Thread: Need Fitness Plan Help To Break Plateau - What To Do Other Than Rock Climb? page

Grim is offline Member

Need Fitness Plan Help To Break Plateau - What To Do Other Than Rock Climb?

Primal Fuel
    Title says it. I rock climb. Specifically, I sport climb and boulder. Both of those consist of shorter routes that focus on pure power and strength (with some technique). Climbing is a great full body exercise with heavy emphasis on the arms, back, and core. It often takes me a day or more to fully recover.

I may be out at the rocks for a 4-8 hours depending on certain variables, but in generally I'm on the rock at least an hour. If I'm not climbing I'm normally belaying, which isn't intense at all, but it does require some activity. Hike to the climbing area is anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes, depending on where we go, with a lot of walking around during the day.

So...I need some help with what to add to my routine. I'm stuck at 182lbs and I'm 95% sure more exercise will help me get past my last 10-15 (maybe 20) lbs. I haven't been doing a lot during the week for fear of over training. I haven't had a -set- routine since I went primal, but I think it's time that I do. Also, I'm considering climbing to be in the "lift heavy things" category.

How about this?

Mondays: Sprints
    Tuesdays: Slow pace
    Wednesday: HIIT/Tabata
    Thursday: Slow pace
    Friday: Slow pace
    Saturday/Sunday: Climbing - What if I don't climb? Do a lift heavy things routine?

Help me get primal!

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Definitely do some LHT! Check out my minimal equipment workouts if you need some ideas.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

jaysond is offline Senior Member
    knowing the loosing fat is 80% eating change something there. try fasting, try going under 50 grams carbs for a month and see what happens!

i went primal in feb 2010
    200lbs
    37% body fat
    38-40 waist

1 year to the day
    140lbs
    7.8% body fat
    29 waist

currently
    137lbs
    7% body fat
    29 waist

Grim is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysondecambra View Post
    knowing the loosing fat is 80% eating change something there. try fasting, try going under 50 grams carbs for a month and see what happens!
    I've lost 40-50lbs going primal, I'm aware. I am going lower carb/calorie right now to help.

PokeyBug is offline Member
    For Saturday/Sunday, have you considered trying one of Mark's Workouts of the Week? Workout of the Week (WOW) Archive | Mark's Daily Apple They usually emphasize LHT, but they can add some variety to what you're doing, maybe shake things up for you.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I'd strength train on Wed with focus on the areas your rock climbing misses... like chest, quads, etc.

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Hey fellow climber

I climb around 3 days a week, do yoga everyday (this helps with climbing too--flexibility and balance, not to mention working the push muscles as opposed to the pull ones used in climbing), and play soccer with friends once a week. The climbing and yoga are my strength (with a bit of cardio), hiking to the crags is low aerobic activity, and the soccer is sprints. If you don't like soccer then just do sprints like you're doing. I wouldn't bother adding any heavy lifting...I stopped lifting when I started climbing and don't really see it as necessary anymore.

Grim is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymb View Post
    Hey fellow climber

I climb around 3 days a week, do yoga everyday (this helps with climbing too--flexibility and balance, not to mention working the push muscles as opposed to the pull ones used in climbing), and play soccer with friends once a week. The climbing and yoga are my strength (with a bit of cardio), hiking to the crags is low aerobic activity, and the soccer is sprints. If you don't like soccer then just do sprints like you're doing. I wouldn't bother adding any heavy lifting...I stopped lifting when I started climbing and don't really see it as necessary anymore.
    Right on! Great to have advice from a fellow climber.

I'll post my snazzy (but fuzzy) climbing picture too! Had to unclip the previous draw, long story. :P

IMG_2350 resize..jpg
    Last edited by Grim; 06-06-2011 at 05:55 PM.

robf is offline Member
    Crossfit. Everything is better with crossfit.