Thread: Heather's Primal Journal page

HeatherJ is offline Senior Member

Heather's Primal Journal

Primal Fuel
    WHEREIN I TELL YOU ABOUT ME:
    I'm a 24 y/o female born in Florida, and currently living in England. I work for the ambulance service, live on my own, and am into acting, music, writing, painting, other art forms, fashion, nutrition & cooking, reading, travelling, and various other things. I have been reading MDA for several years on and off, but gave Primal a go in January this year, and have wavered between 80/20 and 20/80 until a couple weeks ago when I decided to stop messing around.

WHEREIN I TELL YOU ALL MY [HEALTH] PROBLEMS:
    I've been diagnosed with mild narcolepsy which comes with chronic fatigue and sleepiness, wheat intolerance, chronic back pain which has been attributed to a twisted spine, anxiety and depression in varying stages at varying times, woman problems, cervical cancer survivor, and recovered eating disordered.

WHEREIN I TELL YOU MY STATS AND GOALS:
    Height: 5'7"
    Current Weight: 171.4lbs, size 8/10 US
    Current Measurements: 38-28.5-41
    Goal Weight: 140ish, size 6US
    Goal Measurements: 37-27-38
    Daily Nutrients Goal: 1300-1500 cals/0-50g Carbs/120-140g Protein/55-105g Fat, supplements of fermented cod liver oil and probiotics

I went 100% on 26 May, 2011 weighing in at 178.4. I've lost 7lbs in 12 days, and I feel great.

At the moment, I'm not eating dairy or much fruit, alcohol, chocolate, etc. I'm sticking with eggs, meat, veg, fat, and some nuts. I'm doing 2 LHT sessions per week and getting daily LLC.
    Last edited by HeatherJ; 07-14-2011 at 08:17 PM.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Congrats on your great start!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Heather! Sounds like a good plan. Good luck with primal.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks to you both!

Today I've been 100% for 2 weeks. I weighed in at 169.8 today! I'm back in the 160's and could not be more pleased, especially since I started my TOM yesterday and expected water weight to occur.

In two weeks I've lost 8.6lbs, 1/2" from my waist, 1.5" from my hips, and 1" off each thigh .

This is the easiest period I've ever had, and that's saying a lot. I've actually forgotten that I'm on it more than once. No 'floods' or heavy bleeding, no crippling pain and cramps, no mood swings or cravings or break outs. Truly incredible.

And what's more.. I'm super proud of myself for sticking to this (dare I say with ease?) despite all of the really hard stuff going on in my life that would normally have me bingeing every night.

I bought kangaroo burgers at the market the other day, and wow! Are they good. I want to try other meats now, and the company sells nearly everything you could think of. I also got my meat order from the farm yesterday; over 20lbs of organic, grass-fed, free-range beef, pork, chicken, and lamb. I am truly blessed to be able to do this for myself.

My skin is so much smoother and softer, I am waking up easily and with energy in the mornings, and I'm experiencing less fatigue and EDS (excessive daytime sleepiness). I walk everywhere anyway because I don't have a car, but now I can (mostly) see this as an opportunity to move instead of a nuisance. I'm doing the LHT sessions, and enjoying them. Although I wonder if my technique is correct, but the important thing if that I'm doing them at all.

Last Saturday I went out for a meal with my OH, and I had some dairy (a bit of buffalo mozzarella and a bit of cream in a sauce) and also a small glass of red wine. I'm not sure if it was the alcohol or the dairy, or neither/both, but I had horrific anxiety for the rest of the night. It's scared me off them a bit, to be honest.

It's been a month since my last update. I haven't been near a computer.

Well, I am a mess right now. Far too much stress in life, recent surgery, a huge faceplant into a 2-week binge, and I feel freaking awful. I'm still maintaining the loss in inches, however in pounds- notsomuch. I'm honestly not bothered. This is not about a number on the scale for me, it's about my health and right now it sucks.

Trying to regain control. I've got an Arvigo massage booked for Monday. I'm at work all weekend which means computer access, which means time to read and study and learn. I stay on track when I can immerse myself in the literature. Never has this seemed more like a lifestyle than some simple 'diet'.

I'm tired, and I'm sick of feeling this way. Pants size and weight loss need to take a backseat (I'm not even freaking fat, I'm fitting into size 12UK/8 US and I need to get a grip). This has now become all about healing, I don't care what form it takes. I just need to Stop.Feeling.This.Way.
    Recent posts on Peggy's blog (The Primal Parent | Raising primal kids in the modern world) and a conversation with Stefani (Paleo Pepper) have given me some much needed motivation and focus, and now I feel ready to get back on track and tackle this crap.

Sorry this isn't more positive :P

A disastrous appointment with an allergist and dietician has left me feeling triumphant today.

Neither were particularly interested in what I had to say, with the dietician talking over me constantly and getting smirked at by both of them when talking about the paleo diet. the allergist made me feel uncomfortable about being an american (several comments made to the dietician in front of me began with 'these americans...' and when she asked why I hadnt had test done in the US, I replied 'couldnt afford it.' She asked why, and I began to briefly explain about the US insurance system. She interrupted me and said, 'I KNOW how the system works; I lived in san fransisco for 3 years'. Well W[hy]TF did you ask then!?
    The dietician told me, about a dozen times, that she would recommend getting 50% of my calories from starchy carbs and grains, even after I explained that I don't eat grains. She also said that because I don't eat grains, legumes, or dairy, I was probably falling far short of the recommended daily calcium intake of 700mg. I said dairy was not a necessary source of calcium, considering vegetables and fruits have plenty. She disagreed and advised that I take a calcium supplement. I told her I'd track the amount of calcium I'm getting and report back on my next visit. Tallied up today's amount: 736mg. Yeah... supplementation not needed.
    She had never heard of Paleo and kept referring to it as a 'new Atkins-esque fad diet'. I mentioned its longevity including weston a. price's work, and offered to give her a list of good resources but she said she'd look into it 'on her own' meaning most likely she'll look for articles and sources which try to refute it. I did warn her to keep an open mind when reading as it will contradict much of what she was taught, however there is plenty of evidence to support the diet. *sigh* I can't say I was expecting much different, but it's still very frustrating and discouraging. In the end though, I know I'm doing what's right.

nidayedea is offline Junior Member
    Last Saturday I went out for a meal with my OH, and I had some dairy (a bit of buffalo mozzarella and a bit of cream in a sauce) and also a small glass of red wine. I'm not sure if it was the alcohol or the dairy, or neither/both, but I had horrific anxiety for the rest of the night. It's scared me off them a bit, to be honest.