Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Glenn page

Glenn is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal - Glenn

Primal Fuel
    Well I probably should have started this when I started primal, but better late then never right? I weigh myself every week so I guess that is what I'll be updating with, I also take progress pictures each month.

So some information, I'm 6'3 and I'll be 24 in August. It was my goal to change my life this year, and I wanted to be close to my goal weight of 215 lbs by my birthday. Happy to say, it looks like that might be a reality. I started primal and stronglifts on April 1st, I weighed 300.4 lbs. Before primal I was not treating my body well, I would eat hotpockets, doritos, snack cakes, chewy bars etc. I ate like that everyday.

The week before I started, I ate like normal but wrote everything down. I was eating around 4000 calories and upwards of 350 grams of carbs a day, a lot of it from sugar alone. I was disappointed in myself and more then ready to give it all up and change my body.

I hate vegetables, I don't know why, but I do. I don't mind romaine lettuce though, so I eat a lot of it.

I started primal with stronglifts 5x5. I did that program for 3 1/2 months. As of 7/25/2011 I'm going with pretty much the same thing, just a little different. Add weight each workout. Workout 3x per week. Take a week off and deload after 6-8 weeks. Sets and reps are 3x5.

Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift / Overhead press (alternating)

I sprint once a week on Saturdays. 10 second sprint up a slight hill, 50 second rest, repeat for 10-15 minutes (I'm having to add to it because 10 minutes doesn't get me out of breath anymore). I walk for an hour on off days and for 30 minutes on lifting days.

I do a one day fast on Sunday. I also use an eating window the rest of the time. I get in roughly 2400-2500 calories a day coming from eggs, ground beef, chicken, coconut oil, bacon, nuts and vegetables.

My meals have changed here and there over the past 4 months. However, I've always eaten at least 2,000 calories a day. After the huge weight loss of the first two month I started steadily adding food / bigger servings to my diet. I've been getting in 2300-2400 calories for the past month. I might bump that up a little more for month 5, especially with the heavy lifting.

The staples from the start have always been eggs, ground beef, chicken and romaine lettuce. I sometimes eat almonds, olives, pepperoni and pork rinds. For the past 2 months bacon has become a staple as well. For the past month I eaten 1-2 bananas a day as well as a cup of milk. For this next month I'm cutting the bananas until maybe pre-workout and using the milk post-workout only.

Weight loss so far:
    Month 1: 26 lbs
    Month 2: 19.6 lbs
    Month 3: 14.6 lbs
    Month 4: 9.8 lbs
    Month 5: 5.2 lbs

Updated 5 month progress pics

Again, I'll update with my progress every week, as well as post progress pictures each month, They will also be in the "Before and after" thread.

Many thanks to Mark, and everyone on this forum for sharing your experiences and success, it means a lot.
    Last edited by Glenn; 09-04-2011 at 11:51 AM.
    Height: 6'2
    Primal start date: April 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 300.4 lbs
    Current Weight: 226 lbs (1/16/2012)
    Goal weight: 205 lbs
    Total lost so far: 74.4 lbs

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Wow! That's amazing progress.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Thanks Belinda.

After taking a few days off from lifting I decided to go ahead and lift this morning. This was my first time lifting in the morning on an empty stomach. I was a little worried, but it turned out great. I felt explosive and went through all my lifts without any problems. That could be party due to taking 20% off all my lifts though. I LOVE lifting in the morning. This morning it was about 72 degrees outside, when I usually lift it's in the upper 90's, it made a huge difference I think.

As I said in another thread, last Wednesday ,right after lifting, my grandpa asked me to help him cut grass. I wanted to ask him to move it to another day but I knew he'd be stubborn and cut it all by himself, so I said sure. Well 5 hours of cutting grass in 95 degree weather was not a good idea to say the least. I came home exhausted, stomach hurting, and throwing up. I probably should have taken the rest of the week off but I didn't. On Friday I went right back into lifting and that workout sucked.

I should have given my body enough time to recover from something like that, instead of going right back into lifting, walking, and sprints. Well, lesson learned lol.

mgardne is offline Member
    How do you like the stronglifts 5x5 workout program? I have looked into that for about a month, but have not done it yet.

I like it a lot, I do the occasional arm curls with it, and I also do pull ups, planks and push ups. The weight gets heavy fast adding 5 lbs every workout. I did 5x5 for 2 months but I have recently dropped it to 3x5 because of the weight involved. Some people start with 5x5 others start with 3x5, I say which ever one your comfortable with. With 3x5 I it will take longer for you to hit plateaus. With 5x5, eventually the volume will be too much when the weights start getting really heavy.

Well today is the end of week 10 of primal + stronglifts. I weighed in this morning at 247 lbs. I lost 2.8 lbs last week. Seems my weight loss has finally started to slow down a good bit, or it could have just been a weird week. I noticed I was eating more then usual last week. I don't know why but I was feeling more hungry then usual and so I ate some more.

Lifting in the morning is going great. I love the cooler temperatures. I'm doing the same workout but I don't feel nearly as drained compared to when I was lifting when it was 95+ outside. As I said before I deloaded 20% on all my lifts last Wednesday, I'm slowly building back up to where I was before.

Squat: 195 lbs
    Overhead press: 110 lbs
    Bench press: 155 lbs
    Barbell row: 105 lbs
    Deadlift: 225 lbs

Made a few adjustments to my lifting today, mainly with the time I take between sets and exercises. Tried cutting my rest time between sets down to 1 minute and it worked out great. Got through my whole workout in just under 45 minutes, including warm ups and stretching. I also moved my workouts back to mid afternoon. I liked the temperatures in the early morning and I wasn't having trouble with energy but my lower, upper back and neck were real stiff and sore after the workouts, something that does not happen when I lift later in the afternoon.

Today is the end of week 11. I weighed in this morning at 243.4 lbs. I lost 3.6 lbs this past week. This brings my total weight loss from 11 weeks of primal + stronglifts to 57 lbs. I started using pork chops instead of chicken. Maybe it's because I've been eating chicken daily for almost 3 months, but the pork chops taste amazing.

One more week until the 3 month mark and I'll be posting some more progress pictures. I expect I might lose at least 3 more pounds next week which will bring my total for this month to just over 14 lbs. It seems it's starting to slow down, but of course that is expected as you get closer to your ideal weight. On the first month I lost 26 lbs, the second month I lost 19.6 lbs, and I seem to be on track this month to lose just over 14 lbs.

I've really been keeping my last few workouts short and intense. My workout on Friday clocked in at 39 minutes. I was thinking about adding in a second sprint day this week as well. I remember the first time I did those sprints, it was my first week of primal. It did not go well but I pushed through it. My asthma acted up and I'd be sitting on the porch for 20 minutes trying to recover. Now I do them with no problem, no more asthma, and I feel fully recovered in 5 minutes or less.

Anyway, I look forward to next week and hopefully seeing some more changes in the pictures.

Today marks the end of 3 months of primal eating. Still have about 25 lbs to go before I reach my goal weight but I'm absolutely blown away by the progress I've made so far. I thought I was going to be overweight for the rest of my life. With the way I was eating before primal I'd probably be upwards of 320+ lbs by now.

This "diet" is so easy to stick to. Do I sometimes miss eating ice cream, red velvet cake etc? Sure I do, but I don't CRAVE them anymore. When I get hungry I look forward to eating meat and veggies instead of hotpockets and sweets.

I weighed in this morning at 240.2 lbs. That brings my weight loss for the 3rd month to 14.6 lbs and my 3 month total to just over 60 lbs. It's slowing down for sure but honestly I don't care. I don't care because I know that if I'm eating primal, doing my sprints, walks and weight training, my body will take care of the rest for me. I know I'm putting the work in, so I know I will get the results.

Anyway, here are some progress pictures.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/...sidebyside.png

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/...bysideside.png

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh and lifting progress so far. I did a 20% deload on all lifts besides deadlift, so I'm pretty much back to where I was just before the deload. Which is fine because that, coupled with a couple days rest really helped me out a lot.

Squat: Start - 95lbs / Now - 225lbs
    Bench Press: Start - 115lbs / Now - 170lbs
    Barbell Row: Start - 45lbs / Now - 120lbs
    Overhead Press: Start - 55lbs / Now - 125lbs
    Deadlift: Start - 115lbs / Now 255lbs

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast