbs, Male)
    Activity Factor (Harris Benedict): 1938 x 1.55 (moderate activity) = 3003
    Average Daily Calorie Expenditure: 4941
    Daily Average Intake should be about: 4,000

Those seem like a lot of calories, am I accurate with this?

any input would be awesome
    Last edited by chris-the-writer; 06-06-2011 at 11:10 AM.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like a lot to me. I am 40 years old, 5'9", and weigh 150 pounds. I normally consume around 2000 per day. I workout with weights 2-3 times per week, daily walks of 3-5 miles, plus some sprints here and there. Otherwise, I do office work, but stand all day.

Maybe your activity is a lot higher, so you need the fuel? If you have a heavy labor job and/or do a lot of intense exercise throughout each day, it doesn't sound outrageous to need to eat that much.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    How active are you? I know if you are a high level athlete that does a lot of training all day you will need a lot more calories. But most people who work regular sedentary jobs and workout 45 minutes a day would probably only be moderately active. If you workout only a few times a week that would be considered "light" activity.

And you have to remember that those daily allowances are recommended by the Institute of Medicine and its a very general term. Everyone is a little different.

For me it recommends 3,500 calories a day but I couldn't eat that much even if I tried. I start getting really full around 2,200-2,500 calories. I exercise 6 days a week including track work/sprinting and strength training. I also play basketball in a league once a week. But even with that I am considered only "moderately" active.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Thanks john-turner. No, my activity is the "moderate amount". My job is from home on my computer. the only exercise is from the blueprint plan. I think the issue is this, which I posted on a separate thread already:

in PB book, when calculating your BMR and Harris Benedict (for activity factor), it says to multiply your BMR x 0.55 (if you do moderate acitivty, which is what I do. moderate activity, according to the Harris Benedict model, constitutes the basic PB workout plan, which reflects pretty much what you mentioned, John-turner).

BUT, online at the official Harris benedict website (which is suggested in the PB book), the number for "moderate activity" is 1.55, NOT 0.55.

So, the PB book says 0.55 for "moderate activity", but the same site that Mark Sisson recommends for making these calculations (bmi-calculator.net) says that "moderate activity" requires 1.55.

if I use 0.55, which is what is from the PB book, then I would have about the SAME calorie needs as you, John-turner. However, using the website's version (1.55), I get about 4,000. I even used wikipedia to see what is said about the Harris Benedict parameters, and even on wikipedia it says that "moderate activity" requires 1.55.

When you calculated your stuff (if you did), did you use 0.55 or 1.55?

dwkdnvr is offline Member
    I think you're misunderstanding the usage. Mark is specifying a factor of 0.55 to be ADDED to your base, whereas the Harris Benedict is specifying a factor of 1.55 as your net total. Same ultimate number, slightly different breakdowns.

Rapunzel is offline Member
    BMR: 1938 (23 years old, 5 ft, 9 in., 184 lbs, Male)
    Activity Factor (Harris Benedict): 1938 x 1.55 (moderate activity) = 3003
    Average Daily Calorie Expenditure: 4941
    Daily Average Intake should be about: 4,000

It's not your BMR + (BMR*Activty Factor) ...it's BMR*Activity factor =ADCE

If you want to lose ~ 1.882lbs per week, the 941 calorie deficit will get you there (if you believe the CICO theory, I won't get into that age-old argument here).

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    You don't ADD (1.55 x your BMR) to your BMR. 1.55 times your BMR is your daily calorie burn period.

I think this might be the confusion between the equation in the book and the one online.

1.55X = (1 + 0.55)X = x + 0.55X

If you want to calculate your calorie needs either:

a) calculate your BMR and multiple by 1.55 OR
    a) calculate your BMR, calculate the additional calories you need for your activities (0.55 x BMR) and then add the two together.
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

perfect, thanks guys

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    Way off. A 500 calorie deficit for you is around 2300 calories the way I calculate it. 2503 with the formula you posted.